What's new

How Do I Soften Bees Wax?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
When in the Philippines, I use to treat the inside surfaces of my timder SR scales with a bees wax formulated for that Icould buy in a thick paste form. No in Australia, I can't get any here for love or money. One of my girls in the Philippines tried to post some to me but Philippines Post would not accept it, claiming that it was a prohibited substance to post.

I have now bought some bees wax granules here in Australia and melted them down into a sold block. The problem is that it is too solid. I need to add something to it to soften the wax to a thick paste consistency.

What do I add to my bees wax to make it like a thick paste at room temperature?

Legion

Staff member
The paste you are referring to is probably just bees wax furniture polish. You should be able to get it in any decent hardware store. The last tin I bought came from Bunnings.

Legion

Staff member
To answer your question though, melt the bees wax ( using a double boiler so it doesn’t catch fire) and mix in mineral oil.

The old school furniture restorers used turps and boiled linseed oil.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The nearest Bunnings is an hour and a half's ride away. They have Gilly's floor wax that is bees wax based. Only $31 plus $14 delivery for a 200g tin. A 200g tin would last well beyond my lifetime.

I already have 100g of bees wax that I bought for $8 including shipping. Now all I want to do is make it softer at room temperature.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
To answer your question though, melt the bees wax ( using a double boiler so it doesn’t catch fire) and mix in mineral oil.

The old school furniture restorers used turps and boiled linseed oil.
Thanks. I have some mineral oil and turps. Will give it a go tomorrow. I'm not sure how much to add so I will do some small test pieces first.

Legion

Staff member
Thanks. I have some mineral oil and turps. Will give it a go tomorrow. I'm not sure how much to add so I will do some small test pieces first.
Just Google DIY bees wax furniture polish and there should be dozens of recipes with the quantities required.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Just Google DIY bees wax furniture polish and there should be dozens of recipes with the quantities required.
Thank you. I have my answer. Melt the wax in a double boiler and add about an equal volume of mineral turpentine. Mix well, pour into a suitable container and let cool.

Legion

Staff member
Thank you. I have my answer. Melt the wax in a double boiler and add about an equal volume of mineral turpentine. Mix well, pour into a suitable container and let cool.
Look for some mineral oil options as well. Turps is good because it penetrates into the wood nicely, but it smell like turps, and is probably not as good for the blade steel, but it might be fine.

Make both and see what works better.

Last edited:
The old style furniture polish was roughly equal parts beeswax, turpentine and boiled linseed oil. Sometimes a bit of lemon oil was added for scent. You could make a polish with just beeswax and turpentine (or mineral spirits). The beeswax needs to be softened by heating in a double boiler. Take it off the heat and mix with the other ingredients. An old canning jar works well for this and has measurements marked on the side.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I remelted the bees wax and then mixed it with mineral turpentine at a rate of 2:1 wax/turps. I allowed this to solidify to room temperature and used it on a few of my timber scales SRs.

The wax was noticeably softer but still rather difficult to apply. Tomorrow I will again melt the wax and add some mineral oil, probably at another 2:1 ratio.

Although hard to use/polish, the current wax is putting a lovely finish on the timber scales. I am prefering it over the Renaissance wax that I have been previously using.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
look around here at B&B for make your own mustache wax
it softens at body heat then becomes sold when it cools
play with the mix a little and you should be right there

When I was into primitive archery I'd just rub the bees wax right on the bow or linen string and then place it in the car on a summer day. That always did the trick. I'd just have to give it a quick buffing with a cloth while still warm.

I make furniture polish by mixing bees wax, carnauba, mineral oil and lavender oil. Proportions adjusted to give a smooth paste at room temp. It doesn’t penetrate wood as well as the commercial polishes but it also doesn’t stink of kerosene which is in most hardware store products.

A small slow cooker/crock pot works great for melting the wax for adding the oil. It just takes a while. Here you can usually find these very inexpensively in a thrift store.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A small slow cooker/crock pot works great for melting the wax for adding the oil. It just takes a while. Here you can usually find these very inexpensively in a thrift store.
I just used an old glazed ceramic mug in a saucepan of simmering boiling water. Worked like a charm.

I just used an old glazed ceramic mug in a saucepan of simmering boiling water. Worked like a charm.

Yes, something like this is what I was going to suggest. I actually melt the beeswax in an empty jelly jar placed in a pot of boiling water. That way, the wax dedicates a jelly jar, not a kitchen utensil. It can then be added to and reheated as needed, protecting things from dust in between sessions by screwing on the jar's cap once the wax and jar have cooled.

Top Bottom