What's new

How many duplicates?

In the BST I often see threads where a member is selling 4 or more copies of the same model razor. Apparently my RAD does not extend to this extreme because I am mystified by this occurrence. I would think 3 of any razor would be sufficient--one for travel, one for home, and one for display. Unless you are keeping different razors in different bathrooms, have multiple dopp kits, or????

Someone explain this phenomenon for me. What do you need with 5 superspeeds or 7 GEMs?

In the BST I often see threads where a member is selling 4 or more copies of the same model razor. Apparently my RAD does not extend to this extreme because I am mystified by this occurrence. I would think 3 of any razor would be sufficient--one for travel, one for home, and one for display. Unless you are keeping different razors in different bathrooms, have multiple dopp kits, or????

Someone explain this phenomenon for me. What do you need with 5 superspeeds or 7 GEMs?

I have several duplicates that I am saving for gifts.

Other duplicates are because I bought a razor I liked then found another just like it but in better condition, or at a really good price.

They've probably bought lots. That is, 5 or 6 or 10 razors at a time.

A typical lot will have a Valet Autostrop, a Gem Micromatic and G series Eversharp Schick injector razor in it to dilute the value of the Gillettes. :smile:

- Chris

I like to have duplicates of my razors just so I have a "backup". If I find a very good price on razors I already own, I will still buy them to clean up & keep or give as gifts to newbie friends.

1 for home
1 for travel
1 for display

1 for BACKUP

(tho, I have no duplicates myself.)

Last edited:
I often have duplicates because I buy lots. It also happens because I upgrade the condition.
The last reason is impuse buying. Sometimes I see something I have on ebay and get it anyways, then realize I had no need for it.

I often buy lots on eBay that have just 1 or 2 razors in it that I want, and the rest I don't. Selling the duplicates helps offset the cost of the razors I want to keep.

Legion

Staff member
When my RAD was in full swing I would get a razor, then a spare, then a spare for the spare in case something happened to it, then... well, you get the picture.

I forced myself to get over that, though and sold or PIF'd all my spares. I now only have one of each. Except I bought a second slim the other day. Because it was there. oh ohhh... It's. Happening. Again!!! :eek:

When my RAD was in full swing I would get a razor, then a spare, then a spare for the spare in case something happened to it, then... well, you get the picture.

I forced myself to get over that, though and sold or PIF'd all my spares. I now only have one of each. Except I bought a second slim the other day. Because it was there. oh ohhh... It's. Happening. Again!!! :eek:

:lol::lol:

1 for home
1 for travel
1 for display

1 for BACKUP

(tho, I have no duplicates myself.)

I have three Techs for this reason and one of everything else except a second Injector I got as a freebie in a transaction. I have one of everything else. I guess I don't see the need? I watch a lot of sales on ebay and sometimes have come close to bidding on razors I already have, but something holds me back (and not my gf either!).

Gifting is a nice idea I'd not thought of. Lots as well, I could see ending up with a lot of stuff you didn't need/want to get something you did.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
+1 on Lots
+1 on gifts / give aways

I also have a few repeats because I also collect, and I may have the same or a very similar razor but it goes in a different case.
The Richwood and the Bostonian for example.

I have about 7 fat handle techs (3 gold and 3 silver) as well as a thin handle British Tech and a gold ball-handle Tech. I use 1 of the silver Techs as my go-to razor and the rest are for collection/display purposes. the gold techs all look the same for the most part, except a couple that have different heads or case lining. the silver techs each come in a different style case, so it's nice to have something slightly different. I hoard Techs because I think they're awesome razors and they're what work for me. i'm still looking to acquire the Canadian Tech and a British fat handle Tech to add to the collection.

One must haave one for the winter home, the summer cottage, the lake house, the yaught, the travel dopp, the office, the hidden kit in the trunk and one in each bathroom in the the mansion. Right?

Last edited:
i only have duplicate super speeds - a '57 and a '60

otherwise only one of each

but i do have twin sons, and would like for them to not have to fight over razors once i'm gone - so maybe i ought to get some dupes of my other models too

:^)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
i only have duplicate super speeds - a '57 and a '60

otherwise only one of each

but i do have twin sons, and would like for them to not have to fight over razors once i'm gone - so maybe i ought to get some dupes of my other models too

:^)

Any reason will do to support the RAD, eh? :lol::lol:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Say you're looking around an antique store or rummage sale and see a nice Gillette for $5 - $10. You know it will probably shave just as nice as the one you use at home. What are you gonna do, leave without it? I can't.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Say you're looking around an antique store or rummage sale and see a nice Gillette for $5 - $10. You know it will probably shave just as nice as the one you use at home. What are you gonna do, leave without it? I can't.

That my friend, is the very definition of RAD. And I have it as well.
As many folks on here do also, I'd say we are in good company.

It is about saving those razors you find at the antique store and other places from those who do not know or care. :biggrin: You cant just let those poor little razors just sit there out in the cold.

This doesn't seem to happen to me. I've found a grand total of one DE in several sweeps of the area antique stores. Ah well.

Top Bottom