What's new

How long did it take you to find your favorite blade? And what is it?

Could you please share the manufacture date? (It's printed on the tuck)
I do not see one. Just a white tuck with no printing. Similar to Kai but tons of wax on the blade
IMG_1712.jpeg

I do not see one. Just a white tuck with no printing. Similar to Kai but tons of wax on the blade
View attachment 1646807

Sorry, I was asking the date for the Wizamet.
From what I've experienced, post-2019 Wizamet don't feel like the polsilver whereas the pre feel exactly like the polsilver.
That's why I'm curious about the date.

You can see the date on the tuck, printed on white on the end flap...04/08/16.

I went through a pretty big sample pack when I started. Lasted me a long while but none of them convinced me. Eventually I got some nacets and boy o boy! For me, nothing beats them in taking everything into acoustic. Price, quality and number of shaves. Mind you, I never got to try Polsilver. The price they are at now doesn’t convince me trying.

Sorry, I was asking the date for the Wizamet.
From what I've experienced, post-2019 Wizamet don't feel like the polsilver whereas the pre feel exactly like the polsilver.
That's why I'm curious about the date.

You can see the date on the tuck, printed on white on the end flap...04/08/16.
Finally found it on the end of the box. 2021 is the date . That would explain the difference

Finally found it on the end of the box. 2021 is the date . That would explain the difference

Yeah, unfortunately it looks like there may be some truth to this.

I thought it was just a rumour but a couple of people have now confirmed the post 2019 Wizamet don't behave like polsilver.

My razors don’t seem to be blade type dependent.

Me neither. The razors themselves shave differently but the different razor blades save about the same in the same razor.
...and they all seem to work very much the same for me, at least I can't sense much difference.

For the most part, good blades shave more alike than they are different. Though, I do feel there are some that give me a smoother, easier shave than others.

Perhaps is is that we are easier to shave than many others? I can seem to shave with any of these blades that have been mentioned.

I did buy 10 King C Gillette blades right off the bat. They are good but I’m not sure their performance warrants the cost.

They are good blades but they don't warrant paying three to four times the price as other good blades.

Gillette chose to put them in their Heritage razor before the King C. Gillette was released.

The Heritage appears to be a genuine German R89 head and a Made-In-America handle.

The King C. Gillette seems to be a Chinese copy of the R89 head with a China made handle. Many feel that the King C. Gillette blades are just rebranded Gillette Platinum's.

Right now, the King C. Gillette blades have risen to 70-cents each. While the Platinums are selling on Amazon for $9.94/hundred. Basically 10-cents each vs. 70-cents each.

proxy.php

The Astra Superior Platinum's are selling for $8.44/hundred on Amazon and have over 45k worth of mostly favorable reviews.

Probably more than 95% if good blades can be had for under $20/hundred.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Me neither. The razors themselves shave differently but the different razor blades save about the same in the same razor.

For the most part, good blades shave more alike than they are different. Though, I do feel there are some that give me a smoother, easier shave than others.

Perhaps is is that we are easier to shave than many others? I can seem to shave with any of these blades that have been mentioned.

They are good blades but they don't warrant paying three to four times the price as other good blades.

Gillette chose to put them in their Heritage razor before the King C. Gillette was released.

The Heritage appears to be a genuine German R89 head and a Made-In-America handle.

The King C. Gillette seems to be a Chinese copy of the R89 head with a China made handle. Many feel that the King C. Gillette blades are just rebranded Gillette Platinum's.

Right now, the King C. Gillette blades have risen to 70-cents each. While the Platinums are selling on Amazon for $9.94/hundred. Basically 10-cents each vs. 70-cents each.

proxy.php

The Astra Superior Platinum's are selling for $8.44/hundred on Amazon and have over 45k worth of mostly favorable reviews.

Probably more than 95% if good blades can be had for under $20/hundred.
I could really be off base here since I’m so new to DE shaving, but I’ve been able to assemble a group of very fine modern razors. It could be that these fine CNC razors get along better with a variety of blades. I do agree wholeheartedly they each have their own personalities, which I thoroughly enjoy but it’s nice to feel only minor or no change when I install one of the blade types I have.

Now, granted, I only have DE blades chosen by B&B shave masters. I didn’t take the time to evaluate all the blade choices available.

Now, granted, I only have DE blades chosen by B&B shave masters. I didn’t take the time to evaluate all the blade choices available.

Really, neither have I but I also took heed from our experts here and from others I have researched. This is my list of all the blades I have in quantities of one hundred or more.

Astra Superior Platinum
Astra Superior Stainless
BIC Chrome Platinum
Derby Extra
Derby Premium
Dorco ST300
Dorco ST301
Dorco Prime Platinum
Feather New Hi-Stainless
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black
Gillette Nacet
Gillette Perma-Sharp
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Rubie
Gillette Silver Blue
King C. Gillette *
Parker Premium Platinum *
Personna Lab Blue
Shark Platinum
Silver Star
Super Max Diamond Edge
Super Max Super Stainless
Voskhod
Wilkinson Sword Germany
Wilkinson Sword India
Wizamet Super Iridium

* The King C. Gillette's and the Parker's are in lesser quantities.

I have been going through these one per-week since the beginning of this year. I have shaved with all of them for different periods before.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Really, neither have I but I also took heed from our experts here and from others I have researched. This is my list of all the blades I have in quantities of one hundred or more.

Astra Superior Platinum
Astra Superior Stainless
BIC Chrome Platinum
Derby Extra
Derby Premium
Dorco ST300
Dorco ST301
Dorco Prime Platinum
Feather New Hi-Stainless
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black
Gillette Nacet
Gillette Perma-Sharp
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Rubie
Gillette Silver Blue
King C. Gillette *
Parker Premium Platinum *
Personna Lab Blue
Shark Platinum
Silver Star
Super Max Diamond Edge
Super Max Super Stainless
Voskhod
Wilkinson Sword Germany
Wilkinson Sword India
Wizamet Super Iridium

* The King C. Gillette's and the Parker's are in lesser quantities.

I have been going through these one per-week since the beginning of this year. I have shaved with all of them for different periods before.
Very nice collection of blades you have there.

I only have a few types as I mentioned.

USA Personna Comfort coated
Kai
Nacet
Perma-Sharp
Gillette Platinum “Light”
Wizamet
Gillette 7 O’clock Black
And a few King C Gillette blades from my trial of 10

Very nice collection of blades you have there.

I only have a few types as I mentioned.

USA Personna Comfort coated
Kai
Nacet
Perma-Sharp
Gillette Platinum “Light”
Wizamet
Gillette 7 O’clock Black
And a few King C Gillette blades from my trial of 10

Adding the GSB's and you have most of my top blades.

Most of the others I have are more of the same average. I find the GSB to be similar to the Personna Comfort Coated.

The Black's are perhaps my favorite. Fortunately, I have a few hundred of them, bought at lower prices.

It took me around two to three years to get through a 100-blade sample pack and decide on my favourite blades (Voskhod, Rapira Platinum Lux, and Dorco Prime Platinum).

But I am always wondering if other blades out there could join my favourite list and I continue to pick up random five and ten-blade tucks - all in the spirit of science and experimentation.

The journey continues - this is going to take another two to three years.

I first shave with a KCG blade because that was all I knew to acquire when I got my razor. And I like the blade enough to stock up. So from the get go I found my favourite blade.

I subsequently learned about the existence of a variety of blades and a number of those I have acquired in bulk as well. I met the Dorco Titan early on as well and I think that’s my overall favourite blade, but it is a very close tie with the KCG.

Guido

I'm too new to have a favorite. I keep reading about Personna lab blue and so I bought 100. I was not terribly impressed on the first shave but I had read that I might expect things to improve dramatically after the first shave. This morning was shave #5 on the first blade and it shows no signs of giving up yet. Shave #2 was almost scary sharp and all the shaves after that were sharp (but not scary) and smooth. I'll have to weigh in again after I've gone thru a few more blades and see if I experience the same drastic difference between shaves 1 and 2.

I'm too new to have a favorite. I keep reading about Personna lab blue and so I bought 100.

Don't put too much emphasis on being new. Most decent blades are going to be very similar to each other, more than they are different.

For under $10, you can buy a trial assortment if blades from Amazon. I suggest one like this that gives you a good selection and two of each blade type. This way if one blade doesn't work quite right for you, you can retry with the 2nd blade.

Personna Lab Blue's are very good blades. I find them similar to GSB's (Gillette Silver Blue's). They shave well. The get close and they shave smooth.

The Lab Blue's you bought should last you between one and two years (typically). You already have one of the best DE blades on the market. You could shave forever with the Lab's...

If you alternate between one Lab Blue and one from the sampler, that will keep you occupied for quite some time.

This will give you two individual blades from fifteen different blades or thirty blades in total, all for only $8.99.

proxy.php

This is a similar sample pack but it has a full tuck of each of the blades. It runs $15 for 100-blades. This sample has sixteen different types of blades.

proxy.php

These samplers I have recommended will give you many of the more popular blades that are quality blades and are ones that are mentioned in this thread.

This will give more than enough blades to sample. You will see...

In reality, it takes a good deal of time to sample through a bunch of razor blades. These will keep you occupied for some time. Even 15 or 16 different blades are enough to practically overwhelm someone.

I am developing an affinity for Kai. It happened after my first shave with one. It was the moment I thought, wow, this wet shaving thing is really what they say it is. All this happened about a month into trying blades out.

Have used scores of blades. Favorite is the OG Israeli Personna. Was the the first blade I bought other than the Derby’s and Merkurs that came with my first razors. Former B&B member iamdarkangel sold boxes of 100 loose IP blades.

In terms of available now, Wilkinson Sword is good and German Personnas are very close if not identical.

Top Bottom