What's new

Honing not working

One hint I have from personal experience is that it's very easy to put more pressure on the heel than the toe, resulting in the toe half of the edge not getting honed properly. I found I had to "lift" the scale end a little to get a bevel set.

And it takes a LONG time to get a GD bevel set -- the steel is rather thick and quite hard. The factory "bevel" isn't very close to what you will end up with either. I ended up using a diamond plate as my King Deluxe 300 is "glazed" and I don't yet have the 60 grit SC I need to fix it. Took a long time even on a diamond plate, but I now have several that appear to be ready to actually hone now.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Wow there were tons of bricks in the streets after Katrina. I could have made a fortune selling all those hones.

I like to use the thumbnail test to gauge when the edge has arrived (a.k.a., the bevel set). A freshly-lapped 1k synth with half-laps usually gets me there pretty quickly, but a worn, fine DMT also is great for a bit of overkill, and major thumbnail grab, provided that the strokes are up-and-down.

As far as I can tell, he's using a Norton 8000 as a basis of comparison to a brick. Does he strop and shave after using 2% milk on the brick?

I think he must use linen 100 laps then the strop I would say 150+ and i bet his eyes water with the sharpness + Happy = fantastic shave

Then he removes sunglasses to reveal 2 glass eyes

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

You guys laugh but I’m sure many real world shavers would take a well lapped dense brick over a modern Norton. I could find some use for a brick I’m sure.

That has got to be a spoof. I hope he didn't total out that straight making it, gonna take a while to get a bevel set after you pound the edge into a brick for a while....

That has got to be a spoof. I hope he didn't total out that straight making it, gonna take a while to get a bevel set after you pound the edge into a brick for a while....

I found myself wishing it had been a gold dollar, but it looked like maybe a vintage hollow that had already been honed into the stabilizer.

Top Bottom