What's new

Honing Equipment Questions - Please Keep It Simple for Me

The good news is there is a plethora of information on honing and the associated equipment. The bad new is there is a plethora of information on honing and the associated equipment. I feel like I am drinking from a fire hose!

I was looking at the sticky here and it was very helpful. What I want is a list of starter equipment for honing my SR. I don't want to spend or buy more than I need. On the other hand, I don't want to throw away money on an inadequate system that I need to replace.

This would be for personal use only. From reading here the, Norton 4000/8000 looks like a good place to start. Especially if that is all I need. So what do I need?

1. Is the 4000/8000 Norton a good place to start?
  2. Do I need something more aggressive than the 4000 stone (to start)?
  3. Do I need a slurry stone?
  4. Do I need a dressing stone? Is that the same thing as a slurry stone?
  5. Do I need a flattening stone?
  6. Lynn Abrams talks about lapping the new Nortons. Is this different than flattening?
Please keep it basic for me. My SR journey continues.... Thanks!

First, +1 to SliceOfLife.

I think the topic of honing needs to be divided into two sub-topics. Even with that, there will be multiple answers to your questions.

Basic: Maintaining/finishing an established edge
Advanced: Establishing or restoring an edge, including honing the bevel

What is your current target? Based on my personal experience, I recommend starting with a truly shave ready SR, then learning to shave with it at the same time as learning to maintain the edge.

My starting list:
shave ready SR from a well-known source
decent starter leather strop (I went to Tony Miller)
pasted balsa strop progression (I use a diamond 50/100/200 progression)
after a pause, pick your finishing hone or dodge the question a little longer with a sheet of lapping film (my mainstream suggestion is a Naniwa 12k)

thanks all for the responses.

Is your razor shave ready already? If so you only need a strop and a finishing hone and to maintain it indefinitely.

I think this is where I am at. I have a couple of "shave ready" SRs that weren't quite. I was able to get one shave-able with stropping (I need to test the other two after stropping them). My next step is the paste and paddle board.

I do have a brand new unused Dovo that I haven't touched yet, because I didn't want to mess it up until I practice on the less expensive SRs. I am not sure what will be needed to get that in shaving condition.

I guess my question on the finishing hone is do I need anything else to maintain or prep it? Or will it work fine "out of the box"?

First, +1 to SliceOfLife.

I think the topic of honing needs to be divided into two sub-topics. Even with that, there will be multiple answers to your questions.

Basic: Maintaining/finishing an established edge
Advanced: Establishing or restoring an edge, including honing the bevel

What is your current target? Based on my personal experience, I recommend starting with a truly shave ready SR, then learning to shave with it at the same time as learning to maintain the edge.

My starting list:
shave ready SR from a well-known source
decent starter leather strop (I went to Tony Miller)
pasted balsa strop progression (I use a diamond 50/100/200 progression)
after a pause, pick your finishing hone or dodge the question a little longer with a sheet of lapping film (my mainstream suggestion is a Naniwa 12k)

I understood the Shave Ready - but not the reliable source part. I have a decent strop that I may upgrade down the road after my skills improve. The paste I am ready to try and have some. Not sure of how it matches up to your progression.

Second the Tony Miller Plain Vanilla/Plain Chocolate strops. Great quality, tremendous bargain for what you're getting. I'd recommend 3" wide for a newbie.

My next one will be a 3". I am moving on from a newbie due to mistakes made - just not there yet!

My take on a few more topics:

shave ready / reliable source
Most SR forum denizens think that large manufacturers do not supply shave ready razors. Some manufacturers and respected retailers (Maggard, The Superior Shave) acknowledge that as fact, and offer final honing services at additional cost. There are also respected honemeisters referenced in the forums. I don’t have personal experience with any honemeisters. My expectations for SR keenness are partially informed by my Focus half-DE shavette. It also helped me get some basic technique before I was ready for an SR.

lapping/flattening
Flattening is getting a hone surface flat, usually compared to a reference surface used in the flattening process. Lapping a hone is the process used for flattening, but can also be used to alter the surface characteristics of an already flat hone. I personally think my 20mm Naniwa 12k super stone is fine right out of the box, but others could have higher standards and more time to pursue them. I do have the typical granite tile and also a granite reference slab for when my stones no longer meet my personal standard of flat.

finish honing
This is an art you can pursue as far as you want. But the basic task of bringing a manufacturer’s edge up to shave ready, or freshening an edge once stropping isn’t enough, is not time-consuming or difficult once you understand the basics of using your hone. Synthetic stones and lapping film make it pretty easy to get started. Plus, seeing the improvement you can make to your Dovo’s factory edge will give you confidence and help you understand the first nuances of a shave ready edge. Whenever I buy a new razor or get a used/vintage razor that is ”shave ready” I shave at least once with the edge as supplied, just to add to my edge knowledge.

My take on a few more topics:

shave ready / reliable source
Most SR forum denizens think that large manufacturers do not supply shave ready razors. Some manufacturers and respected retailers (Maggard, The Superior Shave) acknowledge that as fact, and offer final honing services at additional cost. There are also respected honemeisters referenced in the forums. I don’t have personal experience with any honemeisters. My expectations for SR keenness are partially informed by my Focus half-DE shavette. It also helped me get some basic technique before I was ready for an SR.

lapping/flattening
Flattening is getting a hone surface flat, usually compared to a reference surface used in the flattening process. Lapping a hone is the process used for flattening, but can also be used to alter the surface characteristics of an already flat hone. I personally think my 20mm Naniwa 12k super stone is fine right out of the box, but others could have higher standards and more time to pursue them. I do have the typical granite tile and also a granite reference slab for when my stones no longer meet my personal standard of flat.

finish honing
This is an art you can pursue as far as you want. But the basic task of bringing a manufacturer’s edge up to shave ready, or freshening an edge once stropping isn’t enough, is not time-consuming or difficult once you understand the basics of using your hone. Synthetic stones and lapping film make it pretty easy to get started. Plus, seeing the improvement you can make to your Dovo’s factory edge will give you confidence and help you understand the first nuances of a shave ready edge. Whenever I buy a new razor or get a used/vintage razor that is ”shave ready” I shave at least once with the edge as supplied, just to add to my edge knowledge.
I have been shaving with a shavette for a while "honing" my technique (sorry for the pun), in preparation to shaving with an SR. I have tried the less expensive used SRs as I have received them, with my shavette ready as a back-up. I will have to try the new Dovo.

Thanks for the clarification on the lapping/flattening! I think I have mastered managed the stropping ok so far. Also the general advice and support is very helpful!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This worked well for me. All you need to know is here:

If your blades' beveles are are properly set, you can forget the first one. If your blades are truly shave ready, you can also forget the second one.

Top Bottom