What's new

How do you keep track of blade usage

I use the two and out rule. If there is a no blade in the razor, put one in and shave with it. If there was already a blade in the razor, shave with it and then get rid of it after the shave.

There are times when I end up shaving 3 times with a single blade, but that would be the max for me. I like to put a new blade in before the previous one starts showing signs of deterioration. I also shave with the same DE twice in a row before switching both the blade and razor. Typically, I also use the same brush for those two shaves.

I use a dice. I place it next to the razor and the number corresponds with how many shaves I have with the blade.

Kirk

I do the same. I have a cedar slab that has a space for three razors and dies, as well as 3 brushes. I figure 6 shaves is enough, although many times I could probably go more.

I just got a Feather Artist Club SS and am going to have to make a special arrangement for it, since the blades are kind of spendy.

This always seemed like the simplest/smartest method for if keeping track was a must.

I use 3x5 index cards as well. I have one for each of my 3 DE razors. I don't see a need for excel spread sheets but if that works for you, great! By training, in the past I used excel spread sheets on a daily basis. I don't need one for my shaving routines. In my case less is more!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Very cool spreadsheet

I have a question

According to your sheet you have shaved up to 10 times with one blade? Is that correct ?

If that is the case congrats because you're getting a lot of use with one blade.

That's correct. The personnas are darn good blades

Since I rotate multiple razors and switch between about 6+ different blades at any given week (since certain razors work better with certain blades), every time I take out a blade I put a "1" on the wrapper, after I'm done shaving and the blade is dry, I put it back into the wrapper. Since I also don't use a blade more than 3 times, the most the wraper will have are 3 notches with a shaprie.

Life used to be so simple: A multi-blade cartridge and a can of green goo was all any shaver needed. Now we have spread sheets charting blade usage. Back to the future, indeed.

My approach is goes like this: At any given time I only want to work with one variable and keep everything else a constant. I may shave with the same razor and blade for a week while changing my soap daily, or I may change blades daily while using the same razor and soap during the trial period. I never have more than 2 or 3 blades in rotation at any time. And, in all honesty, it usually doesn't take much time to evaluate a new blade. I have a wiry, tough beard and I prefer sharp blades(Feather; Polsilver). Every once in a while I will get positively surprised by a blade(Voskhod; Permasharp Super), but more times than not after a few strokes I will know if a blade intends to cut my beard or painfully pull the hair out, one by one.

cheers

I have been keeping a little shaving journal to track all my shaves including how many times of used each blade. I have so many different products that it's hard to decipher which products are working, so keeping a small journal on how my shave went that day, allows me to go back and figure out what is working and what isn't. I make sure I list things like razor, blade, brush, soap/cream, # of days growth, bowl/face lather etc. That way I can say for example o this day I used this blade and got a terrible shave, but this day I used all the same stuff but I used this blade and I got a great shave, so it must be the blade.

I have been keeping a little shaving journal to track all my shaves including how many times of used each blade. I have so many different products that it's hard to decipher which products are working, so keeping a small journal on how my shave went that day, allows me to go back and figure out what is working and what isn't. I make sure I list things like razor, blade, brush, soap/cream, # of days growth, bowl/face lather etc. That way I can say for example o this day I used this blade and got a terrible shave, but this day I used all the same stuff but I used this blade and I got a great shave, so it must be the blade.

I think that you suggestion on keeping a shaving journal is an excellent suggestion. I never gave much thought to the possibility that something I used to shave with may be working ideally for me. It would be nice to know that I could realize that any given piece of shaving equipment isn't working properly. I think I'll start one today and use the shave I did earlier this morning as the first entry.

Thanks for the helpful suggestion!

Very good suggestions thanks

@ Toothpick I still haven't tried personna yet. That's probably my next blade. I'm curious now.

Typically I shave with a single blade until it stops feeling good, usually around 4 with my usual suspects (GSBs and Wilkinsons) depending on growth, but I'm trying to branch out now so this system might not work... anyone use a sharpie to dot their blades for the number of uses? Might try this method and see how many dots each can rack up before it starts to tug

aj

Typically I shave with a single blade until it stops feeling good, usually around 4 with my usual suspects (GSBs and Wilkinsons) depending on growth, but I'm trying to branch out now so this system might not work... anyone use a sharpie to dot their blades for the number of uses? Might try this method and see how many dots each can rack up before it starts to tug

aj

I'm a 3-4 and out shaver. I get 15+ hours of a damn fine shave with 3-4 and out.

If I went to 5 shaves the shave would last at best 8-10 hours.

I never push a blade where I'll feel it "tugging" and the other descriptors used.

Seems like going to the well to often if you feel "tugging" mid shave, IMO.

As always, YMMV.

I'm still working through a blade sampler. I just remember which blade I have used for how many shaves, and I know how they felt for each shave. I have an accurate mental list just of the blades I've used and a rating for each. I'll end up with three top blades, I think. So far, Feather is #1, followed by Yellow 7 O'Clock and Astra. If this is my final tally, I'll buy a hundred each and never have to think about blades again. Until then, it's all in my noggin; I don't know how to use a spreadsheet.

I'm hopeless at remembering and doing spreadsheets. As a Mtg player, I like the Idea with the dices. Right now I have lined up 9 different razors with 3 different blades and I cant for the life pf me remember wich has been used how many times.
I read multiple places that astra sp are good blades, but I cant get a good problem free shave from them. Guess I'l stick to feathers.

StAndre

Yea I like the idea of putting dots on the blade. My issue is you have to take out the blade.

I like the 3x5 card idea. The card represents your blade and you just make dots on the card.

I have a small marker board I got for $4 double-side taped on the inside of my shaving cabinet. Works great and is forever reusable. I just hope the kids don't find it ;)

Top Bottom