What's new

Honing J.A. Henckles InOx stainless steel blade

I've honed quite a few blades before but never a stainless steel blade. I recently bought 3 straights, 2 carbon steel and 1 stainless steel.

There was no problem honing the 2 carbon steel blades. I've been able to shave with them. I haven't been able to successfully do that with the stainless blade yet.

It this just a matter of stainless steel being harder and taking more laps on the 1 k? How much more effort is usually required to get to the same point (bevel set)?

I have found more 1k usually fixes issue. Not always as I have two straights that are waiting for me to learn more. After honing roughly 75 straights ,I have found that there is no always. Each blade has reached shave ready with slight variations. Good luck.

I've honed quite a few blades before but never a stainless steel blade. I recently bought 3 straights, 2 carbon steel and 1 stainless steel.

There was no problem honing the 2 carbon steel blades. I've been able to shave with them. I haven't been able to successfully do that with the stainless blade yet.

It this just a matter of stainless steel being harder and taking more laps on the 1 k? How much more effort is usually required to get to the same point (bevel set)?

Just keep honing till the bevel is set. I just honed a Friodur and a Filarmonica Inox. Stayed on my EF DMT till they cut cherry tomatoes along the length and then proceeded to the jnat/thuri. Same as any other razor.

Is the Inox flat on the stone or does it need a rolling stroke?

I have a 4k equivalent dmt that I use for hard steel blades. I don't always have to use it as the 1k will get it. Make sure it's 100 set and then you be fine. You may benefit from refreshing the stone surface with a dmt to keep the cutting action going.

LOL I just made a post about this today.
The GD 300,600,800 are all SS.
I have a few other brand SS razors and for the life of me cant get them shave ready. So now I just use them as a utility knife. Was wondering if anybody has had luck with the GD SS units.

LOL I just made a post about this today.
The GD 300,600,800 are all SS.
I have a few other brand SS razors and for the life of me cant get them shave ready. So now I just use them as a utility knife. Was wondering if anybody has had luck with the GD SS units.
Sure. I've honed more than a few stainless gds. The 300 is carbon I believe. The 800 and 900 are stainless. Never honed a 600 as far as I remember. Set the bevel first . And the bring it up to whatever you finish on. None of the gds ever felt that hard on the stones. What do you use for a bevel setter? For me it's a chosera 1k. But I don't have any issue using a lower grit stone like a 600. Any of these will do the job for you.

I just honed a Henkel INOX 472 last week .Used same procedures and stones I use for carbon steel .I did not notice any difference .

Sure. I've honed more than a few stainless gds. The 300 is carbon I believe. The 800 and 900 are stainless. Never honed a 600 as far as I remember. Set the bevel first . And the bring it up to whatever you finish on. None of the gds ever felt that hard on the stones. What do you use for a bevel setter? For me it's a chosera 1k. But I don't have any issue using a lower grit stone like a 600. Any of these will do the job for you.
Im a cheap bugger. I use a Cumi 109 combination stone. Its the only stone you get in this country. And it costs like 4$ big stone. One rough one smooth. I think the smooth is like a 600. I also have a large pad with diamond dust on it. I think that its a 200 Grit again dirt cheap like 2$. Choices are limited. I once ordered a fancy stone off amazon and it came broken lol.
Anything else and you have to import. I do have the works when it comes to knife sharpening. Two systems with every grit from 100 to 10000 in stone and some diamond coated.
This SS razor I was working on is a ***. I dont think a worse razor has been made in the world. It would be fun to know if anybody ever got it to a usable state. Its the sweeney todd replica. From China. Funny swept back tapering long blade. A nightmare to work on. I think I will build my self a Bevel Jig to do hollow grinds. This is more a wedge shape. Putting in a hollow grind does help. Doing it free hand on an angle grinder not recommended lol. I can shave with it. But not something I will try again. Till it get this sharper.

How much more effort is usually required to get to the same point (bevel set)?

Depends - if you're strying to set the bevel on a King 1k, then you're gonna be there a while.
If you're working on a Chosera 1k, the difference in bevel set effort, if any, is minimal.

The make of the razor might factor in also....

oh man.. that's strange.. i have honed a large number of Friodurs of all models (including a few of the newer ones)... never found one that was hard to hone using the same setups and methods that I use for any other razor... even the wedges take thee same effort than any other carbon wedge :S

Top Bottom