What's new

Hone for beginner

When using a BBW is it advised to use a BBW slurry stone, or is it advised to use a coticule slurry stone?

There are these combo slurry stones available that may fit the bill when using Bart's three stone Diamond/BBW/Coticule method.

Yeah, you want to use a coticule slurry stone for the coticule slurry and a BBW slurry for the BBW slurry. You don't want to mix them

A DMT could work if you don't have a slurry stone.

But yes, those combo slurry stones are great (that's what I have and use :thumbup1:)

My new coticule is at home already. I received it during this week.
Size is 175*40.
Although I am new to straights, and I was having a shave ready razor that I used like 6-7 times, I decided to try the coticule just with water.

First attempt was quite difficult. New sensations.
have used the coticule just with water 3 times already. I believe that with the coticule is very difficult to overhone, for that reason, and just to start getting the feeling, for each round, I did like 60 to 80 laps. shaves in between.

I have shaved with it twice. I have to say that I was surprises how well the blade was feeling in my face. Better than before :w00t:. I was feeling it smoother and also easier to handle it. I think that buying a coticule has been really a good investment. Just beginning and I am really happy with it !!

Thanks for all the people that posted their suggestions in this thread.:thumbup1:

Motero57

I just re-read this thread from start to finish again. Can't thank the Masters enough for their knowledge!

Instead of buying a new str8 when I have 4 vints and a relatively new Dovo, I'm considering buying a coti or Nani 12K and a GD razor and playing around with it. I also already have a Barber's hone courtesy of Gugi. Until I figure out the new stone, I'll use the Barbers for touch ups.

If I can make the GD cut like butter on my face from the new hone alone, I may be able to stop sending my razors out for honing to B&B members eventually...thus achieving the independence sought when I began this str8 sojourn!

Last edited:
I just re-read this thread from start to finish again. Can't thank the Masters enough for their knowledge!

Instead of buying a new str8 when I have 4 vints and a relatively new Dovo, I'm considering buying a coti or Nani 12K and a GD razor and playing around with it. I also already have a Barber's hone courtesy of Gugi. Until I figure out the new stone, I'll use the Barbers for touch ups.

If I can make the GD cut like butter on my face from the new hone alone, I may be able to stop sending my razors out for honing to B&B members eventually...thus achieving the independence sought when I began this str8 sojourn!

That's a great idea. I would recommend getting something more than just a Naniwa 12K, though if that's your goal. Good luck with gaining your straight razor independence!

Paul,

What would you suggest?

Well... that depends on what you want? Naniwa Super Stones are very highly regarded stones that you can get in a full run for less than some Japanese finishing stones or extra large coticules that I've seen (under $400).

Or you could get a DMT 600 and a Coticule and have enough to do pretty much anything you want

Or the Norton kit off of amazon. This combined with your barbers hone and maybe some Chrom Ox (or Cerium Oxide even) will provide you with virtually everything you "need" (with the exception of skill) to have great results for the rest of your life.

There are many options that will work really well IF YOU LEARN what they take. Pick a setup, go with it, learn it, and you'll be just fine. To be perfectly honest, the differences in all these finishes is very small and are imperceptible to all but a few guys who really really dive into the esoteric side of all this stuff.

Well... that depends on what you want? Naniwa Super Stones are very highly regarded stones that you can get in a full run for less than some Japanese finishing stones or extra large coticules that I've seen (under $400).

Or you could get a DMT 600 and a Coticule and have enough to do pretty much anything you want

Or the Norton kit off of amazon. This combined with your barbers hone and maybe some Chrom Ox (or Cerium Oxide even) will provide you with virtually everything you "need" (with the exception of skill) to have great results for the rest of your life.

There are many options that will work really well IF YOU LEARN what they take. Pick a setup, go with it, learn it, and you'll be just fine. To be perfectly honest, the differences in all these finishes is very small and are imperceptible to all but a few guys who really really dive into the esoteric side of all this stuff.

Awesome Sir...thx so much for the info!

Top Bottom