What's new

How do you keep track of blade usage

All this seems insane unless you are rotating. I have never gone beyond a work week, so after Sunday's shave the blades go bye-bye. Really makes things simple to be a one blade and razor kind of guy.

I rotate 3 different razors on a daily basis and have found 6 sided dice to be the best way to keep track. It especially helps with my SE razor that can go 15-20 shaves on a single blade...
proxy.php

Same here with the dice. Not only are they convenient, but look real nice sitting with my shaving gear. Actually in the process of getting some new dice. Just can't figure out whether to go for translucent red or a pair of Bicycle white.

I usually have 2 or 3 razors loaded at any given time. I keep the blade wrapper next to the razor. Since I keep scissors in my bathroom drawer, I make a small cut in the blade wrapper that sits with the respective razor after each shave.

I have been meaning to get some cool dice.

I use a D20 to keep a tally, but then I use a D4 or D6 to tell me how many times I've used the D20. Currently on shave 38 with my Feather blade.
proxy.php

Sent from my Spider-Phone

I use the "what Blade and how many shaves" forum thread. It gives you a way to interact as well as keeps your count for you.

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member

I keep a daily Word record of my shaves. While I have separate documents for razor, brush and soap usage I don't track the blade usage other than noting the number of shaves on a particular blade in the original record. I use the blade in a single razor until it needs to be changed. My DE and SE rotating is upwards of 75 razors. I have thought about keeping track of blades just to see which ones I use most. Maybe one of these days.

I use 10sided dice, this way I can count up to 100 if I ever reach that far. Just use one die as 10's and the other die as 1's
(BTW- I've never hit 100):frown2:

When I travel a rip a little of the blade wrapper after each shave. When I am home I place a pencil mark on the wrapper or piece of paper.

+1 I take my blades out after shaving and make a small tear in the blade wrapper. With Personna Lab Blues, four tears means time for a new blade

Feel. When the blade pulls, tugs, leaves burn/irritation on neck - it gets banked. No need to anything more. If I had a multi-side dice, my kids would have it lost in a day (although I like the idea).

I don't. I'm always amazed when people report exactly how many shaves they've put on a blade on this forum. I did go through a brief spell of logging this stuff when i started on the DEs some years ago, but life is short. Also i usually have two razors on the go most of the time with different blades in each.
I just fired up my DE89 with a fresh Nacet, but have a 34C armed with a Gillette Super Thin (Thailand) that has been lingering due to blade flipping after talking to Rabidius on here. I have to say the ageing Super Thin is still working well even though i used both that and the new Nacet today (one on either side of my face). I would not say the fresh blade performed better, but it got there a bit quicker.

Regarding usage, i'm also a twice a week head shaver and it is hard to quantify the difference between a head and face shave. In my case i'd say 1 head shave = 2 face shaves. That would mean i've put well over 10 shaves on the Gillette Super Thin which is more than i would normally. I rarely keep a blade more than 5 days. It probably makes sense to hang on to a blade a bit longer while flipping it between shaves because the blades "smoothe out" with use. Assuming it is a blade that hits the spot in the first place. Thai - or Vietnamese - Super Thins work well for me but i'm far too lazy to count them.

There are people taking the blade out between shaves? And i thought i was getting OCD about this!

You are not OCD...you are...(add your chosen phrase). :em2300:

We all have a method or system and whether you call it OCD, regimented, germaphobic, orderly, systematic or any other phrase to describe keeping track of the number of shaves or blade change/disposal date, it is definitely a personal decision. I take out my blades to eliminate moisture from my razors while reducing the chance for soap buildup and to keep track of how many shaves on a blade, especially if I am using different blades and/or razors.

There are people taking the blade out between shaves? And i thought i was getting OCD about this!

I used to, and wiped them down to dry, until I noticed that almost all new blades say "don't wipe after use", or some relative verbiage.

Happy Shaving
-Chris

I'm fairly new to DE shaving. I managed to get 12 shaves out of my first blade. When I was ready to change blades, I decided to compare 2 blades shave-for-shave, and wanted a way to keep track of shave number and any notes.

Solution, simple spreadsheet in Numbers on my iPad/iPhone. I have columns for:
date/blade/shave number/soap/notes

Pretty simple. I use the notes block to write down time (to see if the shave is taking longer) and any other observations and general feel of the shave. A type of shave journal without writing it out unless I want to add more details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to, and wiped them down to dry, until I noticed that almost all new blades say "don't wipe after use", or some relative verbiage.

Happy Shaving
-Chris
That has to be on there to cover themselves when the majority that only have half a brain wipes the blade along the cutting edge and slices the :censored: out of their hand or fingers!! Most knives that are sold have the same type of verbage on them as well... Myself, this falls under common sense which I've found in 56yrs applies to a very small audience anymore!!:a7:

That has to be on there to cover themselves when the majority that only have half a brain wipes the blade along the cutting edge and slices the :censored: out of their hand or fingers!! Most knives that are sold have the same type of verbage on them as well... Myself, this falls under common sense which I've found in 56yrs applies to a very small audience anymore!!:a7:
I wasnt sure if it was a liability thing or if it had to do with the "Teflon" coating or something along those lines

I've been trying out several different blades from different sample packs and I've lost count of how many times I have used a blade.

I just started to use a Perma sharp blade and I think I have 4 shaves with it but I've been trying it out on different razors.

I don't like to take the blade out of the razor after shaving which I think is why I'm having a hard time counting.

I've recently considered using a spreadsheet to track how many shaves per blade.

I have also looked in to an iPhone app as well.

I change every Saturday. Unless I'm trying a new blade, then it goes in the trash when it gets dull.

Permanent ink marker for CD and if I need to I make a small dots, one dot represents a shave. Usually I do this onyl when I'm testing new blades. Or blades in a new razor.

I record on a steno pad every day the razor & blade used, as well as shaving brush, soap & Aftershave. After a few weeks I transfer the information to a spreadsheet. Kind of anal, but i'm retired and have time to do these things. I haven't totaled soap and aftershave usage, but I wanted to record my blade and brush usage. I rotate through 10 shaving brushes and two razors. A large number of different blades, too many to list.

Top Bottom