What's new

Holy vintage bakelite, Batman!

I was visiting a relative the other day, and he mentioned to me that he had a few bakelite razors in his militaria collection. Of course, I gleefully asked to see what he had. He happily pulled out 3 30's and 40's era bakelite slants for me to drool over! I wasn't allowed to bring them home for closer inspection, but he did let me snap a few pics for the forum. Any insight would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20171115_191520.jpg
    20171115_191520.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 89
  • 20171115_191550.jpg
    20171115_191550.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 86
  • 20171115_191646.jpg
    20171115_191646.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 89
The white one on the left is that one that Razorock found a big stash of a couple of years back and sold them. It was the basis of their Stealth/Kiyara slant experiments. The white one on the right is the original Fasan which PAA cloned for their BOCS. The middle one I am not sure. It is definitely a diagonal and looks like it might be a pre Merkur 75 which was a pre B3, which eventually became the razor that PAA cloned for their latest AES. @efsk would probably know what it is.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Is the baseplate upside-down on the brown one? Or is something else going on?

Neat stuff.

WWI's khaki set seems better gear than WWII's bakelite Tech set. Always saving money, these governments.

AA

Is the baseplate upside-down on the brown one? Or is something else going on?

Neat stuff.

AA
The baseplate might be upside down, but this is a diagonal and so they usually can be put together only one way. My Merkur 75 had a trough base plate like the modern Progress has and they were more rounded and so I think it this one of those.

Fasan and "Italian Barber" I agree with @gvw755
Unfortunately, the other one is a bit of a mistery to me. Sorry to be letting y'all down :)
The baseplate is NOT upside down.You can see where the handle connects to the head there's a small extrusion on the baseplate to make the proper fit. The baseplate most definately resemblesthat of the Merkur 75 (that was still produced during the 1950's), The topcap however does not and the handle, too, is different. Do you have any other pictures?

Fasan and "Italian Barber" I agree with @gvw755
Unfortunately, the other one is a bit of a mistery to me. Sorry to be letting y'all down :)
The baseplate is NOT upside down.You can see where the handle connects to the head there's a small extrusion on the baseplate to make the proper fit. The baseplate most definately resemblesthat of the Merkur 75 (that was still produced during the 1950's), The topcap however does not and the handle, too, is different. Do you have any other pictures?

Thank you sir, and everyone else, for the information thus far! At the moment, I don't have any other pics of that current razor, though I can definitely get some this weekend. The only information I have regarding it is from a reference book on WWII Axis uniforms and personal items. It was pictured and noted that it was commonly purchased and carried by soldiers, but was not military issue. The validity of that claim could also be brought to question.

Feel free to let me know what areas in specific and angles would be most useful for an id.

Ok guys I have a few more pictures of the mystery diagonal slant. Unfortunately, not hint of a maker's Mark or stamp on either the box or the razor itself. I'm hoping that the interesting assembly may be the key to unlocking the maker of it. 20171118_153245.jpg 20171118_153210.jpg 20171118_153200.jpg

Very strange. Now that I see more pics, the base plate and the handle looks like a Wardonia, however I was not aware that they made slant razors, especially a diagonal. Also, all Wardonia I seen were clearly marked on the bottom of the base plate and on their box.

Oops, sorry. I got my English bakelite razors mixed up. I meant to say Knockout razor and not Wardonia. The Knockout was the one with posts inside of the base plate to manage the flow of lather instead of a trough or holes. However, now the handle doesn't look like a knockout.

Oops, sorry. I got my English bakelite razors mixed up. I meant to say Knockout razor and not Wardonia. The Knockout was the one with posts inside of the base plate to manage the flow of lather instead of a trough or holes. However, now the handle doesn't look like a knockout.

I've been trying to dig something up with no luck either. I'd think it was a Frankenstein razor if it wasn't for the bakelite being an exact match.

The model handle is rather generic and was used on more brands in Solingen. The baseplate has a lot in common with the Merkur 75 but there are obvious differences as well: the underside is too smooth. This thing remains a mystery.
What i like as well: the Glatja! blades. I've a 1936 mailordercatalogue that shows those blades. The razor shown in that same catalogue is very different though.

Top Bottom