What's new

Any brush similar to a paladin

Like the title says , is there a brush that looks and acts like a paladin , But , without the high price tag? I want a paladin but I can't afford the price so I thought I would see about a look alike.. or if anyone knows where I could find a paladin handle that needs refurbishing ( needs new knot or whatever ) please let me know.. I mean I would have no problem rebuilding an authentic handle if need be....Thank you for Any and all replies....

Are you mainly interested in one of the Paladin handle shapes, or a knot with similar characteristics to a Paladin?

either would be okay , I guess....

Since they have a number of different handle types, you could try putting a WTB ad on the B/S/T for which one(s) you're interested in to see if someone has something they'd sell. For example I actually have one in the Chief handle that I'm thinking I won't keep, but if you're looking for something that's a different shape that wouldn't interest you... there are also other artisans that do handles similar in shape to some of the Paladin designs. There are designs from Shavemac, Simpson, Rudy Vey, probably a bunch of others that will be fairly close to something that Paladin offers. So again I think if there's any certain shapes you like the look of you start there and see if you can find one either from them or a similar artisan.

Either splurge for a new one, keep an eye out for a used one or pick a different brush maker. There are many out there.

A Paladin is a Paladin. Noting else will be a Paladin if that's what you really desire.

Highly unlikely you will be able to "refurbish" one with a third party knot. And even if you could, it's NOT a Paladin at that point.

You can afford it if you want one. It just means making sacrifices in other areas of your money spending. If you are living week to week and have zero extra income, you should not be looking at $200 shave brushes to begin with.

Last edited:
Either splurge for a new one, keep an eye out for a used one or pick a different brush maker. There are many out there.

A Paladin is a Paladin. Noting else will be a Paladin if that's what you really desire.

Highly unlikely you will be able to "refurbish" one with a third party knot. And even if you could, it's NOT a Paladin at that point.

You can afford it if you want one. It just means making sacrifices in other areas of your money spending. If you are living week to week and have zero extra income, you should not be looking at $200 shave brushes to begin with.
I just dont want to spend that. the fact of if I have the cash is not in question , I just cant see spending that on it... I amsure I will find one at some point I like and is in a price that is compatible with what I want...

I just dont want to spend that. the fact of if I have the cash is not in question , I just cant see spending that on it... I amsure I will find one at some point I like and is in a price that is compatible with what I want...
Your initial post said you can't afford it.

Since they have a number of different handle types, you could try putting a WTB ad on the B/S/T for which one(s) you're interested in to see if someone has something they'd sell. For example I actually have one in the Chief handle that I'm thinking I won't keep, but if you're looking for something that's a different shape that wouldn't interest you... there are also other artisans that do handles similar in shape to some of the Paladin designs. There are designs from Shavemac, Simpson, Rudy Vey, probably a bunch of others that will be fairly close to something that Paladin offers. So again I think if there's any certain shapes you like the look of you start there and see if you can find one either from them or a similar artisan.
that is actually one of the ones I like BTW... Thanks for your advice

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Like the title says , is there a brush that looks and acts like a paladin , But , without the high price tag? I want a paladin but I can't afford the price so I thought I would see about a look alike.. or if anyone knows where I could find a paladin handle that needs refurbishing ( needs new knot or whatever ) please let me know.. I mean I would have no problem rebuilding an authentic handle if need be....Thank you for Any and all replies....

What's your price range?

And what handle style/size/material combination(s) would you like to have?

Last edited:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Given that it'll last for a very very long time 200 for a paladin isn't so bad. It'll end up being fractions of a cent per shave by the end

FWIW, the brushes that we started out with in 2014 were the 26 mm Chief and PK-47. They were originally priced at $160. The last Butterscotch Chief we sold was still priced at $160. A couple of years ago we raised the price of 26 mm PK-47s with handles turned from standard stock (Italian polyester resin) to $170. The most recent price for standard 26 mm Falstaffs, Sherlocks, and Marleys was $160. For 26 mm Moes and Sumos it was $165, and for Churchills it was $170.

I say was because we're down to two brushes on the shelf in our online shop. I haven't turned many new handles over the past couple of years, but I'm getting ready to go at it again. We're going to implement some changes, though. And we're not going to turn out more than about half, if that, of the number we produced annually from 2017 through 2021. That's not because we aim to manipulate supply in support of higher prices. It's because I don't want to work that hard anymore.

We believe it's important to make our brushes reasonably available to wet-shavers who can't comfortably afford to pay more than $160-170, so our plan is to regularly stock some number of 26 mm badger brushes priced at that level, to include three or four basic handle styles and materials. Beyond that, we're not going back to our original strategy of building and maintaining a standing inventory of a broad range of brushes with constantly changing variety of both designs and materials.

Last edited:
Top Bottom