What's new

Home Made Pasta Sauce

As promised, below is the recipe for the pasta sauce that has been in my family for at least 3 generations. This is a very hearty dish and is based on the style of cooking that would be found in the Basilicata region of Italy.

I have pared the recipe down a bit. I usually make double or triple the amount and freeze the remaining portions for later use. In addition to the meats below, you can add any other meats to the sauce.

Ingredients:
  • Meatballs made with equal parts of ground beef, pork, and veal.
  • Italian sausage.
  • One of two pork shanks split.
  • A few pork spareribs cut into two sections.
  • Braciole
  • Olive oil
  • One large onion diced.
  • Two cloves of garlic minced.
  • One large can of Italian tomatoes puree (the original recipe called for crushed, peeled tomatoes).
  • Oregano, fresh basil (chopped or whole), two sprigs of parsley, 1 dry bay leaf, salt and pepper to taste.
  • One medium red bell pepper - minced.
  • Chopped celery
Sautee the onions and garlic in a pan. Add the pepper and celery and saute until softened. Remove the ingredients and put them in a large, deep pot. Add some more olive oil and brown the meats. Add the red wine and simmer until evaporated (1/4 cup of wine). Remove all of the meats and place them in the large, deep pot. Simmer the tomato puree in the pan for about 15 minutes. Pour the tomato puree into the deep pot and add all of the spices. The tomato puree should be sufficient to cover all of the meats. Add about 1/4 cup of red wine. Cook the sauce at a very low temperature for a minimum of one to two hours, stirring occasionally. A slow cooker works nicely. I usually cook the sauce about four or five hours. If the sauce thickens too much add some beef stock. The meat will get very tender. If there is too much fat it can be skimmed. However, I prefer to leave it for taste purposes.

We serve the meal in two courses. The first course is the pasta. You can add some fresh basil as a garnish to the pasta. The second is the meat on a large platter and served with a salad.

Lovely.
This reminds me of Sunday lunches with family and friends.
This kind of sauce would go great with cavatelli for the pasta (from Basilicata). The province of Apulia (Puglia) is next door, and it was always a treat to eat orecchiette with this kind of sauce (first course) followed by the deliciously tender meat for the second course. Especially those braciole...
Good times!

Hope you don't mind, but I'll share the recipe I use to make a quick pasta sauce at home.

I put some olive oil in the sauce pan, add in some garlic (I use a garlic press), red pepper flakes (more or less, depending on spice level you like), and onion (grated on a box grater). Saute it for a bit, then I take a can of good quality diced tomatoes (pulsed a few times in the food processor to turn into a chunky sauce) and pour that in. Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add some basil before serving, if you like.

It's quick and easy, but the overall taste is very dependent on the can of tomatoes you use. Use good tomatoes, and it has a great, fresh tomato taste to it.

Hope you don't mind, but I'll share the recipe I use to make a quick pasta sauce at home.

I put some olive oil in the sauce pan, add in some garlic (I use a garlic press), red pepper flakes (more or less, depending on spice level you like), and onion (grated on a box grater). Saute it for a bit, then I take a can of good quality diced tomatoes (pulsed a few times in the food processor to turn into a chunky sauce) and pour that in. Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add some basil before serving, if you like.

It's quick and easy, but the overall taste is very dependent on the can of tomatoes you use. Use good tomatoes, and it has a great, fresh tomato taste to it.
Very nice.

My late cousin had a simple sauce she liked in the summer. She would take diced fresh plum tomatoes, onions, and garlic and sautee them in olive oil The usual Italian spices are then added and then served over pasta.

Top Bottom