What's new

Hockey & Doc Emrick...

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Those certainly were the best of times ... NJ was The Beast In The East and Doc & Chico, feeding off of one other, were every bit as entertaining. Do you remember “The Unseen Hand”? :)
And speaking of hands, I can count on one of them the number of Emrick-Resch & Cangialosi-Daneyko broadcasts I missed during the 2000-aughts. Great times, good memories.

I used to have a stack of ticket stubs from heading down to the Meadowlands...there and also Hartford Civic Center to see the Whalers. Going in through the shopping mall was kinda funny.

Pierre Maguire is "nails on a chalkboard" for me. Much prefer a guy like Ray Ferraro in the spot Maguire fills.
Gord Miller on play by play is top notch, ever since Bob Cole lost his mojo about a decade back.

I'll miss Doc; I always liked the way he called a game. For me, Doc and Fred Cusick - an old Bruins announcer on TV38 - were the best play-by-play men.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Most Americans have never heard most of the best play by play hockey men because they were on Canadian broadcasters- Foster Hewitt, Bill Hewitt, and Bob Cole. Chris Cuthbert and Jim Hughson are both still at it. I prefer Cuthbert, but Hughson is terrific too.

Many Canadian hockey fans have little idea who Mike Emrick is, you know. Strange that we share this sport but know so little about each other's hockey culture. Last year when Boston College coach Jerry York was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame many Canadians wondered why a college coach could possibly be that important. A coach with 5 NCAA Championships and dozens of alumni in the NHL means no more to them than would a successful junior coach in Sarnia.

Fair comment to a point. Most folks will know of Rick Jeannerette (sp?) from Buffalo, and the NBC national broadcast crew (Roenick? Really?). But the regional guys would have less play.

and we'd know about a Junior Coach in Sarnia if he won a few Memorial Cups, because LeafsNation would be demanding that MLSE hire him to replace __________, who had continued their futility in winning a Cup. Thank God I'm a Hawks guy.

Also, Hughson sucks . . . too earnest. Tries to make an icing call sound like the most important decision since Truman authorized the use of "the bomb" (no politics intended by this sarcasm).

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Most Americans have never heard most of the best play by play hockey men because they were on Canadian broadcasters- Foster Hewitt, Bill Hewitt, and Bob Cole. Chris Cuthbert and Jim Hughson are both still at it...

And two more Candian-born greats come to mind ... Dan Kelly & the Sabres’, Rick Jeanneret. Growing up, I pretty much learned the game hockey by watching-listening to Kelly’s broadcasts. And Jeanneret ... I’ll tune-in to Sabres games on (Center Ice) just to hear to him call a game.

A couple other childhood favorites were the Blackhawks WMAQ radio duo, Lloyd Pettit & Bob Elson ... spent many a night listening to those them.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
You forgot to mention one, @Bakker1964 ... Dan Kelly’s son, John, whose, post-clutch goal, “THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOUs!” still sour my stomach when watching a Blues broadcast ... but not nearly as much as they soured me when he was calling games for the loathesome Colorado Divealanche!

Top Bottom