What's new

How do I wrap a Kamisori handle?

Well the title pretty much says it all. I would like to add a little bit of dimension to the handle on my Kamisori. So what are some practical options that I could easily wrap the handle with? Thanks again.

I have seen examples of Kamisori which have what appears to be cord wrapped rather than rattan around the tang such as these:

kamisori cord.jpg

Not sure if this is something that was done by the makers or whether most Kamisori were sold with plain tangs and the purchaser wrapped them themselves. I suppose any natural cord of sufficient diameter would suffice.

To add thickness sometimes you can find Kamisori which have small strips of wood placed on either side of the tang before wrapping which thickens the tang up slightly for better grip. As far as the technique for wrapping I couldn't give any advice but I hope someone chimes in because I'd like to know also.

Baseball bat grip tape. They make a polymer non-slip tape. Just slice into thinner strips. There's a similar product sold for tool grips.

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Baseball bat grip tape. They make a polymer non-slip tape. Just slice into thinner strips. There's a similar product sold for tool grips.

Probably something similar for golf club grips.

There's also that liquid rubber stuff that you can dip tool handles into, then let it set up. It would have the advantage of being easy to cut back off if you didn't like it.

I'm not 100 per cent on cord wrapping, but I'd say as others have that a skinny wood shim on each side of the handle would help it "round out." Then you can wrap overtop. I'd look online for a tutorial on Japanese cord-wrapping technique for swords, knives and other tools.

Doing a half-hitch wrapping would put a spiraling ridge along the handle; might make it easier to hang onto.

O.H.

Some great suggestions so far.
I have a Kamisori with traditional rattan wrap that you can use as a template.
It often has a strip of red felt on the inside which, while decorative, can be used to slightly thicken the grip.
1652002842198.png

It all depends on how traditional or how much work you want to do. I've seen some use paracord but for most kamisoris that's too thick. A thick wax thread would work but for best results you want something that has a semi-circle or domed cross-section.

Simple/Quick
You could go with Gamma and just get a Tosuke grip or fashion one yourself with sugru.

Traditional (and learn something while you're at it)

1. Get someone else to do it. A guy in the UK does international (Don't know if I can link him here?)

2. Do it yourself
For material you could cannibalize some old garden furniture for the rattan or you can buy it on etsy.
There's loads of tutorials online. Most involve paracord and that makes it easier to see what they're doing so try them.
Knot tying videos could be useful too.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
If I were going to do the cord, rattan, or even tosuke grip, I’d coat the tang with cashew or hon urushi first. No rust problem then.

Would it make sense to use a thin leather string? I am not at all concerned with a traditional aesthetic. I was also wondering if I should apply a thin coat of nail polish to the bare metal handle for a little extra waterproofing. Then I would wrap as usual and coat the leather with something as well for waterproofing. Does this sound at all like a practical possibility?

Some great suggestions so far.
I have a Kamisori with traditional rattan wrap that you can use as a template.
It often has a strip of red felt on the inside which, while decorative, can be used to slightly thicken the grip.
View attachment 1452373

It all depends on how traditional or how much work you want to do. I've seen some use paracord but for most kamisoris that's too thick. A thick wax thread would work but for best results you want something that has a semi-circle or domed cross-section.

Simple/Quick
You could go with Gamma and just get a Tosuke grip or fashion one yourself with sugru.

Traditional (and learn something while you're at it)

1. Get someone else to do it. A guy in the UK does international (Don't know if I can link him here?)

2. Do it yourself
For material you could cannibalize some old garden furniture for the rattan or you can buy it on etsy.
There's loads of tutorials online. Most involve paracord and that makes it easier to see what they're doing so try them.
Knot tying videos could be useful too.
That’s an amazing wrap job. That is super cool

Waxed cotton. Lay a loop out on the tang. Mine has a hole at the tang end. The tail end feeds
through it. Begin wrapping from the loops open end, covering the layed down loop as you wrap from end of tang toward the heel of the blade. Once you reach the end insert the bite through the loop’s end. Pulling on the loose end at the tail of the shank, draw the bite end in and under your wrappings. Cut off any excess. Maybe a dab of c/a to hold it.

E0EA692C-6541-4EFA-9CE7-3F509A5BEAA9.jpeg

This is what I had in mind…
That'll work fine, in fact most of the tutorials online show the process using leather. There are examples of how to wrap a sword handle which I'd recommend you watch as you'll find one with a style you'll like and it'll be like a very large version so you can actually see what's going on. Then repeat on the kamisori in miniature.

There's no problem in coating it in polyurethane or nail polish but I'd prefer it au natural like mine. If you really want to coat it I'd probably treat the leather before you do the wrap and get some red felt that'll show through cross hitches.
Also, as others have said, mask the blade and spray the handle with polyurethane for some water resistance although I'm one of those people who doesn't ever get the handle wet in the first place.

That'll work fine, in fact most of the tutorials online show the process using leather. There are examples of how to wrap a sword handle which I'd recommend you watch as you'll find one with a style you'll like and it'll be like a very large version so you can actually see what's going on. Then repeat on the kamisori in miniature.

There's no problem in coating it in polyurethane or nail polish but I'd prefer it au natural like mine. If you really want to coat it I'd probably treat the leather before you do the wrap and get some red felt that'll show through cross hitches.
Also, as others have said, mask the blade and spray the handle with polyurethane for some water resistance although I'm one of those people who doesn't ever get the handle wet in the first place.
OK great and thanks for all the input. I’m going to keep all of these things in mind as this first attempt may not be ideal. There’s a couple of more I would like to get up on the way and none of them are wrapped so I’ll have a couple more chances to do this a little differently.

Top Bottom