What's new

How I use nano-grit compounds & my thought about them

We’ve had some great discussion in various threads re: finishing razors with very high grit pastes. Stuff like Ken Schwartz 0.125/0.1µ CBN & 0.050µ Mono diamond
Also the best way to finish on 0.25µ diamond & just what brand & if mono or polycrystalline sprays are the best.

Well, as always YMMV, but here’s my take on it:

First off, my take on a razors edge is that it should be as sharp as possible & that it should still be smooth & not cause any irritation. (Hey don’t we all…)
I have typical Scandinavian skin, rather dry & sensitive that gets a nice piggy red color in the summer sun & cracked & pale as death in the winter.. Great complexion to have…

The reason I’m saying this is that the edges I’ll talk about here really have to be “skin-friendly”
I surely ‘aint no Texan that can shave with his hunting knife & some bar soap…

We have also recently talked about another strongly related subject & that is the matter of a “true” edge on a certain grit or a polished egde.
In short it is that if you really want to establish for example a true 0.125µ edge
you must take careful steps to remove the previous scratches made from the previous grit stone/compounds.
Think of it like if you are restoring a straight with hand-sanding.
To get a true mirror finish you must remove all the scratches made with the previously used sandpaper, or these scratches will be visible, no matter how much you go at it with higher grits.

But you can immediately jump to a much bigger grit, that won’t establish a true edge.
All though it can still make quite a difference on the edge.
This method is in fact used very often, mainly with chromium oxide where people often
use CrOx as a finisher after their last stone.

Say that you use CrOx after a 10K stone.
CrOx is ~0.5µ which translates to about 30K grit.
And since CrOx cuts rather slow, you certainly don’t get a true 30K grit edge, what you get is a polished 10K edge. Which for most people is both a bit sharper & a bit smoother.
But you haven’t taken out the 10K scratches, you have as said polished them.

Do you follow?

Removing all previous scratches before heading on to the next grit sure takes some work & might be counter-intuitive to most people, because we have all heard the dreaded story about over-honing right?
I’m a firm believer that such a thing as overhoning does not exist.
But let’s take that discussion elsewhere, all though I feel that it is worth mentioning because it is firmly planted in many peoples minds, for some bizarre reason…
Same thing with “crumbling” edges.
Sure I see crumbling edges all the time when I sharpen knifes made out of poor steel.
But you simply not find bad steel in any vintage of newly made razor of a more well known brand. So it’s a non-issue IMO.

Well then, lets make a true nano-grit edge, shall we?

My most used progression goes like this:

DMT 325(If things are bad..) Chosera 1K >Naniwa SS 2/5/8/10K or
substitute Naniwa SS 2/5/8 with BBW slurry dilution.

I make sure that I leave the 10K with a truly maxed out edge, i.e
finish with no pressure & take good care to know that I really can’t take it any further.

I’ve experimented with doing some 10 laps with the spine leading on the 10K
just to establish a stropping scratch pattern. I think it is beneficial, but not sure how much it matters.

Then onto the strops.
If I had access to a higher grit synth, like a 12K SS or Shapton 16/30K I’d use it too before the strops. I instead substitute them with the 1µ & 0.5µ or 30K Shapton Pro slurry-pasted balsa strop I have.

First out is 1µ Hand American mono crystalline diamond on balsa.
Then it’s either 0.5µ Hand American mono crystalline diamond on balsa or leather (paddle/bench) or the aforementioned balsa-strop pasted with 30K Shapton 30K slurry.

At this point you should have an edge that is very, very sharp, but might cut hair a trifle “grippy”
I test with the tips of my armhair, but I guess the HHT would do well too.
The good thing with armhair is that I get great feedback when cutting slow from my follicles, an ever slight “grippy” feeling is easily felt once you are tuned in & calibrated..

So, here comes the fun part..
On to either 0.25µ mono from HA or Ken Schwartz poly 0.25µ
I used to feel that the mono was the best for razors (the poly is absolute favorite for knifes & hair shears though!) but recently I must say that the poly is closing in, less laps is needed & when if I go beyond 0.125µ CBN, the difference is pretty much lost.

Anyway, once again it’s balsa or paddle/bench hard leather that is the substrate of choice. No felt!
After you are done here, the edge is up one notch more.
But the grip is there & at this moment you have a super-sharp edge, that would probably be to harsh for most people.

But, we will sort that out too.
Enter CBN 0.125µ on balsa.
Here you can go nuts. As long as it is blade weight only, you can really go to town here.
Just remember to keep the pressure to blade only & do your strokes nice & easy. You will probably think that you are overdoing it or that nothing is happening.
But neither is true. Have faith.

When done, try your armhair again. There will be no pull at all.
HHT will be 5+
The shave will be exquisite.
You will experience a smoothness that is surely on par with CrOx, but it’s so sharp that first few shaves will be a bit scary. All the bad habits you have gotten used to during your less then nano-grit sharp shaves will not be tolerated by this blade.
But, when you get it on, the shaves will be at a new level. No joke, the difference is bigger then subtle for sure.
This is beyond BBS & it’s absolutely no effort att all to shave with it.

You can absolutely stop here, like I wrote, the shave is outstanding, sharper then the finest J-nat or Shapton 30K or diamond can provide & not only that but also far smoother then any of them can muster.
You will also experience a new look to your edge.
We all know the intense reflections coming of a freshly honed, shave-ready blades edge, but after the CBN, even the look is something else.
The best description I’ve heard is “liquid mercury” Amazing to look at.

But, since there is compounds offering to take it even further, let’s do it!
I’ve so far tested Ken Schwartz 0.050 diamond in mono.
The 0.050µ in poly & 0.025µ in mono & poly is yet to be tested.
But once I’ve tested them thoroughly, I’ll report back.

I’ve used the 0.050µ in several ways, all with good results.
The best way for me is to either use it on balsa & once again go nuts with the laps.
Don’t’ worry, at this nano-level, diamond is no longer harsh. It’s just a very, very smoothing
compound. What this method with use on balsa does is to make the edge a tad more sharp & even a bit more pleasant. The difference isn’t as big as between the 0.25µ diamond & 0.125µ
where there is a very noticeable difference, but it sure is there.

Or you can use a smooth hanging leather strop treated with 0.050µ
If I go that route, I let the strop slack a little, like I was stropping a wedge honed with a few layers of tape. I then do 10-20 laps very lightly.
This creates the tiniest convexing & seems to crank up the sharpness even a bit more then on balsa. A “scary sharp” edge for sure. Such an edge leaves me BBS for 24 hours.

At these grit levels, we are probably nearing the grit-levels of the naturally occurring silicates that are found in all leather. So after 0.050µ I don’t strop for the first shave & don’t strop more then ~20 very light laps between shaves. I never use the linen, it's IMO too coarse at these levels.

As for using the CBN as a “polisher” most anything goes.
0.125µ is a very high grit number, so you won’t be altering an edge in any big way, but it is a very potent cutter, so you will have a fast positive effect. Both in sharpness & smoothness / “pleasant factor” of the shave.
Even if it cuts very fast, it doesn’t cut anywhere close to as “harshly” as diamond, so you’ll have a much bigger window of getting it right. With diamond that window is pretty small.
And you have to use substrates like hard felt, that severely impounds the diamonds cutting ability, to make it work.
But, you can without harm use diamond rather heavy, as long as you use the CBN afterwards.
It tames the edge, pretty much like CrOx does, but so much more effectively then CrOx & not only smooths, but also adds keenness.
I have over the last months tested these compounds extensively, but I have had only one really bad shave. And the things I did then aren’t something most people will ever try…
So, they are rather easy to use for most people.

The 0.050µ is a bit to high up in grits to work as a polisher on it’s own.
But it really can make a difference after an edge has been “polished” with either 0.25µ and/or CBN 0.125µ

I think I have more to say, but I’ll leave it at that for now…
Anyone awake? any questions?

Interesting views.

The razor you honed for me was surely very smooth and performed fantastic. I got 4 good shaves out of it before I took it to a 15k shapton pro. You stopped at 10k SS and I feel the Shapton improved on the edge making the gap between 10k an 1µ smaller.
I stropped on 0.75CBN, 0.5CrOx, 0.25 mono from HA, 0.125 CBN, clean horse butt, 20 laps on a hanging strop and the edge was smooth, yet not slick like CrOx gives. i really liked this finish.

Thanks for putting that out there, I am still in my tyro honing stage but do appreciate someone with the confidence to go where things need to be explored. maybe we can sticky this as i have always been curious about this process yet have been unable (or unwilling) to make the financial commitment to go there.

Ian

Why no felt?

Instead of polishing the whole bevel, it is much much faster to polish a microbevel. Have you considered adding another layer of tape before the last stage or two as a more controlled method of polishing only the very edge?

Have you (or anyone else here) tried 0.1 micron diamond, newspaper, 0.09 micron iron oxide, linde b, 0.05um AlOx lapping film, or anything else comparably fine? If so, how do they compare?

Why no felt?

Instead of polishing the whole bevel, it is much much faster to polish a microbevel. Have you considered adding another layer of tape before the last stage or two as a more controlled method of polishing only the very edge?

Have you (or anyone else here) tried 0.1 micron diamond, newspaper, 0.09 micron iron oxide, linde b, 0.05um AlOx lapping film, or anything else comparably fine? If so, how do they compare?
Felt hinders a lot of the cutting action of compounds. You won't get the full effect, since the particles "hide" in the felt.

Take a felt strop & a leather/balsa strop treated w/ for instance 0.25µ micron & do 20 laps with 2 similar razors, one on each strop.
The leather/balsa stropped one will be considerably sharper. And the scratch-pattern will be much more consistent.

Sure, you can tape, I've tried it, but haven't gotten any better results with it.
And I'm not to found of fixed microbevels, they are somewhat harder to control when touching up.
If you do them freehanded, you get more control IMO.
But sure, doing a microbevel could shorten the process of course.

Not tried 0.1 diamond. The CBN does such a good job at that level that I haven't found the need to try it.

Tried newspaper, works for me kinda like a linen strop. Doesn't do much refinement, mostly smoothing & very slow mellowing effect.
Good substitute as a travel strop though!

Tried Iron Oxide. Doesn't do anything. And that sin't so strange, since it has a MOHS rating of ~6.
Hardened steel is 6.5 & above. Maybe a burnishing effect. Not for me.

Linde B?? No idea what that is I'm afraid.

The finest lapping film I've tried was 0.3µ.
Very harsh, needed to be tamed considerably.
Don't now what happens at lower grits though.

Last edited:
How many laps do you do at each progression and on each strop, whether balsa or leather?
Very hard to say..
There is so many variables, just like when using stones.

But as a very rough guide, assuming it's a full hollow of "normal" hardness.

10-15
0.5µ 20-25
0.25µ 20-25 (mono) 15-20(poly)
0.125µ 20-50
0.050µ 10-20 on hanging leather or 20-50 on balsa

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Honed, how do you touch up your edges after the 6th shave? Drop to a coarser spray? Go back to the Naniwa? Strop the crap out if it on the balsa?

Honed, how do you touch up your edges after the 6th shave? Drop to a coarser spray? Go back to the Naniwa? Strop the crap out if it on the balsa?
Every 3rd shave or so I do 10 or 15 laps on CBN 0.125µ & maybe follow up w/ 0.050µ if so desired.
I still haven't had the need to drop back to a stone yet. Or anything lower then CBN 0.125µ either for that matter.

Every 3rd shave or so I do 10 or 15 laps on CBN 0.125µ & maybe follow up w/ 0.050µ if so desired.
I still haven't had the need to drop back to a stone yet. Or anything lower then CBN 0.125µ either for that matter.

so...how many shaves on a single razor have you done with this process (under 30). Are we talking a few weeks worth or are you getting into years (over 300)?

Phil

No, definitely not years.
These only came out about a year ago.

My longest going one, an E.A Berg ½ hollow, will be at shave #23 next shave.
Only touching up w/ 0.125µ every 3rd shave.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member

Wow, if I can reproduce that would be great.

Felt hinders a lot of the cutting action of compounds. You won't get the full effect, since the particles "hide" in the felt.

Take a felt strop & a leather/balsa strop treated w/ for instance 0.25µ micron & do 20 laps with 2 similar razors, one on each strop.
The leather/balsa stropped one will be considerably sharper. And the scratch-pattern will be much more consistent.

The particles will "hide" and it wont cut as aggressively, but that should just mean that it acts like a finer abrasive. If you take the sharper balsa treated one and then stop on felt, I'd expect it to get even sharper. Do you disagree?

Sure, you can tape, I've tried it, but haven't gotten any better results with it.

I was looking for "faster" not "better"

Linde B?? No idea what that is I'm afraid.
0.05 micron aluminum oxide

The particles will "hide" and it wont cut as aggressively, but that should just mean that it acts like a finer abrasive. If you take the sharper balsa treated one and then stop on felt, I'd expect it to get even sharper. Do you disagree?
I really don't think it acts any finer, more slower actually.
That is my take on why people find felt to work the best for 0.5/0.25µ diamond.
They do a bunch of laps on hard felt & get a good, smooth, very sharp edge if they "find" the window.
If they were doing the same on balsa or leather, they could be doing a lot less laps, but then the window is much smaller before they reach the stage where they have created new scratches instead of just polising up the scratches from the previous stone.

And I really think that is what causes the harshness described by many, including myself, with 0.5/0.25µ diamond.
The scratches they create when used as a "true" edge, is too harsh for most.
You either have to polishes or erase those scratches further, like with 0.125µ CBN or polish them, with CrOX like many people do.

So, that is why felt works well for many, you really can't create new scratches with the diamond, because they can't cut as fast in the felt, hence you get a polishing effect, which in this case is a good thing.
You polish the scratches from your last stone & end up with a somewhat sharper, more comfortable edge.

So there is nothing wrong with the felt for 0.5/0.25µ diamond.
Just not useful in getting a true edge from even finer compounds

Great read!
Ever thought about collecting all your posts in a manual for "over the top" honing? ;)

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
That's really interesting Jens. Thanks for taking the time to put all that together for us.

I might send you a piece of kangaroo leather one day to put on your bench strop. Kangaroo's don't sweat, so the leather grain is very tight and even. It might be good for these ultra fine pastes?

That's really interesting Jens. Thank's for taking the time to put all that together for us.

I might send you a piece of kangaroo leather one day to put on your bench strop. Kangaroo's don't sweat, so the leather grain is very tight and even. It might be good for these ultra fine pastes?
Aha, there is an interesting idea!

Roo does seem a bit differrent grain-wise then most other leathers.
But I have never tried it.

And since Roo's are kinda scarce around here, you don't find much roo-leather either locally..

Top Bottom