What's new

Hot Sauce.

I have no idea where my post went... Anyhow While I was in Grenada I had a scotch bonnet hot sauce that was exceptional. The heat was not overpowering (and I am not a chile head so it is not kick yer butt hot), no real vinegar taste, but they brought out the fruity flavor of the pepper. I used it to dip french fries in, stuff was great. It's called calypso sauce.

http://www.hotsauceworld.com/matcalsauc.html

Last edited:
I am working my way through a bottle of El Yucateco Kutbil-Ik which I am enjoying very much. Quite hot and spicy but with good flavor. I can't remember where I bought it, I think it was from a local Hispanic grocery:
proxy.php

My favorite hot sauces are the homemade ones you get from the street vendors and are sold in old mason jars and wine bottles. Short of that I quite like Baron's West Indian Hot Sauce, Encoma, and the above mentioned Rooster sauce.

Great stuff every Mexican shop I been has it for a couple bucks.:thumbup:

This is the stuff on the table at the Mexican place I love, I only use a little dab, but I find it has a wonderful peppery flavour to it.
proxy.php

I am working my way through a bottle of El Yucateco Kutbil-Ik which I am enjoying very much. Quite hot and spicy but with good flavor. I can't remember where I bought it, I think it was from a local Hispanic grocery:
proxy.php

I like older Lousiana sauces like Crystal or Franks routinely, not terribly hot but with a nice, familiar flavor.

I like chipotle based sauces for mexican food, Tabasco's is fine.

I like plain old Sriracha for asian.

It seems that everything posted here so far is of the Mexican or Southwest style of hot sauce. Since you are looking for flavor, consider other cultures such as India. Curries are very flavorful and carry all of the heat that you could want. Other Asian or African cultures also have various hot sauces, although purchasing them locally can be a problem.

I like older Lousiana sauces like Crystal or Franks routinely, not terribly hot but with a nice, familiar flavor.

These are the staples in my home always, guests love em. I prefer heat though. There are a lot of great hot sauces out there, but few have a great flavor with the heat.

Dave's hurting is good.

http://www.amazon.com/Daves-Gourmet-Hurtin-Habanero-Sauce/dp/B0000DID5V

I nabbed four different bottles of El Yucateo this afternoon. One each of the red and green habanero, a bottle of the Kutbil-ik habanero, and a bottle of chipotle hot sauce. Can't wait to try them all!

+1 for Sriracha. It's great stuff. Sambal Oelek is more of a wet chili paste that also packs a nice punch, but doesn't have the garlicky balance that Sriracha has.

If you like an addictive, spicy snack, you can get Sriracha coated peas (I think they're chickpeas) as a variation Wasabi peas.

Besides the sauce they have to types of chili pastes. One with garlic and one without. I've had the one with garlic and it is great. I think it is better than the sriracha sauce itself, and that's great too! I'm talking about the rooster brand of course. Haven't tried the others yet but someday I just might.

Well, since no one seems to have brought up the hottest of the hot, I think the naga jolokia a/k/a bhut jolokia deserves a mention here. This variety is considered to be the hottest (or possibly second hottest) in the world weighing in at 1,041,427 Scoville units. For comparison, tobasco is rated at 2,500-5,000 Scovilles. I have been experimenting with sauce derived from this pepper and found it to be quite flavorful with manageable heat.

This pepper is used in India as a homeopathic treatment for stomach disorders. If anyone is interested, I will be glad to write more about this pepper and its uses. I tend to use it in conjunction with Indian food because the pepper is from that part of the world. Best, Sam

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Sriracha sauce is one of my favourites. I think the chili, garlic, and sugar is perfectly proportioned. Adds a zing to soup, great on eggs, hamburgers, chicken, etc. Frank's is great too. Mild enough you can give things a big dose . . . great on chicken or turkey subs.

Mike

I think we have 8 bottles open right now. Cholula, Tapatio, Tabasco, Melinda's Chipotle, Miss Anna's Hot Pepper Sauce...I forget the rest. I'm a fan of Melinda's and Miss Anna's. Tons of flavor.

Hello LuckyR,

These three sound interesting. I will have to try them out sometime. :lol:

Thanks,
Mike

My three favorites are:

Frank's Red Hot
Sriracha
Tabasco Chipotle

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
It looks like I will have to keep an eye out for Melinda's and El Yucateco as they seem to be well regarded.

Thanks,
Mike

Down under, we have a thing for Sweet Chilli sauce. I like Mae Ploy, but there are many. One of the best ways to enjoy it is with Potato Wedges and Sour Cream.

Sriracha is my main 'basic' chilli sauce. I put it on double Quarter Pounders (ask for no mustard & ketchup).

Have had a few of the US sauces, and want to get some more. They are a bit difficult to get here, you need to shop online.

Fwiw my daily hot sauce is Daves Insanity Hurtin Habanero. Not as hot as the normal DI but tasty. I even splash it in my V8. Mmmmmmm.

Top Bottom