What's new

How many different pipe tobaccos do you keep?

How much Toby do you cellar?

• Less than 5

• More than 10

• More than 20

• More than 30

• I buy tobacco by the pound grasshopper!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
So how many?

I have 27 presently. Gonna try hard...reaaall hard, to stop buying Toby for a while.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I guess I have a problem if so far 50% have less than 20.

Could it just be noobishness compels me to try a bunch, after which I'll settle on a few core selections?

I guess I have a problem if so far 50% have less than 20.

Could it just be noobishness compels me to try a bunch, after which I'll settle on a few core selections?
Consider yourself in the "afficianado" categorey, you need to get a few more tins and move up to "expert" status!

I would say there are a few odds and ends...Mostly, it is a few pounds of navy flake, a few pounds of Red Cake, and then a few pounds of C&D. I tend to be a VA guy...and all my tobacco has 1-3 years on it at the moment. The Army helped me with adding alot of that age. Some is pre military (which is only about 3.5years ago; placing the tobacco at 4+years). Buy by the lbs to save $$$. Plus, you can start aging.

-Frank

I think I'll have about 13 or so blends of tobacco cellared once I finish smoking all this tobacco I have no plans to buy again.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I would say there are a few odds and ends...Mostly, it is a few pounds of navy flake, a few pounds of Red Cake, and then a few pounds of C&D. I tend to be a VA guy...and all my tobacco has 1-3 years on it at the moment. The Army helped me with adding alot of that age. Some is pre military (which is only about 3.5years ago; placing the tobacco at 4+years). Buy by the lbs to save $$$. Plus, you can start aging.

-Frank

How long did it take you to decide on your blends of choice?

I cellar only one kind of tobacco... Virginia/Perique. I have maybe 3 different versions of Va/Pers cellared. But I also have over 100 pounds of it in my cellar. I love Virginia/Perique.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I cellar only one kind of tobacco... Virginia/Perique. I have maybe 3 different versions of Va/Pers cellared. But I also have over 100 pounds of it in my cellar. I love Virginia/Perique.

Wow, a hunnert pounds? I assume they are all of varying dates of production?

Wow, a hunnert pounds? I assume they are all of varying dates of production?

I would buy 5 pound bags of McClelland 2015. At the time I had the cash and the tobacco was inexpensive, I would pick up a bag every other month and put it into Mason Jars, so at least 110 pounds of my tobacco is 2015. Then I would buy 2 or 3 pound and a half boxes of PSLNF in the off months, so most of my tobacco dates from 2005 to 2007. I have some Escudo from 05 and some odds and ends stashed away in my cellar.

Now that I temporarily have no income coming in, at least I can smoke good aged tobacco for nothing.

Any pics of this motherlode of Toby?

No pics. It is nothing more that a couple of rubbermaid shelving units filled with 4 ounce mason jars of tobacco. Nothing to look at, although the plumber I had in this past weekend seemed to be impressed.

Kentos,

Took me about 6 mos of trying samplers at the local tobacco shop and small online orders. Tastes change. I am actually lucky that the purchases i made at 6 mos of smoking are still what I like today. Not so much the case with cigars for me...now I like maduros instead of connecticut shade wrappers.

No pics. It is nothing more that a couple of rubbermaid shelving units filled with 4 ounce mason jars of tobacco. Nothing to look at, although the plumber I had in this past weekend seemed to be impressed.

That's alot of mason jars. I would think that you would use larger jars for cellaring tobacco. You can fit about 2oz (weight) of tobacco in a 4oz (volume) mason jar. Which means that you have over 800 mason jars sitting on shelves.

That's alot of mason jars. I would think that you would use larger jars for cellaring tobacco. You can fit about 2oz (weight) of tobacco in a 4oz (volume) mason jar. Which means that you have over 800 mason jars sitting on shelves.

I can fit 4 ounces of tobacco in a 4 ounce mason jar. I pack it tightly, and since it is all broken flake, it packs nicely. I do not wish to open up an 8 ounce jar when I only wish to have 4 ounces on hand. a 5 pound bag can fit perfectly in 20 4 ounce mason jars.

Pipe tobacco on a shaving forum... Sweet! I have a few commercial blends that I really enjoy, but since the mall tobacco shops became a criminal element in the People's Republic of New Jersey, I began to buy bulk basic tobacco components out of state, and tickle myself by searching for the ideal blend of Latakia, Perique, burly, etc, and which cut provides the right burn for each combination... Endless fun!

I must admit though that the explosion of available great cigars (even with outrageous taxes) have kept my cigar cutter as busy as my pipe tool lately. No matter though, as good tobacco is just that, no matter what form it takes....

I can fit 4 ounces of tobacco in a 4 ounce mason jar. I pack it tightly, and since it is all broken flake, it packs nicely. I do not wish to open up an 8 ounce jar when I only wish to have 4 ounces on hand. a 5 pound bag can fit perfectly in 20 4 ounce mason jars.

You must really pack it in tight, I'm surprised it hasn't turned into cake. I have to compress somewhat just to get 2oz in a 4oz jar.

Top Bottom