What's new

Home Security Systems

NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT ABOUT USING A GUN! I have no problems with firearms. But I am looking for information in monitoring services. As successful as a gun could be, it is not going to monitor my home in the event of fire/being away. Thank you.

With that out of the way, just curious what companies yall use or have used. We have used ADT in the past, and thankfully never had to take advantage of their service. However, something tells me that a lot of what I pay for with ADT goes towards their marketing/advertisements. I'd just assume the money go towards my service.

So, sound off fellow B&Bers! I know there are several install yourself wireless systems. Is the monitoring there good? Also, what are good questions to ask about when shopping around. I figure trying to find someone with a monitoring hub in my area/region is better than one that is monitored from a call center overseas, for example.

Evan, good topic. I have been looking into this as well. One negative aspect is the current state of monitoring fees. Most of the big names are charging $45-60 per month depending upon service package. And they are pushing 3 year contracts!

It may be worth looking at diysecurityforum. Not so much for the tech but there is a sub forum for monitoring services. Some of the independent providers are much cheaper but you need your own gear. Hope it helps.

In NJ, I use a company called AMCEST. The previous owner, who had every window & door hard-wired & monitored (along with motion detectors), already had it installed and I just continued with them. I think it currently costs me $250-300 a year. I looked into switching, but guys I worked with at the time were not happy with their ADT or Slomin (too many false alarms). I never had a break-in, or false alarm and don't have wireless, so I can't comment about other systems. My daughter did set off the smoke alarm once and the fire dept showed up, so I know it works. A CO detector is also hard-wired. I think AMCEST now offers wireless panel with a fob to turn it off and on, but I never bothered upgrading.

I have no possessions that are not replaceable. My only concern is with someone breaking into my house while I am there. A self-contained system with a loud alarm is sufficient for my needs.

I have neighbors, I find them to be the best option, used them for years and have not been disappointed.
Hey bob, I'm going on vacation keep a eye on the house.
sure thing.
Friends work well to.
At some point they will ask you to watch there house and I don't mind because bob is a cool guy.

Here in south texas I currently use Smith Thompson, it's pretty resonable at $16.95 month with no contract, we initally purchased all the equipment (house was pre-wired) and the Tech was in/out in no time, I have tested it several, several times over the months and they always call within 3-5 minutes

ADT is the big gun in the business. I've been with them for 30 + years now.

One thing I would strongly recommend is that for your home security system that you DO NOT use any system that allows you to connect with your cell phone.

There is little point in a security system that can be easily hacked and disabled by anyone who owns a smart phone.

EVERYTHING I put in is DUMB. I.E. it CANNOT connect to the outside world via cell. This goes for appliances, home HVAC, CCTV, and alarm system.

You want a CLOSED system where only YOU can activate/deactivate it while you are STANDING in front of the keypad using your warm fingers.

Just my 2 cents

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I use my cable company. It's an affordable bundle with security, phone, internet and TV. They've been great.

I did use ADT for many years with no problems.

I don't think smart systems are any more easily hacked than dumb systems. If someone really wants to get into your house they will.
Alarm systems are primarily deterrents, as are dogs, but nothing is unbeatable.

I don't think smart systems are any more easily hacked than dumb systems. If someone really wants to get into your house they will.
Alarm systems are primarily deterrents, as are dogs, but nothing is unbeatable.

$Puppy.jpg

Fritz wishes to disagree with you, he has defended the house against birds, a rabbit, a cat, and the turtle, that mostly just sits there and looks at him.
Nothing gets past Fritz, NOTHING!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
More and more people now are opting out of a land telephone line. This means any system installed is going to use cell technology to call out to the police or fire department. Mine does, as I don't have a land line.
So, yes - there is a way for someone to work their way into the system, but frankly, anyone with enough sophistication to do so would be able to work around a disconnected system or one connected with a land line as well.
An alarm system is just the next tier up of locks, and the old saying "locks keep honest people honest" holds true.
I have a loud audible alarm, and a wireless sensor on every door and window.

Over the past approx. 2 years, we have had about 4 false alarms;
Once the basement window fell out of its housing (someone forget to lock it in place after putting window film on it :blushing:)
Once we had a thunderstorm so fierce that a peal of thunder shook the house and set off the alarm. (proved that the broken glass detector would work).
The remaining events were me walking in or out while forgetting that the system was armed.

My system is ADT, but they are not the only game in town.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
We are using for over 15 years Monitronics. We have also no phone landline anymore and they use a cell technology.
Since we have three dogs, motion sensor are "senseless" for us, so glass break sensors are installed as well as door sensors. The system also has a fire/CO monitor which is in the basement. Everything is wireless.
Thunderstorms never set the sensors off, but one time the dogs played wild and tossed something over which then set the sensors off.

I have no possessions that are not replaceable. My only concern is with someone breaking into my house while I am there. A self-contained system with a loud alarm is sufficient for my needs.

As mentioned, the dogs serve this purpose fine. But they only work when they're at the house. Since they're little they travel with us a lot. In which case my primary defense is the neighbors.

Being old and entrenched has a few advantages.

Just how badly did the rabbit want to get inside?
:)

That dastardly rabbit was trying to eat the clover that grows in the back.
This morning there was a very suspicious bush that needed to be barked at. It just might have been a ninja bush.

I have always looked on home security systems as somewhat of a "solution in search of a problem". Now, I grant you, this is coming from a Canadian perspective, but I agree with the previous poster with respect to being away from the home. There is nothing in my home that is not replaceable or uninsured. that is why on buys insurance. If something occurs while the family IS home, I am prepared for that unlikely event.

Most home security companies want you to feel like you are living in the Gaza Strip, but it just isn't so . . .

Top Bottom