What's new

Honing Service in Orange County, CA?

Hi,

I am super excited to be diving into the world of straight razors. I’ve been a DE shaver for almost 10 years.

I bought a Dovo Bergischer Lowe, but I need to get it honed. I am eager to start using it, and want to avoid mailing if at all possible. I attempted to use it straight out of the box, but could tell the manufacturer “ready to shave” wasn’t even close to sharp enough.

Is there anyone in Orange County, CA that can do this?

I see a few places up in LA (Ross Cutlery, TheShaverShop, Manny’s Sharpening) but if I need to do this every few months, I’d prefer to find somewhere closer.

In the long term, I do plan on learning how to hone, but I’ve seen recommendations to tackle learning how to use the razor first and get it professionally honed at first to know how sharp it should feel like.

Thanks for your recommendations!
-Joel

Can't speak for the other two, but Ross Cutlery is an absolute no-go for razors. I purchased a razor there that was supposedly shave ready a while back when I lived in LA, and the edge was awful.

I would be weary of any sharpening service offered by someone who doesn't use a straight daily themselves. I would highly recommend finding someone on these forums to do the work for you, as you'll end up with a much better result. It'll be 100% worth it even if the razor has to spend some time in the mail.

I would try to get in touch with @noahpictures as i believe he is somewhere in the LA area, and does great work.

Can't speak for the other two, but Ross Cutlery is an absolute no-go for razors. I purchased a razor there that was supposedly shave ready a while back when I lived in LA, and the edge was awful.

I would be weary of any sharpening service offered by someone who doesn't use a straight daily themselves. I would highly recommend finding someone on these forums to do the work for you, as you'll end up with a much better result. It'll be 100% worth it even if the razor has to spend some time in the mail.

I would try to get in touch with @noahpictures as i believe he is somewhere in the LA area, and does great work.
Hi John, I really appreciate your reply and recommendation. I was seriously considering making the drive to Ross because they are recommended by Dovo to service razors in the US.
I will reach out to @noahpictures. It would be great to find someone locally.
Thanks!

Top Bottom