What's new

How long did it take you to find your favorite blade? And what is it?

Legion

Staff member
When I first started I bought a sample pack with a bunch of different blades. After trying them all I decided my favourite was the red pack Israeli Personna, bought a big stash of them and never used a different blade again. Since I now use straight razors 95% of the time, that original stash will probably outlast me.

My experience as well. My favorite has ended up being the Tatra Platinum (which I believe are made in the same factory as the Tiger).
For me this is confirmation of the YMMV, I am new to DE shaving but working through blades and I have only had two blades that are clearly out for me and Tiger Platinum was one of those.

I have many more to try but current favourites are Muhle and Merkur. With KCG, The Royal Stallion, Shark Chrome and Rockwell running a close second.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’ll add one note., I got some Personna blades thinking they were the ones every one was raving about. For me, they were truly horrible. They seemed to tear off my whiskers, not cut them.

I mentioned this and in unison, my shaving buddies all chimed in and said: those are the wrong blades. You want the USA Personna Comfort Coated blades.

I got those and all is well. My wife even likes them in the PAA Filament she “borrowed” (permanently) from me. I couldn’t be happier that she is wet shaving. She loves it.

For me this is confirmation of the YMMV, I am new to DE shaving but working through blades and I have only had two blades that are clearly out for me and Tiger Platinum was one of those.

I have many more to try but current favourites are Muhle and Merkur. With KCG, The Royal Stallion, Shark Chrome and Rockwell running a close second.
So true! And what’s hilarious is that I have heard (but never personally tried) that people were generally dissatisfied with Merkur blades, but you like them. 😄. Hmmm…I think that I have a Merkur in my stash. I should pull it out and give it a try.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
After being around for 73 years and wet shaving about 57 of them, I got 100 Personna Lab Blues. In addition to having read they were good blades I bought 100 because of their having been made in the USA and their minimalist packaging. Prior to getting the Labs, I had used a wide range of blades, although not nearly as wide as some of you. The ones I liked most included GSBs, Nacets, Israeli and German Personnas, and Crystals. I would toss Feathers in there but only for two shaves and only in a Feather AS-D2, which I gave to my son in law. All that said, I see no reason ever to change from the Labs. They are sharp, smooth, and durable. They are terrific for at least a week or two and can easily and pleasantly be used much longer.

So true! And what’s hilarious is that I have heard (but never personally tried) that people were generally dissatisfied with Merkur blades, but you like them. 😄. Hmmm…I think that I have a Merkur in my stash. I should pull it out and give it a try.
Mindful of @Phoenixkh's post above I used the Merkur Super Platinum Stainless, I think there is another Merkur blade but I haven't used it.

Since I have a few thousand GSB blades I guess it is them. I like the Blacks too.

Would be nice to have a few thousand Black's!

IDK... I could go through my life with GSB's. When I think of it, it kind of sucks that I am aware of all of the other blades there are...

I got 100 Personna Lab Blues. In addition to having read they were good blades I bought 100 because of their having been made in the USA and their minimalist packaging.

Make that GSB's and Lab Blue's!

I've been wet shaving for a little over 6 months.
I've tried a few blades I haven't had much luck with, including the Gillette Silver Blue and Voskhod.
My favorites quickly showed up: Astra SP, Nacet, Derby Extras and surprisingly, the Shark Super Stainless.
But I have dozens more blades to sample. It's a journey and I'm enjoying trying different blades from all over the world.

I started with a Vande Hagen razor and blade from Walmart. I then watched a bunch of YouTube wet shavers and my next purchase was a variety pack on Amazon. Fell in love with my first feather. Chased that feel down until I felt I could duplicate it at an affordable price. I found the Gillette Nacet and Blue Silver. I still use feather from time to time but I am a daily shaver and they just too expensive. Comparing the Feather, Nacet and GBS is like splitting hairs 😂🤣😂. The latter is 1/3 the price.

I know the feeling!

I like the Perma-Sharp's, they are sharp. Similar I think to the Nacet's but only 2/3 the price. Definitely worth getting a top tier blade for under $10!
You bet!
I keep track of blades I've used and the Perma-Sharps are near the top, along with Nacets and a few others. As you said, it's hard to beat the price for such an excellent blade. :thumbup1:

I'm not sure I'll ever find my favorite blade because my beard and technique are both changing over time. I like to have a variety in my drawer.

I’ve only been wetshaving for about 6 months and every time my technique or lather improves, so do my best performing blades! How about you all?
I found my best blades during the first year after returning to DE shaving. Dorco Stainless ST300/301 or Dorco Primes STP300/301. Also use Astra SP and Derby Extras. Have found shave quality of these blades to be similar with longevity as the major difference with Derbys typically delivering 3-6 shaves at one end and Dorcos 10-12 on the other with Astra in between.

Dorcos are one of the most underrated blades due to poor quality from years ago before they moved their DE production to Vietnam in a new factory with new equipment. The made in Vietnam blades are excellent - lots of posts on this in B&B.

Dorcos are one of the most underrated blades due to poor quality from years ago before they moved their DE production to Vietnam in a new factory with new equipment. The made in Vietnam blades are excellent - lots of posts on this in B&B.

Very true! And... you can buy the ST300's for about $.06/hundred.

Amazon currently has them for less than that.

The ST301's, which are the same blade in a plastic box are about a penny more.

But, if you buy them in a case of 1,000, you can get them for $.05 each!

proxy.php

Wennow Dorco St301 Platinum Double Edge Razor Blades / 1case (1000 Blades)

For most people, that is more than a decades worth of shaves for only $5 per-year.

If you get a week or more from a blade, maybe two decades!

There are a lot of excellent shaving blades out there between five and ten cents each.

Last edited:
Very true! And... you can buy the ST300's for about $.06/hundred.

Amazon currently has them for less than that.

The ST301's, which are the same blade in a plastic box are about a penny more.

But, if you buy them in a case of 1,000, you can get them for $.05 each!

proxy.php

Wennow Dorco St301 Platinum Double Edge Razor Blades / 1case (1000 Blades)

For most people, that is more than a decades worth of shaves for only $5 per-year.

If you get a week or more from a blade, maybe two decades!

There are a lot of excellent shaving blades out there between five and ten cents each.
Just make sure you are getting newer made in Vietnam production. The link above goes to a listing that shows older made in Korea production (see second picture on Amazon listing near bottom - can just make out made in Korea on the box). Likely these blades are over 5 years old. In Q&A seller claims made in Vietnam though I'd be wary of ordering these. While the made in Vietnam blades are excellent there have been many mixed reviews on the older made in Korea blades. All my Dorcos are made in Vietnam.

Newer made in Vietnam production will also be labeled as HQ on the tuck and box. The 100 packs will show made in Vietnam on the back.

ST300s and ST301s are the same blade, just cardboard vs. plastic tuck. The ST300s at under $6/100 noted above are a great deal. @ShavingPrimate 's first link above goes to newer made in Vietnam production of the ST300s - in fact I ordered a 100 pack from this listing a little over a month ago and received the expected HQ made in Vietnam blades.

Last edited:
Just make sure you are getting newer made in Vietnam production. The link above goes to a listing that shows older made in Korea production (see second picture on Amazon listing near bottom - can just make out made in Korea on the box).

Thanks for the keen eye! I didn't catch this! I am posting with a hand size smartphone.

proxy.php

Looking, you can clearly see "KOREA" written across the wrapper of the individual blade.

Although the design is basically the same, instead of "NEW PLATINUM" written in the red corner triangle, the new Made in Vietnam version has "HQ TECHNOLOGY" written in this triangle.

proxy.php

My ST300's and ST301's are all from Vietnam.

proxy.php

My ST301's look like this and came from Amazon.

Although I am now getting mixed signals. If you do an Amazon search on the ST301's, almost every listing is showing the old style looking box?

The middle photo was just taken from Amazon. There are a whole bunch of other listing that look like the old box.

This is peculiar?

Last edited:
Top Bottom