What's new

Home was...burglarized...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I am so sorry for this burglary. Sorry we have a society where it's so rampant.

We have plenty of it around here although I live in a "good" neighborhood. I've been broken into several times. Not recently (knock on wood).

I think we have fewer break in robberies now. The word has gotten out in the criminal community that homeowners are allowed and almost encouraged to shoot home invaders and burglars (should the home owner happen to be home, and one never knows they're not). Still, my next door neighbor's house was burglarized within the last year when they were gone out of town.

It always has, to me, felt like I've I've been badly violated. It feels dirty. It goes way beyond the lost objects.

You are far more forgiving than me.

Oh, sometimes I've gotten some of the articles back. My class ring from my final school and terminal degree, the only ring I care about other than my wedding ring, has been stolen twice, and both times was ultimately returned to me. Once by a pawn shop. Once by a navy brig administrator. The ring has my name engraved inside though.

Most items are gone forever. I hope the crooks choke on them.

Happy shaves,

Jim

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I appreciate your concern...but this is life in Columbus, Ohio. I pretty much hate it here, but it is not like I can displace to the Yukon and live off moose harvested at long-range with a .300 WSM while listening to NPR on the radio.

No...that is not reality. The reality is that I have been expecting this for a few months now, at least, but I didn't do anything. Complacency. That's what it was.
You could live in the Yukon if that is what you want. I lived in Alaska for four years (mil) and the summers in the Yukon were amazing. The hard part is getting there. A talented contractor has always been able to survive in those places. Maybe this was the kick in the pants you needed to go somewhere you actually want to be.

Came home early evening on Wednesday to find my back door kicked in and my home burglarized. My Playstaion 4...gone. (It didn't work, due to a worn out HDMI port). Playstation 3, gone. Laptop...password protected, gone.

Wristwatches...gone. That was about $800 in watches. My flagship watch was a Seiko Prospex solar Fieldmaster. Gone.

I have remaining to me a "Scuba Dude" Vostock diver watch. He didn't find that...

He used a travel duffle bag of mine to secure his loot. In it was my best nickel-plated Tech and a Slim...with most of a tuck of Shark blades.

But he left my razors in the bathroom undisturbed.

My only hope is that he uses that Tech or Slim and discovers the finer things in life. And that my wristwatches provide a higher degree of class and dignity than horrible gas station watch "bling".
My place had this happened a couple years ago. My neighbor chased.them off but they grabbed a shotgun, previous neighbor broke in the same place as well. Hilltop , Columbus Ohio. Moved since then and looking to buy now. A ring doorbell is Handy as well for video. Hope the best for you , take care.

Sorry to read about the burglary. The invasion of your home in no uncertain terms sucks. But fortunately no one was injured or killed by what may have been a crazy person. Possessions can all be replaced, even if not identically, but people cannot.

Only good things ahead for you.

No, guys. I don't need any more razors. Especially Techs. I've got 3 gold plated ones just lying around. And plenty of other models besides.

Thanks, but I am good in the razor department. Today's shave was my long handle Progress with a carbon steel Treet.

A man's home is his castle, but it shouldn't have to be a fortress - Bill Watterson

If only the world was so ideal. Sorry for your misfortune. May karma catch up to that person.

I am so sorry for this burglary. Sorry we have a society where it's so rampant.

We have plenty of it around here although I live in a "good" neighborhood. I've been broken into several times. Not recently (knock on wood).

I think we have fewer break in robberies now. The word has gotten out in the criminal community that homeowners are allowed and almost encouraged to shoot home invaders and burglars (should the home owner happen to be home, and one never knows they're not). Still, my next door neighbor's house was burglarized within the last year when they were gone out of town.

It always has, to me, felt like I've I've been badly violated. It feels dirty. It goes way beyond the lost objects.

You are far more forgiving than me.

Oh, sometimes I've gotten some of the articles back. My class ring from my final school and terminal degree, the only ring I care about other than my wedding ring, has been stolen twice, and both times was ultimately returned to me. Once by a pawn shop. Once by a navy brig administrator. The ring has my name engraved inside though.

Most items are gone forever. I hope the crooks choke on them.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The cultural lesson I've learned from your post, Jim, is causing me to think. My understanding of my community (south Seattle, the "sketchy" part of town) is that folks don't own guns, by and large, except for gang members. I don't judge either way, but I am thinking about my understanding of statistics about gun ownership, and the odds of owning a gun being used in a tragic family situation. Thanks for making me think about this issue. (I've never fired a gun, by the way.)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The cultural lesson I've learned from your post, Jim, is causing me to think. My understanding of my community (south Seattle, the "sketchy" part of town) is that folks don't own guns, by and large, except for gang members. I don't judge either way, but I am thinking about my understanding of statistics about gun ownership, and the odds of owning a gun being used in a tragic family situation. Thanks for making me think about this issue. (I've never fired a gun, by the way.)
Target practice is relatively cheap, and 90% of the first time shooters I've been with loved it.

And @AshleyC : so sorry. As I am trying to learn to live more like Jesus, and Mr Rogers, I am sad to have to admit that much like @MntnMan62 expressed, I pray that I'm far away if that ever happened to me. I'm sitting here in my Lazyarseboy with a .357 at hand.

I don't think Jesus or Mr Rogers would be okay with me shooting some crackhead in the knees for taking my watches.

Hope I never find out. I am proud of how you are dealing with this my friend.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

It's not the main part of my professional life by any means but I occasionally deal with the victims of home invasion. It's not a pretty subject, but I want to talk about another variant.

My daughter and her roommate were the victims of a creepy crawler who would come into their apartment when they were gone and move things around. I suppose the invader thought it a big joke to gaslight them or something of that nature, or he got off on it in some way. For a while the landlord and police dismissed it, but they finally got on board with the reality. Eventually, the point of entry was discovered and sealed, and the entries ceased.

The terrifying part of the situation was, as I saw it, this: Let's say one of the young women happens to come home when the creep in in the apartment. They've now seen him and can identify him. He's not hard to find because he lives in the same building. He is facing prison for felonies. His other option is what?

His other option is to kill the witness!

Yes, sometimes the confronted crackhead stealing your tv will run away when confronted never to be seen again, but sometimes that's not their best option either in reality or in their distorted and perhaps psychotic and perhaps sociopathic and/or psychopathic viewpoint.

I would truly hate to kill a home invader, but the decision to do so has long been made should I be so unfortunate.

Interesting book on the subject.

I don't mean to hijack this conversation or turn it into a discussion about guns or gun rights or politics or anything of that sort, but apparently that ship sailed while I was napping. If it didn't, I hope it stays in the dock.

I'm very sorry our shaving brother was burglarized.

It's a very fine line to walk, but I truly believe in forgiving the criminal (although I'm not good at it), and I believe criminals should be locked up so they have no access to those of us minding our own business. I'm not big on retribution, but I want the rest of us to be protected from those who prey on others.

Happy shaves,

Jim

This guy waited until I was gone for the day, so the scenario where I repel boarders with nickel-plated .455 Webleys in either hand while my white scarf flutters in the wind doesn't really apply. If I'd had guns at my house...this guy would've stolen them.

Which is why I'm grateful the guns I do own...are over at my sister's!

Three years ago in the summer I left my front window open at night for the cooler air. And I fell asleep on the couch with the TV on. Well, at 2 AM I happened to wake up and see a...gentleman...halfway through that front window.

He was not expecting the strong language I deployed against him. But it did the trick. I did not pursue, due to my state of undress.

Life in the Big City...

Came home early evening on Wednesday to find my back door kicked in and my home burglarized. My Playstaion 4...gone. (It didn't work, due to a worn out HDMI port). Playstation 3, gone. Laptop...password protected, gone.

Wristwatches...gone. That was about $800 in watches. My flagship watch was a Seiko Prospex solar Fieldmaster. Gone.

I have remaining to me a "Scuba Dude" Vostock diver watch. He didn't find that...

He used a travel duffle bag of mine to secure his loot. In it was my best nickel-plated Tech and a Slim...with most of a tuck of Shark blades.

But he left my razors in the bathroom undisturbed.

My only hope is that he uses that Tech or Slim and discovers the finer things in life. And that my wristwatches provide a higher degree of class and dignity than horrible gas station watch "bling".

I admire your sangfroid in this situation. I'd be tempted to flip out.

Top Bottom