What's new

How do you get your movies?

Despite having an active netflix subscription, I also hit up the local family video once or twice a month. The selection is quite good and older movies a 2/$1 for five nights. I also just like supporting brick-and-mortar business and they hire really great employees (my girlfriend says they must do really stringent personality screening).

Despite having an active netflix subscription, I also hit up the local family video once or twice a month. The selection is quite good and older movies a 2/$1 for five nights. I also just like supporting brick-and-mortar business and they hire really great employees (my girlfriend says they must do really stringent personality screening).

Family video is awesome, unfortunately i moved to another city and it's now about 25 minutes away.

Netflix dvd. One day USPS shipping. i.e. receive a dvd Tuesday. Watch it and return it Wednesday. They will show it received on Thursday morning (between 5-7 am roughly) and show my next one shipping, which I will receive Friday. One day shipping. As long as you make sure the bar code is showing when you insert the dvd sleeve into the return envelope. They have USPS employees scanning receipts.

Netflix (snail mail...not enough bandwidth to stream) for day to day content and to check out new movies. If I find something I really like, I usually buy a copy.

Amazon Prime for streaming. I have enough blu-ray and dvds to last me a couple years easily. While our local library is pretty weak in it's selection I used to use the neighboring county's system which was fantastic. At first it was free to non residents then went to $30 a year for a card. I felt that was worthwhile but when it jumped to $45 a year I decided it wasn't worth it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
HBO or ondemand.
I don't own DVDs or Blueray or anything. Don't even own a player.

Whenever possible, I get my movies from Redbox. I have a home theater so sound and image quality are important to me. TV shows I have no qualms streaming, or a movie that isn't available via Redbox. I also won't pay $5 for a streaming rental even in HD, so if it isn't Redbox it has to be Prime or Netflix.

Theater is my #1 choice.
After that, Netflix and Mubi are faves.
I also rent movies free through the local library.
That's all I'm going to admit to.

For those of you use both Netflix and Amazon Prime to stream movies, how does Amazon Prime's selection compare to Netflix's? Has anyone tried Redbox Instant?

For now, for pure number of titles, nothing touches Netflix. That said, while there is lots of overlap, there are a scattering of decent titles on Amazon that aren't on Netflix.
I like Netflix's interface better, but I wish they would go back to the way of browsing EVERYTHING they have instead of scrolling through categories of things they think you want to watch.
Occasionally use HBO Go.

If I had to pick only one, I'd go with Netflix.

Oh, and I use Redbox or wait for HBO/Max/Show for new releases that don't get picked up by the streaming services.

We went and bought a blu ray player for our wedding gift and in the 4 years have only watched one blu ray movie.
My wife uses hulu, sometimes netflix and we also just record off the cable and watch it on the DVR.

She doesn't understand the witchcraft known as bittorrent.

Most of our dvds we purchase are kids movies for the car. In car DVD player is probably the best $80 investment ever.

Top Bottom