What's new

How many members use both carts & SE/DE razos?

They may sit for extreme lengths of time untouched, but there will always be Good News in my cabinet! :thumbup1:
The Sensor of the disposable world, possibly one of the best double blade's to be made?

Carts and DE/SE and occasionally a cutthroat......and I'm another one that keeps Good News razors on hand.

The Good News is my goto travel razor.

Well using de is a ceremony. Since work i shave weekdays and pass weekends. On sunday evening, after shower when my beard growht is more than a day i use double edge with all the ceremony included. But on weekdays i simply use cart and can to cut daily stubble... This routine favours my mood to use de since it leave it 'special' for me... Also i think carts are better on daily shaving and never clogs.

I only use a DE on my face, but I shave my head with Dorco Pace 3 carts. For a head shave, I'm looking for speed, not perfection.

After considering the trashing I may get, I usually use all three. I love making the first pass with a SE, leaving those difficult areas under my nose and around my lips. I then use the straight edge of the cart under my nose and the normal blades around my lips. For the second pass, I use my DE against the grain. Gives a great shave, usually the best. Carts work will on the second pass also with the first few passes. But who wants to change a Fusion blade every third or fourth shave. I really enjoy the first pass with a SE, so that's the reason I use it. With the combination of SE and DE, I avoid having to make a third pass. I have enough "technique " for a full SE shave, but normally do the three razor approach.

I'm another that uses all three regularly - just depends on my mood and how much time I have to spend shaving on that particular day.

I shave in the evenings with first year production 1949-1955 Gillette Super Speeds in rotation. On workdays, Monday through Friday, I shave in the morning at 4:30AM with a first year X4, 1977 Gillette Atra, but on weekend mornings-with a Super Speed. Choosing a cartridge razor in the early morning was predicated by the need for quickness and time efficiency.

I learned to shave using a Gillette Trac II, but I have been unable to locate an excellent example. Once I have that-I will switch to the Trac II, just for sentimental reasons if nothing else. As we systematically examine saved items in my mother's estate-I am hoping to come across my Trac II from those early shaving days. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Last edited:
I use DE for daily shaving, and weekly I shave the fuzz in front of my receding hairline with a Schick Extreme 3 cart. I like the way it conforms to my scalp.

I shave in the evenings with first year production 1949-1955 Gillette Super Speeds in rotation. On workdays, Monday through Friday, I shave in the morning at 4:30AM with a first year X4, 1977 Gillette Atra, but on weekend mornings-with a Super Speed. Choosing a cartridge razor in the early morning was predicated by the need for quickness and time efficiency.

I learned to shave using a Gillette Trac II, but I have been unable to locate an excellent example. Once I have that-I will switch to the Trac II, just for sentimental reasons if nothing else. As we systematically examine saved items in my mother's estate-I am hoping to come across my Trac II from those early shaving days. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

If you're interesting in finding some of the original Trac II's plus lots of after market ones, Ebay usually has many. You may wish to take a look.

I shave with a Trac II about 75% of the time, mostly for time constraint reasons. I switch between SE, DE, and straights recreationally the rest of the time.

Thank you Don Mac! I have now a mint case and blank cartridge that came attached to the razor head from new. I do have a Canadian white styrene with black lettering, blade dispenser that would have gone inside the case, but I am hoping that an American market one will surface. There are several period Trac II's on ebay at the moment-NOS in unopened hang cards, but unfortunately the sellers want my first born child in return for their wares. I am looking for a first year production one that can be made to look nice with some elbow grease, that has not suffered the abuse that these razors seem to have had. I do look at ebay as a source, as I am not in an area in which these can be found in thrift or antique stores. Thanks again for the tip! I am, if anything-patient, as a nice one will show up eventually. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

I travel quite a bit and have always checked my bag, never worried about bringing my shave gear.

I am going to go the "carry on" route for a while. I bought a nice hefty cartridge razor that uses twin blades. Any more thank that and I fear ingrowns.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445917069.163025.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445917104.081755.jpg

Will see how it goes.

I use everything (except electric or power handles), although I mostly use carts when I'm traveling. Maybe I should track on a calendar to figure out what percent of the time I use each type of razor?

i been useing de for 2 months now even decided to stop my dollar shave club acount. on a whim i used my dollar shave club razor other day its the 6 blade one was not as close of a shave as i get witht he tech razor i been useing. and this may sound strange but i must got very use to the weight and size of a de. casue the cart razor felt way lighter to me. and it felt funny to shave with.

If traveling carry on only, I'll bring along a Bic single. Not quite a cartridge. Very cheap, easily found in all pharmacies, and very consistent DFS with my soap and brush of choice.

Top Bottom