What's new

How do you keep track of blade usage

I've been trying out several different blades from different sample packs and I've lost count of how many times I have used a blade.

I just started to use a Perma sharp blade and I think I have 4 shaves with it but I've been trying it out on different razors.

I don't like to take the blade out of the razor after shaving which I think is why I'm having a hard time counting.

I've recently considered using a spreadsheet to track how many shaves per blade.

I have also looked in to an iPhone app as well.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I just started an excel spreadsheet to track pretty much, everything...

I give 1 point each time I start a new blade and each day that I use a blade, it gets counted. At the end, I should be able to count how many blades I used vs how many shaves I had. Then, it will give me an average on how many shaves I get from a blade. While I'm there, I also log the razor, brush, AS and shave soap/cream. That way, I should be able to find which razor I used the most with which blade. How many shaves for X product, etc.

3 x 5 index card with your shave stuff. Make a tic mark each time you use a blade. No need to overcomplicate this, it's only shaving.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
This is how it looks like (sorry, I didn't think to put a snapshot when I posted the first time). I made tabs where I go pickup the data so I have a picklist for my razors, blades, etc. That way, it minimize the risk of a typo. The N/E columns are for New/Existing. If there's a N, it get 1 point and if I pick E, 0 point. Those last 3 columns are automatically generated. It takes me less than a minute to fill and it's easy, with the date, to know if I missed a day or not.

After that, I can do a cross table with all my N/E by blade name, etc. I need to enter my past information as I was already counting how many shaves I get from my soaps. For the blades, I don't have much data so far as I only logged 2 but I would have an average of 6 shaves for an Astra so far. The more Astra I use, the more accurate data that I will have. I'm not done with the Voskhod.

It took me less than 1 hour to put the spreadsheet together with the cross tables and enter all my data so it's fairly simple.

Attachments

• $Untitled.jpg
    $Untitled.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 265
  • $Untitled1.png
    $Untitled1.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 259
1. Put blade in razor
2. Shave with blade/razor combo 4-6 shaves
3. Change the blade
:thumbup1:
Same razor for at least a week, so no confusion there. Monday to Friday is pretty good for me. If I get a Saturday and/or Sunday shave out of the same blade, I figure those are bonuses.

I am pretty proud of my super-genius approach. Takes about 6 minutes to set up.

Step 1) get this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009W3G4/
Probably available at Home Depot, Wal-Mart and half a dozen other places near you.
2) Cut to fit inside your medicine cabinet mirror.
3) Make a grid with a sharpie.
VOILA!
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407074921.152793.jpg
It's dead simple, and in my case, it keeps razor blades out of reach of my 3yo. Nothing to write down, nothing to knock over. Also has the added benefit of keeping the blades dry between shaves. In my case, blades stay sharper, longer.

I use a free database on my Kindle Fire to record my daily shave info. It's pretty simple. I'm sure there's a way to correlate the data the way Luc does (very cool, btw), but I haven't tried that. It helps me keep track of the massive amount of inventory I have.

I worked in Advertising and had to remember a lot of facts, names, and details etc.
So, I used mnemonics a form of memory enhancement.

A simple application in this case would be to change brain hemispheres from right to left.
All you would have to do is take a subject related name like Gillette (it has eight letters to represent
8 shaves). Each time you shave you advance one letter. It's much easier to remember than a number.
Try it. !

I use a dice. I place it next to the razor and the number corresponds with how many shaves I have with the blade.

Kirk

I use a dice. I place it next to the razor and the number corresponds with how many shaves I have with the blade.

Kirk

I do the same. I have a cedar slab that has a space for three razors and dies, as well as 3 brushes. I figure 6 shaves is enough, although many times I could probably go more.

I just got a Feather Artist Club SS and am going to have to make a special arrangement for it, since the blades are kind of spendy.

I can count it's just that I have several different razors that I sometime go like 2 weeks without using the same razor again

Top Bottom