What's new

Horse Hair under-rated?

I picked up this Epsilon Horse Hair and have been using it for the past 15 shaves. I must say I have really enjoyed using this Brush. It has great backbone allowing it to load from a triple mill puck with ease and provides a nice scratchy feel. The handle is so Simpson Chubby and the Butterscotch is a nice colour and kinda antique looking which I also like.
Gold Tech on Avon Horse Head Stand Epsilon Horse Hair.jpg

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
That’s a very nice brush, with that old-timey feel. I really like horse, my high lofted Vielong has little backbone, but is a champion face painter. Just a great feel.

I agree. I’ve got a custom brush with a high-loft very soft horse hair knot. I’m almost surprised it lathers, but it does that very well. And the face-feel is great. It will even let me do my usual face-bowl-face-bowl lather method. But .......... very, very different from badger and a different galaxy from boar.

Okay, I have little horse hair experience. I had a Vie-Long a long time ago (the Zurito...I think it's the 13061?) and found it moplike according to my notes.

I like boars of almost any dimension and badgers in the 24/50 range if they have enough backbone. I hate lather hogging and dislike scritch.

What's my horse knot?

I love the look of the Epsilon fan-shaped white horse hair knots and handles, but I am unsure what ratio of tail:mane hair I'm looking for and what knot:loft ratio is best. Also, I'm open to almost any knot that works, regardless of whether the numbers match what one might expect in a badger or boar.

Never used an actual horse hair brush before...but my Yaqi Rainbow w/ pony synth knot is my favorite synth. If it’s anything like it’s name’s sake, they must be pretty darn good!

I picked up this Epsilon Horse Hair and have been using it for the past 15 shaves. I must say I have really enjoyed using this Brush. It has great backbone allowing it to load from a triple mill puck with ease and provides a nice scratchy feel. The handle is so Simpson Chubby and the Butterscotch is a nice colour and kinda antique looking which I also like.View attachment 1166586
Nice looking brush. The butterscotch seals the deal. I've never tried horse, but probably will. I've been exploring cheap Zenith boars, and I've noticed the horse brushes, but they're quite a bit more cost than a boar.

This is my Vielong 50/50.

I absolutely love this brush. Makes lather quickly and easily from both hard soaps and cream. I think they are something people should try and I personally believe they should have a better reputation!

Attachments

• IMG_20201011_133354_820.jpg
    IMG_20201011_133354_820.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 16
These are the ones I own and when I bought the Zenith I was hooked so from left to right

Zenith Horsehair 50/50, Rubberset 400/4 Vie-Long 24mm Brown Horse Hair, unknown chrome horse but 50/50

20200217_005316.jpg
20200217_005354.jpg
20200217_005418.jpg

I love using them and get fantastic lathers from each one.

As been said very under-rated and that is a great pity more people should use them......

"50/50" . Does this mean half mane and half hair but 100% horse over all? Or is it horse mixed with something else?
50% mane + 50% tail hair.
Do they shed ? Ìve seen some nice ones for sale but am wary of them shedding.
That has not been a problem with my brush, made by Vie-Long. You do want to soak the brush for a few minutes, just to get the hair soft and flexible. You don't want to smash the brush into the face, as some people love to do. Just light pressure is all that is needed.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Do they shed ? Ìve seen some nice ones for sale but am wary of them shedding.
Yes, my Vie-long white shed like crazy. Replaced the knot but not early enough to dampen a lot of frustration.

Ive lost about 4/6 hairs I think.

I agree with soaking just for a few minutes.

I mainly use painting motions to make my lather, both on the face or palm lathering and the horse brush outperforms my synthetics. Love it.

Decided I wanted to give a horse hair brush a try, so I grabbed one of the last ones of these from Maggards

Decided I wanted to give a horse hair brush a try, so I grabbed one of the last ones of these from Maggards

That's the brush I bought just for the knot I removed it from that handle and fitted it into a Rubberset 400 seen below its the brush on the right-hand side.

Yes, I love that knot it makes fantastic lather.

20190221_141548.jpg

Top Bottom