What's new

What am i doing wrong?

@gpjoe I don't have anything to add beyond what's already been said. It's all good advice, and even though it's a lot to take in, after a while it all becomes second nature. Stick with it and figure out which grips/directions/skin stretches, etc. work for you and your face. It will take some time. I started with a shave-ready Titan PIF'd to me by another member and my first bunch of shaves were truly awful. It took around 10 shaves until it actually felt like I had shaved. It wasn't a good shave, but at least I didn't have stubble everywhere any more.

Don't try to force your shave to get BBS right away. Aim for good technique and not a good shave. The good shaves will sneak up on you before you know it.

Thanks, that's the plan. 🙂👍

Shavette and straight razor shaving should not be that different if you have a good edge.

That is what I expected, but the two seem to shave very differently for me. I'm going to focus on my technique, and try some different angles just to eliminate that as my issue.

I definitely have been using a much steeper angle with my shavettes than I've seen watching videos of SR shaves, and hoping that if I flatten my SR angle the shave will improve.

That is what I expected, but the two seem to shave very differently for me. I'm going to focus on my technique, and try some different angles just to eliminate that as my issue.

I definitely have been using a much steeper angle with my shavettes than I've seen watching videos of SR shaves, and hoping that if I flatten my SR angle the shave will improve.
Hopefully a more shallow angle will help.
My first razor was a 1/4 hollow 7/8 razor. I found the 5/8 full hollow ground razors more challenging to use.
I am not suggesting that you get more razors, but in my opinion these light and thin razors are more difficult to use.
They can also be more unforgiving if an open shaving angle is used compared to a stiffer and heavier blades.

To know if your shaving technique or the preparation of the edge is in question it is very simple. the two questions must be separated. like you, I learned the straight shave with a shavette with a Feather Artist progard blade (with protective mesh) it allowed me to develop my shaving technique. then I switched to the feather artist blade without protection. new learning for my technique because removing the protection of the grids changes things. After finding excellent shaves with this blade, I switched to a straight shave without blades. if I had a problem with my new razors, my technique or the preparation of my beard was no longer in question....

PS: I shave my whole face (with mustache) with a straight bladeless razor with bbs

Last edited:
As a relatively new SR shaver, only 2-3 years at it, I will say it takes some time to get the hang of but is very much worth it when you do.

I really can't chime in anything here that hasn't been already said but I will echo that the angle is of utmost importance, about a spines width between your face and the spine is a good starting point, and grip is important too. I usually rest my ring on the tang, and the scales up between my ring and middle finger, and then my index and middle on top of the shank with my thumb under the shank. This is what works best for me.

But keep at it. If I had to sell all razors except one in my cabinet, all my DE's and SE's would be long gone and it would be hard to choose a straight to keep

Today's shave, my normal 2-day beard:

Washed face, left wet, and face-lathered with Stirling beef tallow soap. I wanted to use a tallow soap as I thought I had read MWF soap was often recommended (I know: beef/sheep). I used a Semogue mistura brush for a good scrub, and added a bit more water than normal. Not dripping, but thin.

First pass, blade almost flat, WTG on both cheeks while stretching. Razor removed some stubble but left quite a bit behind. Not near as efficient and any of my DE, SE, or shavette razors, but I pushed on.

Continued WTG on my neck, same result. I lightly danced around my nose and chin, a bit fearful of cutting myself, and was able to remove a bit of my stubble, though I knew I would require another razor to finish those areas.

Second pass on my cheeks XTG gave me a pretty smooth result, but far from done, though it would have passed for a socially acceptable shave. WTG on my neck again.

Third pass on my cheeks was XTG in the other direction, and I had a shave I could live with, though I prefer a bit closer and am spoiled by my ATG shaves with my other razors. Still, that was enough.

Got out my Kai shavette for a final ATG on my cheeks and neck, and cleaned up my chin and upper lip.

Total time was at least an hour, and I had one small nick (slice) close to my jaw line back near my ear that stopped bleeding by the time my shave was finished.

My takeaway from today:

My SRs (in my hands) are nowhere near as efficient as any of my replaceable blade razors, but seem capable of getting the job done, with repeated passes. Maybe that will improve with time, but right now it is not even close.

There is a distinct difference in the ease with which the shavettes remove hair versus the SR, and it isn't nearly as smooth. The shavettes glide while the SR is tugs and drags in comparison.

Anyway, I don't want to be overly dramatic about this, it's only shaving after all. I'll keep at it and see if things get better, though right now I'm thinking that my expectations may have been a bit too high.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
As you are not SR shaving daily, expect your technique improvements to take many more shaves. Where we talk about 30 and 100 SR shave, you can expect it to take 40-50 and about 150 SR shaves. Just the nature of this SR shaving beast.

I normally do a three-pass daily shave. Next week I am going to try and increase the number of passes per day using @Tomo's method. Why? Because of the enjoyment of the shave, not the result.

As you are not SR shaving daily, expect your technique improvements to take many more shaves. Where we talk about 30 and 100 SR shave, you can expect it to take 40-50 and about 150 SR shaves. Just the nature of this SR shaving beast.

I normally do a three-pass daily shave. Next week I am going to try and increase the number of passes per day using @Tomo's method. Why? Because of the enjoyment of the shave, not the result.
The twice a day shave will ensure that you are smooth at all times and ready for whatever life throws at you. No more midnight shadow or waking up with stubble in the morning. Sometimes the best part of the day is the night.

First pass, blade almost flat, WTG on both cheeks while stretching. Razor removed some stubble but left quite a bit behind. Not near as efficient and any of my DE, SE, or shavette razors, but I pushed on.
Is your razor effortlessly popping arm hair above skin level?
It is quite easy to roll or damage an edge while stropping.
A sharp razor should not leave allot of stubble behind.

Top Bottom