What's new

Home Security Systems

I've made sure my neighbors have nicer stuff than I own. One look at the truck in the driveway and would-be thieves are off to the next house . . . .

Thanks for the inputs so far everyone. I guess I should have mentioned that I'm in the Indianapolis area, so if anyone is around there that could comment that would be great. I also agree with a lot of you about he ultimate "usefulness" of any system. We do have some cameras installed around the home, and I'm trying to get that set up currently. I've got a Swann system, and having some issues communicating with it via the computer right now....

Fantastic system from what I hear. I'm planning to use it in the future. http://simplisafe.com/

My sister is actually installing one of these systems. Not sure what the $$ is for monitoring, but something like this is an intriguing concept. Wish it didn't look so....plastic.

Our house was broken into a few years ago and so we got security system installed after it. We've had a number of false alarms (i.e. our dog sneaking up onto the couch and triggering the motion detector), but we know of at least two occasions when its gone off and there has been no accounting for it, i.e. that someone was trying to do something. One piece of advice: I would check with your insurance company and see if they offer a discount if you install a system (and its a reason why I don't know if I'd install one of these newer systems - I don't know if you get a discount). Our monitoring fees are almost counterbalanced by the savings.

Gents, another thing to remember is no matter what your insurance company tells you, most times things have to happen in a certain sequence. First, and this is one of the most important aspects of the entire process; Does your insurance company require the system to be installed and monitored by a registered security installation company to gain the discount? As an adjunct requirement, do they also require the system to be 'professionally monitored' to maintain the discount?

Other considerations. Local authorities. I did not realise this til I started looking into systems for our home but in most jurisdictions you must have and up to date alarm permit on file to receive any acknowledgement from law enforcement in case of notification by the monitoring service. Many jurisdictions will not dispatch an officer to your home unless this is verified in their records. It is not a hard and fast 'law' sort of thing but policy driven in most cases. It also depends upon your location. Small city with a low crime rate is much more likely to garner a response. Permit or not.

I also feel it is prudent to pass along what I have learned about this industry. Now mind, I am not a security installer nor some armchair expert. But I do work in the 'technical skilled trades' and see a lot of different systems and equipment installed in our facilities. Trust me here when I tell you the security industry as a whole has a very dubious reputation. I suggest you fully vet any company you decide to go with. Particularly for the monitoring services. Some of those contracts are hard to break with huge fees.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Where I am, the installation required a Building Permit (yes, that's right), even though the extent of "Building" was to attach the pad to the wall and the sensors to windows and doors.
The purpose of the Permit, ostensibly, was to have that on file authorization for the local Police and Fire Departments.

We use Connect One, which uses Honeywell equipment. About $20 a month. Make sure to have a window-break alarm for any window in the bathroom that does not open. We didn't opt for video, which would have been nice in an area with more people. The best part is the software app for phones and tablets... much easier to set and turn off the alarm, including as you drive off or pull in with you car. That also avoids having to race in to turn off the alarm. Yo can also set off the panic alarm (they also give you two panic remotes) and intruder code that makes it look like you are disabling the alarm while in fact you are sending a silent alarm.

We use a local company. It's nice when I call in to have the system up into test, or I burn dinner, that the dispatcher is familiar with the area.

Top Bottom