What's new

How do you soak your boar brush?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I agree with this also. The two that I said I liked the best, the Plisson and the Omega Black Hi-Brush, are less dense than the others. The Cashmere is supposed to be the easiest to splay, yet the high density takes over and the fibers act like a wall.

Dense synthetics are great for people who only use the tips and/or use painting strokes, but for me that likes to mash and do circles, they're horrible.

As a guy who likes to mash and swirl I don't even want to imagine.

I don't get the synthetic love, not at all, but to each his own.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Without split hairs, boars just look sad.

kaban.jpg

Delivery

DSCF0933.JPG

DSCF0935.JPG

That doesn't look like a brush

DSCF0936.JPG

An English Gillette Tech, courtesy of Al @AimlessWanderer , cheers mate!

DSCF0940.JPG

DSCF0942.JPG

DSCF0943.JPG

DSCF0944.JPG

Once I've given it a bit of a spruce up, It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the 34C.

These were a Brucie Bonus!

DSCF0946.JPG

DSCF0948.JPG

They all look like older blades and some are unfamiliar. The Gillette Super Silver is made in England and looks older than the rest. The Personna Super is made in the USA and the Gillette Goal is made in Indonesia.

Once I've finished trialling the blades from my current sample pack, I might see about giving the Gillette Tech a go.

Wes

Shave 3: Proraso Preshave Green

DSCF0954.JPG

Merkur 34C
Gillette 7.00 Yellow
Proraso Preshave Green
Proraso White
Omega 10051

I have used Proraso's preshave a couple of times in the past when I was still using Bic disposables, but this is the first time I've used it since I've been DE shaving. I soaked the brush as before while I rubbed a bit of preshave cream into my wet stubble; the scent is lovely and the menthol feels great. My brush got a minute or two extra soaking time.

DSCF0958.JPG

This is starting to become consistent now. The vinegar + dish soap deep clean has clearly worked.

DSCF0959.JPG

I loaded the brush for an extra 5 seconds tonight, so it was about a 25 - 30 seconds load in total, and I have what looks like a decent amount of product.

Another face lather. As soon as I put brush to face I knew it was going to be my best lather yet. The preshave does add something. I was fairly vigorous, splaying the brush and having a pretty good scrub. It felt really nice, no scratchy feeling at all. I dipped the brush 4 or 5 times.

DSCF0963.JPG

After lathering the brush was still loaded with soap and I could feel the menthol tingling pleasantly from the preshave, and the soap felt very slick when I cleared my lips with my thumb.

I started shaving WTG, aiming for comfort today, trying to keep a light touch. The blade doesn't feel that sharp, no tugging but it could definitely be smoother, especially around the chin.

The lather is still lovely and wet by the time I get to my neck, I'm assuming because of the persahve cream. It can dry out there on occasion, as I'm quite a slow shaver. As I was shaving the neck I noticed a tiny bit of irritation on my lower lip, right side. I wasn't surprised as this is the most sensitive area for me. Finishing up the right side neck, I noticed 2 weepers, left lower lip.

Maybe this is a sharp balde after all, I didn't feel them. I took a closer look and they're nicks, not weepers.

I lathered up for the second pass, much more coverage than I normally get but still plenty slick enough. WTG again, I go for a very shallow angle, no pressure. In some places I can't hear or feel the blade. As I finish up I spot more blood. 2 weepers, both at the corner of my mouth, 1 left, 1 right side.

I did a minor clean up and rinsed off, before finishing up with a cold water splash. All the nicks and weepers had disappeared except for the larger one. I stuck a little bit of tissue paper on it but it didn't stick too well, so there can't have been much blood. It had pretty much closed up by the time I finished cleaning the sink, but I put a small dab of vaseline on it in any case.

This is the first time I've had more than one spot of blood since I've been DE shaving, but despite that, it was actually a very nice shave. No redness whatsoever, a little bit of irritation on my lower lip but that went after about 20-30 minutes. The 7 O'clock yellow must be sharper than I give it credit for, but I'm still not keen on it for some reason. The Proraso preshave I really like though, and the scent lingers nicely post shave too. Maybe the Proraso soaps work better when they're used with it. My skin feels really nice, smooth and moisturised and close in places. The face of my chin is easily DFS and when I stroke the groove between my lower lip and chin gently with my forefinger, it feels very smooth. The main event, which was the lathering up, was really good; this brush is working very well now.

Wes

Another delivery

DSCF0966.JPG

Let's have a look inside

DSCF0967.JPG

DSCF0971.JPG

Did I make the right choice with the semogue 1438 after all?

Oh yes!. This brush looks really nice in person, even better than I'd anticipated.

DSCF0976.JPG

The vintage style paint job is very nicely done and the handle has a substantial feel to it, with the groove towards the bottom providing decent grip. The 'pig' smell is not a problem. It's there alright, it's just that I don't mind it. Man am I wierd, lol.

DSCF0987.JPG

It's a little taller overall than the Omega 10051 but the loft looks to be about the same. The knot is slightly smaller at 21mm compared to Omega's 24mm.

DSCF0989.JPG

DSCF0983.JPG

Even completely unused the brush feels relatively soft and looks to have good bristle density. I'm going to see how it shapes up after a good wash with dish soap, followed by a trial lather. That'll be 2 soaking/drying cycles and then I'll make a decision about further breaking in methods.

Wes

Shave 4: A Repeat Performance (minus the blood)

Merkur 34C
Gillette 7.00 Yellow (3)
Proraso Preshave Green
Proraso White
Omega 10051

Tonights lather was an almost exact replica of the previous shave's. In an effort to avoid any nicks and weepers I made sure to respect the blade and used absolutely no pressure for the first WTG pass. I came through it unscathed but this was not an efficient pass. As I was rinsing off, I really started to notice the aroma of the eucalyptus oil in the preshave. It began to remind of the last time I used TFS Rasozero Spiffero, which had not been a happy experience for me. Still, there was no irritation as there had been with that particular soap.

Second pass, WTG again. With a feather light touch and shallow angle I managed to negotiate the problem area around my lower lip with no real issues, but the tough stubble to the left and right of my jaw was being stubborn. I rinsed off and had a good feel around. Not too bad, but this blade is neither as smooth nor as sharp as the Astra SP. After a fairly considerable touch up, especially around my chin, I decided to call it a day. I rinsed off, had a quick pat down with a towel and finished with my usual cold water splash.

There was just a hint of redness to the right corner of my chin, not surprising really, as I'd gone over it a few times, but no irritation to speak of. The shave was not close though, about the same as my last with the Astra SP on its 11th time out. The eucalyptus is bothering me a little, not affecting my skin in any way, but I'm not so sure about the fragrance now.

As I was cleaning the sink it occured to me that while menthol products certainly have a nice cooling effect on the skin, could their mild numbing properties give a false impression of the overall shave comfort, perhaps masking feedback on technique?

The brush continues to perform well.

Wes

This evening I gave the Semogue 1438 an initial clean. I started by soaking it in a mug of warm water, about two thirds of the way up the bristles.

DSCF0991.JPG

The moment I put it in the mug it behaved differently to the Omega 10051, standing upright on its tips. After just a few seconds, the water had wicked all the way up to the handle in a way that it never has with the Omega and I let it soak for a full 5 minutes. As I lifted it from the mug I was pleased to see that a considerable quantity of water had been absorbed and when it had finished dripping I gave it 5 or 6 shakes.

DSCF0994.JPG

The water in the mug was slightly discoloured and the brush now had that wet animal hair smell. More importantly, the brush, even after a thorough shaking, has retained plenty of water. I bet I could make a pretty decent lather with it already. Bear in mind that this is a brand new brush. Compare it to the Omega 10051 after it's deep cleaning routine a week ago.

DSCF0915.JPG

Next, I squeezed a drop of dish soap into the palm of my hand and washed the brush thoroughly, before building a dish soap hand lather. It already feels nice and soft. I rinsed it clean, dried it gently on a towel and lightly stroppped the tips dry. This was followed by a 10 minue soak in a dish soap solution.

DSCF0996.JPG

I agitated the brush in the solution every once in a while and when the time was up I rinsed the brush very thoroughly with warm water from the tap, and dried it as described above. The brush only lost 2 hairs during the entire process. Tomorrow I'll use it to make a trial lather. I'm already inclined to think that it will not need any further breaking in processes after that.

Wes

I babied a 1460 and the dang thing cracked only a few days in. You can't look at those things as much as cross-eyed....
My guess is you over-soaked, the water swelled the knot and the handle cracked at a stress point. Wood is natural and hence not consistent. Yours might have had a stress point that was too weak to tolerate the swelling, while the next guy could do the same all day every day and never see a crack.

My guess is you over-soaked, the water swelled the knot and the handle cracked at a stress point. Wood is natural and hence not consistent. Yours might have had a stress point that was too weak to tolerate the swelling, while the next guy could do the same all day every day and never see a crack.

That's why I'm hestitant to go straight in for a 48 hour soak to break in the 1438. Besides which, it already looks to be breaking in quite well, I'll post a picture of it later. It seems sensible to me to be patient and treat the brush with respect.

Wes

That's why I'm hestitant to go straight in for a 48 hour soak to break in the 1438. Besides which, it already looks to be breaking in quite well, I'll post a picture of it later. It seems sensible to me to be patient and treat the brush with respect.

Wes
Just use the brush and enjoy it getting better every shave. If you want to speed things up more safely than a 48hr soak, soak it for ten minutes, flick dry, then rub vigorously on a towel for 10 minutes to split the ends. You can also do a ten minute soak and then blast it with a hair dryer on high to get the same split ends that your wife/GF/SO complains about.

I never knew you could oversoak a boar. I did my usual routine, bristles soaked about 3/4 of the way up the bristle in warm water for the 10-15 minutes it takes for my shower. Several cracks developed only 2 shaves in. I caused this crack? If so, how would you recommend I prepare my boar for shaving? Of the 5 other un-painted boars I've used for months, none have developed any visible wear whatsoever. I'm very interested.

Semogue 1438: Test Lather

DSCF1004.JPG

Since cleaning the brush with dish soap, it's now had 24 hours to dry.

My camera won't focus very well at extreme close-ups but if you look closely, you can see that it has already developed a few split ends and the tips feel soft.

DSCF1013.JPG

I soaked the brush for 5 minutes, then lifted it from the mug, let the water drain and gave it three shakes.

DSCF1016.JPG

It absorbed more water than yesterday in exactly the same amount of time and the bristles, although nicely clumped together, are a little more splayed.

I lathered from the tub of Proraso White for no more than 10 seconds.

DSCF1019.JPG

This brush is definitely softer than the Omega, meaning that the soap can get more deeply into the knot as it opens up and much more quickly too.

DSCF1023.JPG

I hand lathered for about 1 minute, maybe a minute and a half, dipping the brush once. It drank up the water! I'm going to have to be very careful adding water to my lathers with this brush. I'll probably use the dribbling technique rather than dips. It felt very soft in my hand, the bristles splaying nicely with minimal pressure, yet there's plenty of spring. I now have very high hopes for this brush and imagine that it will work perfectly for face lathering, my preferred method.

Looking at the puck as I cleaned up it looks like this brush is going to be a real soap destroyer and I'm going to leave the rest of the breaking in to my face.

Wes

I never knew you could oversoak a boar. I did my usual routine, bristles soaked about 3/4 of the way up the bristle in warm water for the 10-15 minutes it takes for my shower. Several cracks developed only 2 shaves in. I caused this crack? If so, how would you recommend I prepare my boar for shaving? Of the 5 other un-painted boars I've used for months, none have developed any visible wear whatsoever. I'm very interested.
Sounds like you're doing it right (not soaking all the way to the knot), but maybe 10-15 minutes is too long. Definitely unnecessary.

I just knead the brush under running water for 15 seconds then start loading. That works for me but maybe not for you (I like backbone). If you must soak, maybe try 2-3 minutes - as long as it takes to brush your teeth. Basically, soak for the shortest time that gives you the feel that you like.

I don't use wood handle boars so knot swelling large enough to crack the handle is not an issue for me but I have to say @rudyt is right in saying that boars can be oversoaked. I have read somewhere that 3-4 min is the max time even a stiffest boar bristle will take to saturate/hydrated and be shave ready. On few occasions when I soaked a boar and forgot it for almost 30+ mins, even if I flick it hard and loaded the soap, I got a bubbly lather. I will not say it was difficult to manage but somehow I had to play it by ear and get it right. The time when oversoaked boar and truant of the day MWF come together as team I simply give up and hire a different boar for the job. I have no problem getting MWF to work but on a bad MWF day it is pointless to fight with oversoaked brush as well.
In case of your splits, it was just a weak faultline developing into cracks. Can happen to any non stabilized wood but especially painted handles are hard to inspect in advance.

I don't use wood handle boars so knot swelling large enough to crack the handle is not an issue for me but I have to say @rudyt is right in saying that boars can be oversoaked. I have read somewhere that 3-4 min is the max time even a stiffest boar bristle will take to saturate/hydrated and be shave ready. On few occasions when I soaked a boar and forgot it for almost 30+ mins, even if I flick it hard and loaded the soap, I got a bubbly lather. I will not say it was difficult to manage but somehow I had to play it by ear and get it right. The time when oversoaked boar and truant of the day MWF come together as team I simply give up and hire a different boar for the job. I have no problem getting MWF to work but on a bad MWF day it is pointless to fight with oversoaked brush as well.
In case of your splits, it was just a weak faultline developing into cracks. Can happen to any non stabilized wood but especially painted handles are hard to inspect in advance.

Well I'll make sure to stay away from painted handles! All my boars get the 10-15 minute soak in warm water and give me consistently great lather, each and every time, even with the Fat! They don't lose hairs either. A whole lot more consistent than the synthetics I've tried, I don't think I've ever sworn so much while trying to face-lather with those. With the boars, I just give them a gentle squeeze and have at it: hard soap-load, cream bowl-lather, shave stick face-lather, doesn't matter. I remember reading a post where someone analyzed (and graphed) the absorption rate vs. time of boars. IIRC it was roughly 4 minutes and then did not take on any more water, that's why I just soak my boars while I shower and have never had an issue, except with the Semogue with the painted handle that chipped after 2 shaves.

Great thread, lots of good info to be had!

Well after reading this Thread yesterday, I began the break in/defunking of my new Omega Boar. I soaked it for a few hours with dish soap and then hand lathered that. I rinsed it out and then soaked it for a few more hours. I then hand lathered it again, just the dish soap and rinsed. Next I lathered up a bar of ivory hand soap and then let that sit a few hours. Before I went to bed I rinsed the brush out and then lathered it up with my shampoo with is head and shoulders. I left that to sit overnight for about 8 hours.

This morning I rinsed out the brush and hand lathered with some Williams Mug Shaving Soap and then rinsed and rubbed/stropped it in a towel for 10 minutes. The ends of the bristles are starting to split and the shape of the brush is more splayed now, also no more smell. I put it into cold water and will be leaving it in there for 24 hours. Already though it looks better and is feeling a ton better. Ran it over my face after I dried it out and stropped and it is usable now.

More to come tomorrow morning after a soaking for 24 hours and another 10 minutes of rubbing/stropping in a towel.

Top Bottom