What's new

How do you use this contraption?

I got this "thing" in a lot of shave related stuff.

The box says:
The "Gransen" Metallic Razor Strop Preparer
For improving the edge of razors.

I can't figure out if you are meant to strop the razor on this first and then on leather, or it is something to prepare the strop before you strop.

Any knowledge upon this mystery is more than welcome.
Thanks.

I think the purpose of that is to help break-in a leather strop. You just work it up and down the strop like you would a rolling pin or a bottle.

Personally I don't think a quality strop needs any break-in at all.

Spendur is probably right about a good quality strop not needing breaking in; nevertheless, it is a nifty looking tool - and it's for the leather on a strop, not the steel on a razor.

At first I was pretty sure it was for the strop, but the line For improving the edge of razors made me confused, although I couldn't see why one would use it for the razor.

Thanks for clearing it up Gentlemen :001_smile

Maybe that shaded part is a softer metal that leaves a bit of itself behind as you work it up and down the strop, sort of like using graphite or ash to improve a strop's performance.

Not sure though???

I tried doing a Google patent search on it, and came up with nothing.

Is there anything else written on the underside of the box?

No all there writing is on the front of the box.

I have examined the metal handle closer and found that on one side of the handle it is marked I and the other side is marked II.

The side marked I, furthermore has the following text: "Patent Nickel Kassel".
Side I is of a soft metal, I'm guessing lead - it can't be nickel it is too hard, but the rest of the tool might be nickel.

I think huntmol is on to something :001_smile

No, but I am very tempted.

But as a newbie I only have one strop (at the moment) and I'm a bit reluctant to try it out on that.
It is for that purpose I know, but still...

I have a couple of vintage strops on wood I could try it on, but I'm not sure if there would be any effect. I was guessing that this tool would soften up a stiff strop, but then again, if it has something to do with leaving some metal on the strop to help with the process it might work.

No, but I am very tempted.

But as a newbie I only have one strop (at the moment) and I'm a bit reluctant to try it out on that.
It is for that purpose I know, but still...

I have a couple of vintage strops on wood I could try it on, but I'm not sure if there would be any effect. I was guessing that this tool would soften up a stiff strop, but then again, if it has something to do with leaving some metal on the strop to help with the process it might work.

My first thought was perhaps it re-flattens the strop like some type of compressing burnishing tool.

Had to look up the word 'burnish' though as I didn't knew it, but that makes sense.

Top Bottom