What's new

How different are all these various DE blades?

Having worked as an engineer, I know that many "labels" are simply just labels - private labels. And often, one factory manufactures the same product for various companies. I have been wet shaving with a variety of different blades for a few months now, both DE and single edge shavette. I do see how certain shavette blades, such as Feather Proguard are different, in that they have ribs or combs that affect the path of the blade. But I have not seen much of a difference with respect to DE blades or non-guarded shavette blades. I have used "very sharp" blades like Feather and some that are rated not so sharp. I control the angle with my adjustable Gillette or shavette and I control the pressure. And I believe that DE shaving is better and safer than cartridges. I have nicked myself with cartridges, but not yet with DE or shavette blades. But I am unable to tell the difference between a Feather, Kai, Voskhod, Polsilver, etc. They all seem like great blades to me and they do a good job. Perhaps the differences are subtle and I am unable to discern them. I'm hoping someone here can provide some insight here. And I know it's a personal choice, but I would also welcome recommendations on good blades and which ones to avoid. Thanks for your responses.

I can't tell you why ( maybe I lack the vocabulary ) but I can tell minor differences between many blades. Sometimes it's mainly 'comfort' related. Sometimes I notice the difference in the actual outcome of the shave either through direct output or perhaps longevity.

That said I can use a wide variety of blades and get the results I want without lasting discomfort or injury. A lot of that is software, experience, and prep. However, the enjoyment level varies. For example, I get a perfectly adequate and safe shave from Shark SS and Asco blades, but I find the experience not as enjoyable as they just feel ( for a lack of better terminology ) prickly. I have other blades that give a comfortable shave, but it may take more buffing or passes to get to the same result that a different blade might do in fewer passes.

I also notice that many of the blades from what people consider the 'sharper' spectrum require a modification in my technique or my skin pays a price after repeated use. This is minor issue but one that took me many years to address as I basically avoided sharper blades for quite some time as I didn't enjoy the skin irritation associated with them with my technique I had acquired using milder razors and milder blades.

I haven't even gotten into the blade/razor combo variables yet. Same blade + different razor = different experience.

'YMMV' is probably the unofficial motto in the blades forum for a reason. We just all have many different experiences with blades and it is hard to get a consensus on some.

Thanks, I appreciate and understand your answer. I do believe that any new blade is adequate for the job. The avoidance of nicks, cuts and rash is my primary objective. I think the answer to that, for the most part, is angle and pressure. That's why I like the Fat boy and the shavette; they allow me to control the angle. Pressure and technique; well that's the art. I have accumulated a large sampling of blades and will likely use them all up. By that time, I will know more. Thanks again for the prompt reply.

I think blade differences are often overstated. I would love to see a blind “blade testing” similar to a blind wine tasting with a bunch of blade snobs.😜 I would be astonished if a veteran shaver could guess which brand was which out of a half dozen or so.

Personally, I have a bunch of favorite blades that I use daily, a few brands that are ok that I use from time to time and a few that are crap that I will throw out or PIF.

I find that most blades available today are good or excellent.

Thanks, I appreciate and understand your answer. I do believe that any new blade is adequate for the job. The avoidance of nicks, cuts and rash is my primary objective. I think the answer to that, for the most part, is angle and pressure. That's why I like the Fat boy and the shavette; they allow me to control the angle. Pressure and technique; well that's the art. I have accumulated a large sampling of blades and will likely use them all up. By that time, I will know more. Thanks again for the prompt reply.
Technique has a lot to do with results. I don't claim to have great technique, but I've developed enough of one to get pretty good results from almost any blade. Like I said at this point it's really down to comfort for me. Some blades just provide a bit more so they are the ones I tend to prefer.

Your point on angle is a valid one. When I started 'riding the cap' more on a few troublesome blades I found they evened out considerably.

I think blade differences are often overstated. I would love to see a blind “blade testing” similar to a blind wine tasting with a bunch of blade snobs.😜 I would be astonished if a veteran shaver could guess which brand was which out of a half dozen or so.

Personally, I have a bunch of favorite blades that I use daily, a few brands that are ok that I use from time to time and a few that are crap that I will throw out or PIF.

Which ones are your favorites?

Technique has a lot to do with results. I don't claim to have great technique, but I've developed enough of one to get pretty good results from almost any blade. Like I said at this point it's really down to comfort for me. Some blades just provide a bit more so they are the ones I tend to prefer.

Your point on angle is a valid one. When I started 'riding the cap' more on a few troublesome blades I found they evened out considerably.
Which blades are your favorites?

I'm sure I can't identify specific blades that way, but I don't think that was exactly what we were discussing. I can however determine fairly early in a shave if a blade is from a select group of the known blades I don't care for much in my collection.

I'm pretty sure if you handed my favorite SLOC loaded with a Polsilver, a Gillette 7 O'Clock Black, a Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum, or a Personna Lab Blue I'd have a hard time distinguishing them from each other in only one shave. I'd probably suspect it was from that grouping, but at odd times even a 'plain' Astra SP can deliver a superior shave when all the variables are in line with one another.

Which blades are your favorites?
Personna IPs
Personna Lab Blues
Super Iridiums
Gillette 7 O'Clock Blacks and Blues
Sputniks
SuperMax Blue Diamond Titaniums
Lord Silver Stars

That said I have a whole slew of blades I like a bit that at times can deliver shaves every bit as good as one of those when all the stars align correctly. I had a shave last week with an Astra SP that was borderline magical. The next day it was dead and ready to bin but shave 4 on that particular one was outstanding.

With a few exceptions, they all feel about the same to me when fresh. Biggest differences I find are longevity. Top tier blades (all platinum coated for me) last a long time (more than 100 shaves), but I can barely get 28 shaves out of a Lord Rainbow, even in a fairly aggressive razor.

Other shavers find more differences, so I guess it depends on your beard and your skin and your technique.

Having worked as an engineer, I know that many "labels" are simply just labels - private labels. And often, one factory manufactures the same product for various companies. I have been wet shaving with a variety of different blades for a few months now, both DE and single edge shavette. I do see how certain shavette blades, such as Feather Proguard are different, in that they have ribs or combs that affect the path of the blade. But I have not seen much of a difference with respect to DE blades or non-guarded shavette blades. I have used "very sharp" blades like Feather and some that are rated not so sharp. I control the angle with my adjustable Gillette or shavette and I control the pressure. And I believe that DE shaving is better and safer than cartridges. I have nicked myself with cartridges, but not yet with DE or shavette blades. But I am unable to tell the difference between a Feather, Kai, Voskhod, Polsilver, etc. They all seem like great blades to me and they do a good job. Perhaps the differences are subtle and I am unable to discern them. I'm hoping someone here can provide some insight here. And I know it's a personal choice, but I would also welcome recommendations on good blades and which ones to avoid. Thanks for your responses.

I have been wet shaving with a variety of different blades for a few months now

My first few months I could only feel subtleties in blades. Adjustable razors are not known for rigidly clamping the blade. I’m not a Gillette dude but I believe the Tech’s clamp a blade more rigid. I use Fatips and there is an abundance of blade feel and blade feedback.
But I am unable to tell the difference between a Feather, Kai, Voskhod, Polsilver, etc.

I have not used a Kai or Polsilver. I have used a Voskhod for months in my Gold Grande. I have also used a Feather in the Grande there is a monstrous difference between a Voskhod and Feather for me in the Grande. It was a completely different razor in speed, efficiency, and comfort. Blade being the factor.

I’m using a Fatip Lo Storto Slant with single use Feathers right now. I had tried Bic Chrome Platinum, Perma-Sharp, Nacet, Voskhod, and 7 O’clock Blacks every blade distinctly different. The Voskhod my most familiar blade and very nice in the Grande was a disaster in Lo Storto for me. It is not only the blade but the razor as well.

Perhaps the differences are subtle and I am unable to discern them
I believe if you got yourself a razor which provides more blade rigidity you would get more blade feedback. You would also start to feel differences in blades. Rigidly held blades vibrate much less. The slant I use is basically the same razor as the Grande. The twist and the bend put into the blade will also increase the rigidity. The Feather in Lo Storto provides increased efficiency and comfort from the Grande with a Feather.

The Grande is my favourite razor while being a tad less in efficiency and arguably comfort. It is more maneuverable and the razor which refined and developed my technique. I’m a newbie like you. I’m a few months into my second year of DE.

Attachments

• 65163293-AB21-4A2C-B336-335B55B629CC.jpeg
    65163293-AB21-4A2C-B336-335B55B629CC.jpeg
    589.1 KB · Views: 13
I do believe that any new blade is adequate for the job.

I used to believe this was true until I tried a Treet Black Beauty carbon steel blade. It was the only blade out of the 30-40 that I've experimented with where I simply couldn't finish the shave. It was like shaving with a pair of tweezers the "tugging" was so bad. Painful.

The only other blade that came close was a ZaZa. Over the last 7 years or so I've found that I can shave with (almost) any blade, but that some are more comfortable, and last quite a bit longer than others. I can get 2-3 good shaves with a Derby, but I can get 60+ awesome shaves out of a PermaSharp.

To your point though, there are a half dozen different blade brands from the Russian Gillette factory that give me awesome shaves that I can barely tell apart. YMMV!

Interesting discussion!

There are so many variables besides the blades: skin type, hair characteristics, prep, razor, etc, etc.

For me, there are substantial differences between blades. I rank blades in ‘tiers’ for my own reference.
1. Top-tier (the top 10%) or so based on sharpness, smoothness, comfort and longevity.
2. Mid-tier (roughly 80%) of acceptable blades.
3. Bottom-tier (roughly 10%) of blades that I really do not care for.

Although I can quibble about differences between blades in each tier, this system works for me!

:a21: :a21:

Interesting discussion!

There are so many variables besides the blades: skin type, hair characteristics, prep, razor, etc, etc.

For me, there are substantial differences between blades. I rank blades in ‘tiers’ for my own reference.
1. Top-tier (the top 10%) or so based on sharpness, smoothness, comfort and longevity.
2. Mid-tier (roughly 80%) of acceptable blades.
3. Bottom-tier (roughly 10%) of blades that I really do not care for.

Although I can quibble about differences between blades in each tier, this system works for me!

:a21: :a21:
I am curious as to which blades fall into your top tier and bottom tier.

I am curious as to which blades fall into your top tier and bottom tier.

Since you asked, Sir!

My top-tier (in no particular order):
GSB
Nacet
Astra SP
Personna lab (or med preps which I find are the same)
Personna red (Israeli)

My bottom tier (don’t like to throw bricks, but you asked):
ZaZa
Derby
Most any carbon steel

Can’t tell you specifics but....

there’s only 1 type of blade that I can use for a week, and get close and comfortable irritation free shaves with. And I’ve tried many blades. As microscopic as these differences between blades may be, even a small bit can equate into a completely different experience.

As someone who have tried many, many different blades; I can tell you that they can be quite different. Theres many blades that will work and get the job done but when you find that magic blade that suits you, its amazing.

Top Bottom