What's new

How many notepads/journals do you have on the go?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My pile of in use books just keeps growing. I have nine on the go at the moment.

General scribbles: A4 wirebound
Working through current challenges, short term projects, phone notes, birthday present ideas, etc. Once the book is full, it's disposed of. It's only job is for managing the thoughts of the moment, but it's also the most often used.

Contacts Book: A6 Staplebound
In case my phone dies. Again.

Pipe Tobacco: A6 Staplebound
Reminders of what I liked and didn't like, for reordering purposes, and a running record of what's currently in my ten small jars that are simply labelled A to J.

Creative Writing Projects: Assorted (3)
I currently have an A5 wirebound for seedling ideas, an A5 Staplebound for one writing project, and an A4 hardback wirebound for a larger second project. The writing itself is done digitally, but the books help me navigate ideas for key moments and work out conflicts, continuity, timelines, and plot themes, away from the main body of text.

Shopping Temptations: A5 Staplebound
A new book concept for me, to manage my spending, and curb impulsive buying. If I get tempted to buy something, I write it in the book, instead of just ordering it, unless it's a genuinely essential item that I have immediate need for. At the end of the financial month, I'll look what's in the bank, and decide how much is "disposable", then work out what temptations in the book (if any) I'll allow myself to have this month.

Pocket Notepads: 7x5 x 12cm Staplebound (2)
Mainly just used for grocery shopping, but I'll also take one out and about for jotting down reminders, especially if meeting friends and family.

Anyone else have a pile of in-use books?

Typically 3 or 4.
a. "daily to do lists"
b. collected book of wisdom on a variety of topics pen, clothes, tools, shoes, shooting, AAR re a travel bag set up etc.
c. a pocket size pad
d. A notebook for my Scout Troop's 100th celebration this summer such that it presently has its own notebook

a. is a 1917 journal;
b is an A5 black and red hardback
c. is wither a pocket sized A7 Nimosine
d. is an 5ish x 8 ish GSA green Leadership notebook in hard back ( great form factor, affirmatively NOT fountain pen freindly. Marginal at best even if you write every other page on the whole.)

Notes from the pocket one often make it into the daily lists.

I probably have 7-8 going at one time. However, this is because I will start a book for a recurring topic and then use that book only for that topic. The books end up being in use for years. Examples are:
1. Monthly blind wine tasting group.
2. Monthly meetings of the local wine & food group I'm on the board of.
3. Meetings of the Chicago Dickens Fellowship, which I chair.
4. Meetings of the partners of a restaurant group I partially own.

The books are always Clairfontaine hardbound A4 size, as I bought a boatload of them years ago when they were on a closeout somewhere.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
My "EDC" :) is a little green spiral notebook that fits in my pants back pocket. On the cover I carefully wrote, "The Wit and Wisdom of Dear Leader." I've carried numerous notebooks with that slogan on them, primarily inspired by this stuff:

1655162228286.png

I will say that a succession of deans who had to put up with me were moderately amused that I would whip that thing out, click on my Vanishing Point pen (with purple ink!) and write down their rambl...I mean...important pronunciamenti.

I also have a notebook for bread experiments, one for brewing, one for things in the garden and one for mechanical ideas.

Actually, I hadn't really thought about it until you asked the question. Now I feel a bit self-conscious.

O.H.

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I can see the wisdom of topic journals. Piecing things together across pages in yearly bullet journals does not make sense if it’s something you’re sticking with and working a lot.

Yup. Most of what I write, is of the moment. Its relevance might last a week, at best.

Some things though, at least for me, do need to be accessible over a longer period, and over time, they have demanded their own notebooks, even if they don't get used as often.

I have a variety of notebooks, for all sorts of purposes: to do, lists, session notes (medical or other, in separate books) and scribbling notes to self. I am trying to find some that I really like. For bound ones, I have liked the Moleskine Volant pocket journals, as all sheets can be easily detached.

I am also trying several different Mnemosyne spiral bound for record and note taking. The paper in these is wonderful for my fountain pens.

At work, I want to get a nice "reporter" style notepad with spiral on top so that I can easily write on front and back. I find it wonderful to have something handy to take notes on during a phone call or such, and then can rewrite, if needed, more cleanly and clearly for any "official" document.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
At work, I want to get a nice "reporter" style notepad with spiral on top so that I can easily write on front and back.

I picked up an interesting pad, last time I stocked up on my usual Rhodia and Clairefontaine "exercise book" style, staple bound pads. It's wirebound at the top, BUT in landscape orientation.

20220616_222334.jpg

20220616_222308.jpg

It's made in Japan by Midori, and is B7 sized. 100 sheets. Maybe a little large for some pockets, but might work very nicely on a desk for phone notes. I find the pages too narrow on a lot of the top bound pads, which is why this one caught my eye. I haven't assigned it a role yet, it's just sat in the drawer with all my spare pads, but I did test it with fountain pens, and it worked fine.

I picked up an interesting pad, last time I stocked up on my usual Rhodia and Clairefontaine "exercise book" style, staple bound pads. It's wirebound at the top, BUT in landscape orientation.

View attachment 1473397

View attachment 1473398

It's made in Japan by Midori, and is B7 sized. 100 sheets. Maybe a little large for some pockets, but might work very nicely on a desk for phone notes. I find the pages too narrow on a lot of the top bound pads, which is why this one caught my eye. I haven't assigned it a role yet, it's just sat in the drawer with all my spare pads, but I did test it with fountain pens, and it worked fine.
Thanks, Al, it looks exactly like what I am thinking of using!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Thanks, Al, it looks exactly like what I am thinking of using!

Happy to help! :thumbup1:

For size perspective, here it is with a Parker 45 (probably the only fountain pen I own that most folks will be familiar with :001_tongu )

IMG_20220617_011623.jpg

... and a link to the listing at Cult pens, in case there's anything else there you need to know...

I run an A5 using a personalized Bullet system for a general journal, daily task list, etc. I'll give small projects a couple pages and ID it in the ToC, but I don't do anything that warrants it's own book. and I run a moleskine pocket notebook when I leave the house. shopping lists, daily task lists and and general random notes needed taking go in it. and I will cross populate each from the other as required. and populate my digital calendar from paper.

I'm more recently getting more into using my phone for a lot of things too. grocery shopping lists, daily timed reminders, and easily alertable things.

a. is a 1917 journal;
b is an A5 black and red hardback
c. is wither a pocket sized A7 Nimosine
d. is an 5ish x 8 ish GSA green Leadership notebook in hard back ( great form factor, affirmatively NOT fountain pen freindly. Marginal at best even if you write every other page on the whole.)

Notes from the pocket one often make it into the daily lists.

I started with a softsided 1917 5mm gridded, then a hardback, but now have gone to a paper covered Life Nobel in a Popov Leather cover. I really prefer the grids over dots or lined, and hence the switch. could find a 1917 with grids the last couple times I looked, and the Popov gives more storage in a nicer package.

that GSA "Leader's book"... hated it except for the price being right. after I started using fountain pens I refused, thus getting the 1917 and starting a Bullet system in it.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Currently, I have five in use.

•A Rhodia Classic A4 notebook for ink samples, or whenever I ink up a new pen and ink combination.

•An Apica CD15 notebook for journaling.

•An Apica CD15 notebook for longer or more permanent lists (gear inventory, reading lists, etc.).

•An Apica Premium A5 notebook (CDS90W) for more planned or focused artistic expression.

•A Leuchtturm1917 A5 notebook for doodling and more mess around types of sketches and art.

Top Bottom