What's new

How big do I actually need?

I am going to buy a coti. A combo would be cool, but whatever. The question here is, how big does someone actually need? I mean truly need... I am fairly certain I'd like a wider than 1.5" stone... but is a 6x2" stone a good size to start honing with? I mocked that size up by folding some paper and it seems rather small... but what do I know?

Looking for some advice. I'm thinking a bout might be an economical route, but again, I don't know how big is normal, too small, luxurious/excessive...

6x2 is a perfect size, and you can find them very reasonably priced. Remember that there is no difference in honing performance between Standard & Select. Go for Standard grade, save yourself some cash!

I've really grown to favour the 1.5"x7" format.
I find the extra length is nice, and the width is more than adequate. I've had a couple 6"x2", and I find the extra width is unnessecary, especially at the cost of the additional length, which is the more useful of the two dimensions, IMHO.

Interesting take on it. I would have assumed the opposite. Or is this another YMMV scenario?

Oh, I'm sure. YYMV is the only constant here.
What I find is that most every one of my blades needs some version of the rolling x, so at any one point, I'm only using a fraction of the width at any one time, but for every single stroke, I use the full length of the stone... well, not really, the extra length is good to have so the slurry doesn't get pushed off, which, I guess, is where I really like the 7" length. In my own case, I find that I seem to use just the very right hand edge of the stone anyways, most of the focus of my stroke happens on the right-most 1/3 rd of the stone, if that makes any sense.

I agree with Chris. I have a vintage Coti/BBW combo stone which is 1.5" by 7" long. It is great. I have decided that the rolling X stroke is necessary for almost all of the straight razors which I own. Once you have made that decision, a wide stone is just not important. Length does help, though.

I'm a honing newby who recently switched from a 2 x 6 coti to a 1.5 x 7 and I heartily agree that the longer narrower stone is easier to produce a satisfactory edge on. I thought the wider stone would be easier to keep the blade flat on but it turns out it isn't, and as others have pointed out, if the blade is smiling or warped, which applies to most of mine, the narrower stone is easier to hone on.

I'm not sure I could get much out of a longer stone, there is a limit to the length of the arc I can maintain good form on, but the 7" is great.

I'm a big fan of my small 125mm x 30mm La Petite Blanche combo stone, and of my super tiny 100mm x 17mm Les Latneuses. Then again, sometimes I just want to use my 50mm x 200mm La Petite Blanche as it's slightly faster. I would say 125mm x 30mm is all anyone really needs, and at the same time is an insanely cheap deal straight from Ardennes. Plus, you could specify your layer. I think I paid $55 shipped for my specifically requested 125x30 LPB.

I am in talks with Jarrod at superior shave to find ~40x175 faster cutting heavy lifter, and a small slow bout for final finishing.

We'll see what he can dig up. Thanks for all the input everyone! I'm sure once I get a stone I'll be here with more questions... lol

Top Bottom