What's new

How long did it take you to find your favorite blade? And what is it?

I enjoy trying ‘new’ (to me) blades as well as revisiting blades that I have tried in the past.

For what it worth here is my ‘top-tier’ (in no particular order):
GSB
Astra SP
Nacet
Wizamet SI (or Polsilver)
Personna lab (or med prep)
Personna red

It took about a year going through five or six population brands before I committed to my first hundred pack (Astra SP).

Then one day the clouds parted and I got a free sample of a not much loved blade, the Tiger Platinum. It was my first experience with a “smooth” blade, and is now my current favorite.

I have since restarted my blade exploration, but Tiger is still my favorite.

I made the search a little harder on myself by trying to avoid blades with plastic tucks, and trying to stick to blades made in places with some labor standards.

I really like Bic Chrome Platinums (Greece), and Personna Lab Blues (USA). I kind of liked Tiger/Tatra (Czech).

I still want to try KAI (Japan) before I buy in bulk.

Big thanks to the Great Blade Exchange and Razor Blade Club for making it easy to try small numbers of blades.

I've been wet shaving about 6 months and rotate between a Merkur, Gillette Super Speed, Leaf twig and Leaf.

John

By eliminating Gillette and Chinese products from my search, the field narrowed considerably.
The first time I tried a Kai in a Tech, I was hooked.
For my other razors, It took a few months to decide Personna Israeli Reds were my favorite. Now that Reds are no longer available, it's a toss-up between German Personna and Lord Silver Star.

If you have only one razor and will stick with just one razor, you might be able to find your favorite blade. If you have more razors, you may find that different ones may work better/worse with different blades.

I thought I could get one blade to rule them all, but am now realizing that different razors require very different blades to work well on my face. The razor-hole deepens.

I enjoy trying ‘new’ (to me) blades as well as revisiting blades that I have tried in the past.

For what it worth here is my ‘top-tier’ (in no particular order):
GSB
Astra SP
Nacet
Wizamet SI (or Polsilver)
Personna lab (or med prep)
Personna red
I am 100% the same. Your list mirrors my list.

I do like dozens of different blades though. I currently own well over 40 different types in quantity.

I've been safety razor shaving for about 6 months now, and still haven't bought a bulk order.

For me, it's going to come down to Personna Lab Blues vs Kais, in a mild razor. The Lab Blues are just kind of an all-round nice blade that lasts 6 or 7 shaves. The Kais stand out more... a lot more blade feel and they can go to 10+ shaves. Trying to decide if that's worth the 2x cost premium.

Not every blades goes with every razor.
My favourite is Nacet. I was lucky as I found it quite early.
At the moment I'm testing Astra SP in all of my razors, and it looks good.
I have a stock of 400 Nacets, they are hard to find and price went up. Astra is cehaper, a lot cheaper...
Gilette 7 O'clock Indian Green is in my top 3.

I've been DE shaving since about 2006. In the years since, I've had several blades in my top tier.

Some have been there since the beginning. Others are recent additions. Still others have left only to rejoin after some time and further consideration.

At the beginning I poked around just a wee bit to find a blade that I liked (Israeli Personna) and then stuck with that for quite a long time while I worked on refining my technique. IIRC, I used the IP for at least a year before branching out.

Once I was getting close, incident-free shaves reliably I began to acquire sample packs and experiment. I subsequently found several that I liked as much, or better, than the IP as well as ones that didn't suit me as well. This was very valuable and it's something I still do nearly twenty years later.

As I acquire new gear and continue to develop my technique, my evaluation of blades continues. I have a very large cache of favorites but frequently revisit samples to see what, if anything, has changed. I almost always discover something new.

Top Bottom