What's new

Hot sauce junkie

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Glad it arrive Aaron.............without you knowing LOL.
My sauce has a lot of room to improve. The inclusion of the one bhut jolokia gives it that delayed heat effect while not being a heat bomb.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yep, I've convinced myself, it's breakfast tacos' in the morning with Chris' Crazy Kiwi Hot Sauce....Yeehaw!!!

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
a name.............I don't know.

Crazy Kiwi Hot Sauce?

$Crazy_Little_Thing_Called_Kiwi_by_disorderlymind.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Looking good Aaron with a flash label and all. :thumbup:
What is your thoughts on the Chipotle salt?

This morning I had a sudden urge to mix the crazy kiwi and the mango sauce I sent you. Just a tablespoon full at 50/50 mix to wake me up.............crazy I know.
Well I like that mix, maybe when I brew another sauce I may include a bit of mango in with the kiwi fruit.

Do you ever mix hot sauces?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yes, I mix the Fury with a sweeter sauce that I like to kick it up a notch....or three.

...I like the crazy font on the label.

Chipotle salt was very good. I sprinkled it on the stuffed salmon. The wife thought it was too salty. So, I pulled out her favorite fish spice, Old Bay and compared the two. The Old bay was saltier. I win again...Yeehaw.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I thought it was low in salt myself, which is a good thing. I guess it can be like a lot of things YMMV.
The little woman pulled out some lamb shoulder chops, I'm thinking of using some Chipotle salt on them tonight.

Oh if you add the fury to another sauce, it owns it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I thought it was low in salt myself, which is a good thing. I guess it can be like a lot of things YMMV.
The little woman pulled out some lamb shoulder chops, I'm thinking of using some Chipotle salt on them tonight.

Oh if you add the fury to another sauce, it owns it.

The Chipotle salt was very good. I'm thinking on top of a steak or even chicken. It's all good.

...Fury rules!!! El Chupacabra though is spooky hot.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
El Chupacabra is a animal.
I've been using Culleys Reaper a bit over the past few weeks, it's quite mild actually...... YHLMV. Not what you would expect given it's a reaper sauce. Totally different to the heat from the El Chup'.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
El Chupacabra is a animal.
I've been using Culleys Reaper a bit over the past few weeks, it's quite mild actually...... YHLMV. Not what you would expect given it's a reaper sauce. Totally different to the heat from the El Chup'.

If you are going to put the hottest pepper in the world in a hot sauce you need to bring the horsepower.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
If you are going to put the hottest pepper in the world in a hot sauce you need to bring the horsepower.

yes and no.

yes that is what one would expect. Every one else seams to be doing just that with the reaper and IMO it's just a trend.

No becauce the reaper also has a nice flavour. Culleys has made a tasty sauce with heat at 8/10 YHLMV

I think they should just call it something else as it is a bit misleading. Saying that I would buy it again...........
edit: I mean buy it as they gave it to me for free with my last order.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
yes and no.

yes that is what one would expect. Every one else seams to be doing just that with the reaper and IMO it's just a trend.

No becauce the reaper also has a nice flavour. Culleys has made a tasty sauce with heat at 8/10 YHLMV

I think they should just call it something else as it is a bit misleading. Saying that I would buy it again...........

They just need to have at least one sauce that's brings the ultimate heat. They can also temper the heat with other flavors that we all like. If you are like me, and I think we agree, that big heat is not what we reach for. A nice 5, 6 or 7 is really the perfect range.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
They just need to have at least one sauce that's brings the ultimate heat. They can also temper the heat with other flavors that we all like. If you are like me, and I think we agree, that big heat is not what we reach for. A nice 5, 6 or 7 is really the perfect range.

Culleys don't appear to be that sort of company. I watched a video in which he stated his aim was to bring flavour not heat to the table. The heat is there but hit your target every day sauce level.
There are pleanty of other options for the super hots. I guess he is trying to compete in another part of the market and appears to be doing well at it so far.

Yes heat is not what I reach for much but do like it on the odd occaision, so keep one on hand. I tend to use them to kick the heat up if needed for a chilli etc.

Well, there are certainly some delicious sauces in this thread, but it seems they're quite heavily weighted towards the traditional hot sauce producing areas. (which includes Aaron's kitchen!)

I think we need some representation of hot stuff from traditionally non-spicy food regions. So, I will occasionally post some good stuff that I've found up here in the cold, mostly non-spicy, wilds of New England.

First off, I'm going to throw one out there that I'm sure most of you haven't heard of. And it comes from Vermont -- more known for maple syrup, crunchy-granola-tree-hugging-people and weird politics than spicy food. This is Fire in the Mountains Salsa. Although they don't make any true hot sauces, they make some really delicious salsas. They also make an interesting Maple Habenero BBQ sauce.

The Fire in the Mountains salsas are very fresh tasting, with good, but not overwhelming, heat in the Wildfire-Medium and ForestFire-Hot varieties. (I haven't tried the Raging Wildfire kind yet) There's a slight smokiness and everything works together without any one ingredient being overpowering. It's not a chunky salsa, and it's a fairly thin consistency -- enough to stay on a chip, but you'll have to hold it level.

Sadly, I currently don't have any in my cabinet to take "action shots", but I'll have to rectify that soon. They're mostly available in various gourmet and specialty stores in northern new england, but they do have an online store. Check 'em out.
http://w.ivenue.com/catamount/ecommerce/salsas.html

proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom