What's new

How long did it take for you to learn how to hone?

@SliceOfLife

Have you tried to set a bevel with other brands of diamond plates?

What I mean is this.. th
I want to buy a 400/1200 diamond plate (there are several affordable ones) for a bevel setting to use with lapping films 9,3 and 1 um later. I read some past posts that people used these type of plates for bevel setting. I believe now that a lapping film can remove any stria on the bevel. I would love to hear your comment or from anyone in this aspect.

Why is the China diamond plate in the mix now? A king 1200 is outstanding bevel setter and can't be much more expensive than the China diamond plates.

Why is the China diamond plate in the mix now? A king 1200 is outstanding bevel setter and can't be much more expensive than the China diamond plates.
Well I ask a lot cause I don't have anyone around here to teach me.

Why a chinese diamond plate question ? Well I can't order a stone from abroad (shipping is 50 usd minimum). The idea is that I read a lot of old posts in this forum. The posts are full of knowledge and people seemed to use a lot pastes, strops or even DMT plates to maintain a razor. There were users even moderators 10-15 years setting a bevel on a dmt1200 and prefinish on DMT800 plate often. @SliceOfLife seems to be Last of the Mohicans (analogy to a famous movie) on this forum promoting this method . So I though if a DMT1200 can set a bevel, why not a diamond plate (of certain quality) from China? :)

The other reason is that a diamond plate doesn't need lapping and it is easy to order.

Last edited:
@albsat
The point is to learn how to sharpen a razor, not what gear is used. And reliable grinding gear is available nearly everywhere. If you tell us what you got, and what is available at your place, we can find something affordable.

And this SOF manual works as long as you use the described tools and methods. Films instead of that King 6000 make it pointless to pull a burr and polish it off.

You are near the most helpful tool:
Your beginner thread. The better we understand your situation, the better the answers will become.

@albsat
The point is to learn how to sharpen a razor, not what gear is used. And reliable grinding gear is available nearly everywhere. If you tell us what you got, and what is available at your place, we can find something affordable.

And this SOF manual works as long as you use the described tools and methods. Films instead of that King 6000 make it pointless to pull a burr and polish it off.

You are near the most helpful tool:
Your beginner thread. The better we understand your situation, the better the answers will become.
Thank you man. I agree with you on certain level. I have been able to set an edge 2 out of 3 razors, using sandpaper and lapping films. Based on what I have read it seems that there are many ways to make a razor shave ready or maintain it. Sandpaper, artifical and natural stones, diamond plate, lapping films, pasted strop (Crox Ferox, cbn paste) , diamond balsa pasted strop, etc.

I am clear what I need to perfect my honing setup. Stones, a lot... 😂 😂

Just wanted to be sure on one thing only. Can we set a bevel, acceptable one on a chinese diamond 400/1200 grit which are plenty on aliexpress or amazon?

If some people since 2008 in this forum, proclaimed that they can set an edge on Dmt 1200 or Dmt 8000, has anyone tried on an affordable Chinese diamond plate?

@SliceOfLife

Have you tried to set a bevel with other brands of diamond plates?

What I mean is this.. th
I want to buy a 400/1200 diamond plate (there are several affordable ones) for a bevel setting to use with lapping films 9,3 and 1 um later. I read some past posts that people used these type of plates for bevel setting. I believe now that a lapping film can remove any stria on the bevel. I would love to hear your comment or from anyone in this aspect.

Nope. I bought a cheapo when my 220 DMT started to show its age... but it's like 160 and I wouldn't want to bother beveling on it.

Never bought that Japanese brand (atoma?) but I heard they were more suited for lapping and less for sharpening.

If I stumbled into an offbrand 1k/8k (say eBay auction or something), I may drop $10-20 to test them out of curiosity if I was bored that week; but I don't have the time I used to spend testing for curiosities sake.

Never bought that Japanese brand (atoma?) but I heard they were more suited for lapping and less for sharpening.
For knives and tools, I don’t think this is the case. They work well for repairs and sharpening. If I remember correctly, they are advertised primarily for sharpening.

For razors, I detest the feedback, especially on the worn out (1/3rd to almost no diamonds left) #140 and #400 and to a lower extent on the #1200. The #1200 is okay-ish if you remove severe chips or defects and don’t have other stones. Let’s say it can do the job, but due to the feedback, I would not use it for that job. If I remember correctly, I tried the #1200 with oil and it felt better, but still, at least for me, there are better traditional options on the market.

Update: just tried again the Atoma #1200 and #400 with a razor and I must say they feel better than I remembered.

Started with #1200: water only was better than I thought, after I added oil was quite okay. If my budget would have been tight, I think I would rather use this one instead of a cheap no name ‘bin grade’ synth.

Then went onto #400. Feedback was worse (expected), but I added some oil and did a few strokes and quickly got used to the feedback. Stropped on my working trousers since I didn’t want to clean the razor well and resulting hht was good.

Top Bottom