What's new

How different can two blades be (or even one)?!?

This mornings shave consisted of a fresh Personna Red in my slim; first time with this combination. I've been using the blue IPs mixed in with Feathers and Astras in my slim for a while now, getting good results with all three.

Figured as I have a decent stash of the reds and they'd worked well in the slant it was about time I tried it in my other go-to razor.

Oh boy what a mistake :blush:

Four passes and touch up to get a barely passable (socially acceptable) shave. No stinginess afterwards when applying the alum or with the witchhazel, but frankly the shave overall sucked.

Don't get me wrong, I like the reds in my slant, I think it works pretty well for my technique, skin, prep, etc. but it was so awful in the slim I almost trashed the blade. Instead I shifted it to the slant and will finish out the next three or so shaves with the trusty slant.

Now I shouldn't single out the Reds as I have a similar experience using the Astras in my slant. Who'd have thunk that a blade would act so differently in two razors? :blink:

(before anyone gets rantish, I know there is a huge difference between the two razors, but you've got to figure a blade is a blade is a blade.... or maybe not :blushing:)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
It is a well documented phenomena that blades can and do act differently in different razors and most everyone has a different combo that works best for them, the epitome of YMMV!

The variation in blades is amazing. I ordered a sampler recently and I use a Red Tip Gillette razor. The Crystals were so-so. The Red Personna was pretty nice, liked them a lot. The Astra Platinum was awful for me.

Top Bottom