What's new

A newbie checking in

hello there b&b

i stumbled upon wet-shaving filling a lazy afternoon at work on reddit and what followed was my lazy afternoons being entirely consumed with researching anything and everything wet-shaving related...

obviously it didn't take long before i made my way to b&b, first as a source of research and reviews and i guess starting with yesterday a source of purchases. so here I am with my first real post.

i got into wet-shaving in april with purchasing with my purchase of a EJ 89bl and a VDH luxury set and proraso soap. i wanted to keep it reasonable for starting out but it seems like that's near damn impossible. since then I've gone on to acquire:

-3 slims
-1 Fat boy
-1 gillette tech
-a large razor sampler pack with your run of the mill brands and a smaller pack with super iridiums and israeli personnas
- a Semogue 820 brush
- and variety of soaps and balms

as a last thing (i promise!) i'm waiting to acquire a nice brush (a simpson colonel x2l from a b&b'er) to upgrade my VDH brush (loses 1-2 hairs every day) and with that I hope i can put an end to my acquisitions for a while. There's no denying that it's excessive (well i guess i could've bought that NOS aristocrat for $140 on ebay but thankfully didn't), but to me wet-shaving is adding variety and thrills to what was a daily chore, getting a better shave cheaper and taking my time to master a "lost art". When I received my first slim the other day, I couldn't wait to get back home to shave and whether i got a new acquisition or not I realy do look forward to that shower and shave.

Strangely enough, when i was getting ready to put the hours of training I got from youtube (my senseis were mantic59 and geofatboy) with my first wet-shave, I started recalling long lost memories of being a young boy watching my father shave, observing his routine. I guess i'll chat with him about his old ways when i see him in a month and i guess if he was I will drop one of the slims off with him. Luckily for me i guess, I'm turkish and it turns out there's a ton of wet-shaving stuff to try out at home (i'm praying that perma-sharp really does it for me so I can have it as my daily shaver very cheaply vs the iridiums (which really are pretty darn good), and i'll see what the fuss is about with the arko's).

anyways, it's great being here and I hope to contribute to reviews section when i feel sufficiently experienced. thx for reading and see you all around

Welcome to B&B!

Nice introduction and great acquisitions so far. I honestly believe classic shaving is one endeavor where self restraint really is a virtue. I've unwittingly become a slave but you can still enjoy your freedom. Stick to what you like, save some money and become a poster boy for us all. Yes, a futile exercise, I know.

thank you all for the warm welcome guys. Right now i'm at home and took delivery of my first fatboy and once again i'm feeling the jitters of going back home and taking it for a spin.

for my next post i might look to do maybe a post on an agent i am using to clean my used razors (Photo-Flo 200 solution). i used to use it for cleaning my vinyl but i don't honestly know if it really helps in this instance. It's a little like soap, used to break surface tension which is useful in cases of getting to the various creases in a slim's handle for instance. I also use a ethanol mix to disinfect and get the oil out of the handle.

Top Bottom