What's new

Honing with Thermal tape?

I have seen a few videos of honing where instead of using electrical tape, the honer uses a kind of shiny thin tape, Can anyone relate? Is it a thermal tape? Is it used for no residual adhesive? For being thin? For endurance of tape?
What is the name of this product?
I ask because I hate electric tape isolator but do want to protect the spine on my fancy razors

It is called Kapton tape; I bought some on eBay (which may or may not be the 'real thing'). It is thinner than electrical tape, and wears well, but I find it still needs replacing when honing a razor from bevel set to finisher. If you search on 'Kapton' here you will find many opinions... :)

This is the tape

IMG_1896.jpeg

It is called Kapton tape; I bought some on eBay (which may or may not be the 'real thing'). It is thinner than electrical tape, and wears well, but I find it still needs replacing when honing a razor from bevel set to finisher. If you search on 'Kapton' here you will find many opinions... :)
Thank you

What is the name of this product?
It is called polyimide film, manufactured by DuPont and the marketing name is Kapton. It has different properties if we compare it to the traditional insulation tape. Kapton polyimide film is still used as an electrical insulator in some aplications (e.g.: vacuum, airspace, PCBAs, etc), but can also be a good thermal insulator.

Yup, Kapton. I use the eBay Kapton and it works just fine, may or may not be actual Kapton.

It is thin so if you do not want the extra thickness.

I use tape because I polish my razors and do not want the spine wear after spending time polishing.

I tape with Kapton over one inch of electrical tape, it wears a lot longer and you only need to replace the Kapton if it wears. It also prevents the electrical tape from wearing and lifting at the edge if you do not tape the full spine.

If you use Kapton, invest in a dollar store tape dispenser. Kapton is so thin it will stick to itself with static in the air. Peeling off a piece from a roll, with wet or damp hands and short fingernails can make you crazy.

Kapton is inexpensive, make sure to buy 22mm - ¾ inch, wide enough to cover both sides of the spine on some wide spine razors.

The one inch of tape makes honing smiling razor easier and hone towards a smile on straight blades.

I place a 1-inch of electrical tape in the middle of the spine between the heel and toe, then place a longer piece of Kapton about 2-2.5 inches over the electrical tape.

The 1-inch of tape will act as a fulcrum and allow you to slightly roll the razor and create even pressure across the whole bevel. Try it, the 1-inch will allow the razor to rock slightly, when laid on the stone.

I use Alex Gilmore’s Ax Method, straight half strokes. Straight strokes can hone towards a frown especially if you use pressure. I arc my straight stroke to a curve stroke to more of a mini rolling X stroke, using the tape as a fulcrum. (So, the razor toe starts near the left edge and ends near the middle of the stone at the bottom of the stroke).

I finish each stone or nagura with full rolling X strokes to blend the bevel and to hone the heel and toe fully.

It works even without the Kapton, but the electrical tape heel edge will lift with wear. Kapton keeps the electrical tape edges out of play, I can hone a razor from bevel set to finish without replacing any tape.

An extra piece of Kapton makes a nice “Micro” bevel.

Much thanks for the detailed explanation. That helps, I’ll try it next time.

I suppose you have to follow the same taping for minor touch ups as well?

Yup. You can use the same electrical tape for several razors. I hone several razor at a time, almost daily. So, I remove the 1-inch of tape and stick it to the side edge of my bench and can hone several razors with the same piece, saves a few seconds.

The trick to Kapton is a tape dispenser, I can tape a razor in seconds, so touch up is a snap. For me a touch up is an 8 or 10k to re-set the bevel to near mirror, then to a Jnat with lite diamond slurry thinned to water or under running water. Or Ark

I just started using it, but it’s thin and no tuffer than Elecrical tape. I do find it has a much better feel than Elecrical tape, I hardly notice it when honing. So far I like it, if I can save the spine on some of my old favorites why not.

If you want tougher tape, but still thin, try packing tape. The one they sell at the Post Office, branded only as USPS, is pretty slick and tough. Thicker than Kapton, thinner than electrical tape.

Comes in 2-inch wide rolls, in a small plastic dispenser, so you will have to cut it to width. I use it for knives where I want to protect the finish. Also sticks like crazy.

Top Bottom