What's new

How many shave brushes do you own?

Really nice Simpson collection. I wonder how long did it take to get to this point?
Simpson have a loyal following here.

I completed the Simpson brushes back in December. I started wetshaving back around 2009. Started here and fell out of posting which I'm trying to remedy and post more. I am by far more a reader than a poster. Right now the brush collecting has started to taper down. I realized too today when I posted that picture I didn't include some Simfix brushes I have that perhaps should have a spot in there too. My goal with my Simpson brushes were to get one of each model in the standard faux ivory that is in the active Simpson catalog you can find at any vendor. Very happy with the selection and definitely feels complete to me. :)

No way I have one of everything ever made. That would be absolutely large. Simpson alone would cover half that mark if you included the multiple derivatives in different grades. Simpson would be the one I have the most of. Some of the brushes seen in this pic I don't have now like the Tortoise Wee Scot and the T3 Manchurian in whatever rod material (Strawberry?) it was. It's possible to amass quite a collection.

View attachment 900065

Top row: Major Super, Captain 2 Best, Polo 8 Super, M7 Manchurian in Briar, H6, PJ3 in Best, PJ3 in Super, 58, T4 Super, T3 Manchurian (Traded)

Second row down: Keyhole 4, Emperor 2, Emperor 1, Colonel X2L, M6, Milk Churn 2, Prefix Chubby 3 Super, Chubby 3 Candystripe in Manchurian, Chubby 2 Manchurian in Amber, Chubby 2 Silvertip in Black Marble, Chubby 2 Silvertip (same quality as gray box 2-band Super).

Third row down: Chubby 2 Super, Chubby 2 Best, Chubby 2 Synthetic, Chubby 1 Super, Beaufort 3, Special Best, Duke 3 Manchurian in Walnut, Jubilee LE, Duke 1 Best, Eagle 3 Pure, Commodore X2 2-band Best

Fourth row down: Rover Best, P8, 46 Berkeley Best, Classic 2 Best, Special Boar, Case Best

Very front: Wee Scot and Tortoiseshell Wee Scot (Sold)

I am not worthy...holy smokes...:001_rolle Beautiful by the way and of course I was kidding about having one of everything. I had one boar, blinked and I had ten brushes, so I can certainly see how you can amass such a fine assortment. :a14:

I am not worthy...holy smokes...:001_rolle Beautiful by the way and of course I was kidding about having one of everything. I had one boar, blinked and I had ten brushes, so I can certainly see how you can amass such a fine assortment. :a14:

No problem Somnos. I realize now that you didn't mean that, but sometimes I take things a bit too literally. lol ;)

One for now, an Omega Syntax 90081. I like it, but am looking to try something new. My next shave purchase will be a new synthetic brush. I have been trying to learn more about some of the newer synthetics on the market. From what I am reading it sounds like they will blow away my Omega.

It's been forever since I actually took the time to count how many I have. 176. I just about have no room left in my cabinet to hold any new additions. Guess I would if I got rid of soaps, creams, and colognes...

Good grief!

How do you store all of them, if you don't mind me asking?

A separate storage cupboard of some sort?

It's been forever since I actually took the time to count how many I have. 176. I just about have no room left in my cabinet to hold any new additions. Guess I would if I got rid of soaps, creams, and colognes...

Sorry, just took the time to read the second line of your post.

Once I got to the "176" part, pretty much got hooked to that.

Sorry, just took the time to read the second line of your post.

Once I got to the "176" part, pretty much got hooked to that.

No problem. I can understand that. I do have a storage cabinet I used to store other things, but my brushes took over and kicked out the previous residents. lol :)

No problem. I can understand that. I do have a storage cabinet I used to store other things, but my brushes took over and kicked out the previous residents. lol :)
I have so many that I can't use any of them as much as I'd like to. I can't imagine how you'd get around to using 176. But hats off to your BAD. I salute you sir.

I have so many that I can't use any of them as much as I'd like to. I can't imagine how you'd get around to using 176. But hats off to your BAD. I salute you sir.

You want to know how I get around to using 176? I don't. :lol1:

I'm serious. Of that number I have a good amount I've never used once. Some were bought used and I've never used it once, and some are brand new and never used. Got a good number there. The number will decrease in time. Getting rid of any is like pulling a finger nail, and I only have 10 on my hand, and 8 toe nails. So not a lot of room to work with there. lol

Current status:

A boar, a synth and a badger.
A photo is a requirement.

IMG_20180803_214411.jpg

You want to know how I get around to using 176? I don't. :lol1:

I'm serious. Of that number I have a good amount I've never used once. Some were bought used and I've never used it once, and some are brand new and never used. Got a good number there. The number will decrease in time. Getting rid of any is like pulling a finger nail, and I only have 10 on my hand, and 8 toe nails. So not a lot of room to work with there. lol
I sympathize with you on the pain of letting go. I've never been able to thin the herd .

I sympathize with you on the pain of letting go. I've never been able to thin the herd .

I know how hard it is to thin the herd, and then I go and compound the problem by looking at more brushes making me want more brushes. lol

I've developed some resistance as the years have passed, but SBAD is my disorder first and foremost, that's for certain.

I think my reply is worth mentioning that I don't find brushes to be that important to me. I tried a finest, boar and silvertip. I can shave with a $10 boar brush. I think people get carried away or just like Larry said, they like to look at their cabinet just to decide what to use. it is fun for those people but for me, i tend to stick to just 1 brush, my 3318 savile row which is silvertip. i did buy about 7 more, including a simpson chubby 1 super, and a 3120 savile row, and a custom shavemac 20mm, an AOS, all of these are shavemac anyway and silvertip. i'm going to offload all of them and going to order a new custom shavemac in 18mm since i realize that is my preferred size.

I dont like any of the other brushes I have especially my simpson, its too dense. but i had to buy it to try it. i only use 1 soft soap unscented and sometimes i add a tiny bit of speick or musgo real to that. i can use any brush with any soap or cream. and any brush can use both soaps and creams also. i think at most i would ever want to own is 2 brushes, an 18mm and an 18mm with the same handles, maybe a different color :) And the reason for that is just in case I lose or break one, I have the other. Or to let them dry completely between shaves which is 3 days for me. Thats 6 days between shaves :)

Top Bottom