What's new

How many different pipe tobaccos do you keep?

How much Toby do you cellar?

• Less than 5

• More than 10

• More than 20

• More than 30

• I buy tobacco by the pound grasshopper!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have few enough that listing (and reading, for you guys) them isn't a chore. Were I made of money, I'd probably have at least one tin of everything available that even mildly appeals to me. That way it could age and I'd insure against those blends being pulled from production. Here's what I have on hand now:

Solani Aged Burley Flake
Samuel Gawith Skiff Mixture
Ashton Artisan's Blend
Dunhill Nightcap
McC Three Oaks Syrian
McC Beacon Extra
Rattray Red Rapparee
A.C. Peterson Escudo

And although I've blown through them already, I've recently tried samples of Full Virginia Flake, Penzance, and Stonehaven. Just wanted to mention those so I can shout this out for everyone (who hasn't tried them) to hear: Believe the hype... FVF and Penzance are indeed as good as advertised! Stonehaven didn't do it for me as I got a lot of burley from it and that's not my favourite variety of tobacco, Solani ABF notwithstanding.

Last edited:
Do you guys tend to cellar mostly staright Viginia and Viginia-based blends, or is it really anything you like, regardless of what kinds of tobaccos comprise the blends? I'm mostly curious about Latakia blends. I've read that the Va in them obviously ages well but that the Latakia (and other Orientals) present will lessen in strength, that their sharpness get rounded off. Although I appreciate a nicely mellowed, smooth tobacco (thanks for that FVF, Price!), I also like sharp, rough around the edges, high pitched flavours. So I'm not so sure that cellaring Lat/Oriental/Balkan blends is such a good idea for myself.

Do you guys tend to cellar mostly staright Viginia and Viginia-based blends, or is it really anything you like, regardless of what kinds of tobaccos comprise the blends? I'm mostly curious about Latakia blends. I've read that the Va in them obviously ages well but that the Latakia (and other Orientals) present will lessen in strength, that their sharpness get rounded off. Although I appreciate a nicely mellowed, smooth tobacco (thanks for that FVF, Price!), I also like sharp, rough around the edges, high pitched flavours. So I'm not so sure that cellaring Lat/Oriental/Balkan blends is such a good idea for myself.

It does change some, but better some mellowed Bohemian Scandal than no Bohemian Scandal.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I just started last week, so I only have three for now. I predict I'll have another 4 or 5 in a month or so!

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Ive got about a dozen, but half of those are small sample size, 2 ounces is a sample right?

I love using tobaccocellar.com so I have all this info at a glance. Looks like I have 16 varieties open and 11 in the cellar.

I'm now to 12 tobaccos open and 20 in the cellar. My stash is wide, but not very deep. Altogether I think I have just a little over a pound of tobacco. I don't smoke that often, so I should really stop buying tins...but there's so many things to try! And age! Must buy more baccy to age....

probably have about 50-60 different tobaccos put away. some are single tins, some I've got 50+ tins. and then I have several pounds of certain bulk tobaccos I liked a lot aging away. the bulk of mine are Virginias, VA/Periques, English blends (including balkans) or orientals blends.

most of mine was cellared from about 96/97-2001/2002 Though I recently started buying a few more tins (1792, Bob's choc flake, Rattray's red rap and Marlin flake) have a # of old out of production tobaccos put aside too... or older blends - ie; Cope's Escudo vs AC Peterson blend, original Three Nuns etc

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I wanted to see where the rabbit hole was headed. Probably shouldn’t of asked! Haha

It’s also cool to see the learning process you long-time members went through.
Notice my old post above said three with a few more to come? Well they came,...and came and came. SP says I've sampled over 75 tobaccos!

Notice my old post above said three with a few more to come? Well they came,...and came and came. IIRC, SP says I've sampled over 70 tobaccos!
I bought 3. Then two days later ordered 6 more. Started diving deeper into the forums and now someone from another forum is sending me 2 more but they’re the same blend.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I wanted to see where the rabbit hole was headed. Probably shouldn’t of asked! Haha

Check my cellar, same username as here...I've only been at it since January...

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
According to Tobacco Cellar, I have exactly 200 different blends totaling about 86 pounds. I have about 10-15 more pounds that I still haven't logged though. I'm guessing maybe 5-10 blends that aren't in TC. So, roughly 205-210 different blends. I haven't made a single pipe purchase (other than the B&B LE) in about two and a half years. All of my stash was acquired in a little less than two years.

Edit: I didn't realize that this was a necro post. Lol

Last edited:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

If you think that pipes are something that you'll be into for a while, then definitely stock up. When I first started a little over four years ago, two years of age on a blend was a big deal to me. Now, with what I have in my cellar, I could smoke a ten plus year old blend everyday for the rest of my life and still have some leftover.

Top Bottom