What's new

How do you grip your straight ?

I've often wondered how many different grips people use with a straight.

Joel's video shows him using two fingers on either side of the scales, my barber swears by three fingers on the blade-side, pinky on the tang.

Then there's the Japanese grip with the scales in-lin with the blade.

I've seen Jockey's videos over on SRP and he uses the Japanese grip only for his kneck. Do some of use use this grip exclusively ?

Thanks,
Ron

Interesting question. Perhaps you can do a poll.

Personally, I am a three finger, like your barber. I switch hands as well, and use three fingers with either.

I have one Japanese style razor, and also use the three fingers.

The rule of thumb I believe is whatever feels comfortable. I mostly use two fingers blade-side but change to in-line for parts of my neck under my chin, but that's with one razor. Another razor I own requires slightly different grips. If it works, do it. I don't think there are any set ways and I would encourage you to experiment. Your barber's technique sounds interesting, I might have to try it:001_smile

Of course I have to point out that my barber is used to shaving other people's necks, he doesn't use a straight for his daily shave.

Though in the end you use what suits you the manuals of old show the different grips for shaving and its really best to learn those because they give the most stability while your shaving. Some feel awkward at first but their use will reward you down the road.

In just starting out with straights, so I'm still trying to figure it out. I use the thumb and three finger grip and I also move the handle from one side to the other. I also use the Japanese style grip that Jockey does.

Top Bottom