What's new

How do modern razors measure up to old Gillettes?

I love owning and using vintage Gillettes. They give me fantastic and consistent results. I don't even want to know about any new razors.

Ive used modern 3-piece, 2-piece and TTO razors. Ive also used a couple vintage Gillettes. IMO, the shave is comparable between the 2 but the vintage ones are just cooler and more fun to use.
Part of it for me is that they made in the USA, part of it is the history behind them.

Oh I agree with both of you that the vast bulk of the shaving market was always "utilitarian". And even if Gillette sold a few thousand of those $10.00 gold-plated Traveller sets in the 1920s as an upsell on their normal $0.50 razor, the company's true profit was certainly still in the blades. I'm just pointing out that that luxury / hobby / conspicuous consumption niche market is not a recent phenomenon in the shaving industry but has always been with us. (For that matter, some of the earliest razors known, dating back to the Bronze Age, are very nicely decorated and clearly high-status luxury items...)

It's funny you brought up the Gold Traveler for $10. That's how I gauge the most expensive razor I would purchase. Putting $10 at 1920 in to the inflation calculator you find today that razor would cost over $135 now. So I figure the highest I would pay for a modern razor is $150. That being said I'm all about the materials. The modern razor I've bought is the Fatip Grande due to it construction of brass. I really enjoy my vintage razor from various manufactures and look forward to modern razors, but I purchase with in reasonable cost restraints. Merely my opinion.

I only use vintage Gillettes and a Krona. I think I get along better with the older safety bar designs, somehow, than the way Merkur now does them (so that they plow up too much cream).

Get a vintage Gillette. No modern made razor under $100 would even enter my mind before a classic vintage Gillette. The old Gillettes are $25-$50 for the majority of them and can often be found at flea markets for $5 to $20 if you keep an eye open. They deliver a great shave and are excellent quality.

I began with a '52 SuperSpeed in 2009. After a couple of years I switched to using the SS in winter and a Merkur 34G in summer. For the past 2-3 years all I've used is the Merkur, but I kept a '51 & '52 SS as backups.

My experience was just one razor, the Weishi 9306, up until a couple months ago, but since then, I've acquired a 65 Gillette Slim and a Schick Krona from god only knows when. The krona had a few small rust spots on the "neck" when it was given to me. Now there's bare brass in their place. When Shaver_Dan got it, the whole thing was covered in so much crud that it was all black.

The 65 slim was immaculate when I got it except for a little bit of scratching on the adjuster knob. no plate loss I can see anywhere though. I've had the Weishi for a little over 4 years. In that time, a decent bit of gold plating has worn off. There's still some kind of plating below that(assuming it's made of brass), I'm GUESSING nickel, but I don't know for sure. If I remember correctly the Weishi is brass.

At least as far as plating is concerned, and as far as weishi, and if I had to guess, probably most other modern Chinese-made razors don't measure up or come close in quality, but they're still an okay introduction to wet shaving. The build quality on the Weishi seems to be okay. It's heavier than a flair tip super speed. I've heard they shave similarly, but I wouldn't know. I do know, though, that the Weishi head is a bit flatter than the head on the slim.

Last edited:
My only modern razor is a Parker 82R Super HeavyWeight Butterfly Open That my wife gave me for Christmas 2010. It's rarely used. I like that old Gillettes. And the old Shicks. I have a Krona DE that is sweet with a Feather. And I have a couple of Injectors that almost feel like Carts but shave better. So I guess I'm old so I might as well like the old razors. And I have a 1932 Goodwill the only DE I have older than me. It's nice too.

My only modern razor is a Parker 82R Super HeavyWeight Butterfly Open That my wife gave me for Christmas 2010. It's rarely used. I like that old Gillettes. And the old Shicks. I have a Krona DE that is sweet with a Feather. And I have a couple of Injectors that almost feel like Carts but shave better. So I guess I'm old so I might as well like the old razors. And I have a 1932 Goodwill the only DE I have older than me. It's nice too.

I said Boston, kids said Florida. Apparently I do not know my geography!

Top Bottom