What's new

Hockey & Doc Emrick...

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Does anyone know where I might find a shirt similar to the one below that reads: SHUT UP DOC ??

It’s one thing that he’s calling the game as though he had an Apple Series-1 Watch, on a 3-second delay, for a monitor, but his incessant & whiny ramblings are an entirely different & unbearable thing! 😣

Oh yea, GO STARS!

shoelessjoe

Go Lightning! And they just beat Dallas 5-4.
Yes they did with, as Paul McCartney once wrote & sang, With a Little Help From my Friends (see photo 😬) ... that was a hideous call on Benn! Sad, that the outcome of a Finals game was altered by a zebra 😡

That said & with the exception of the opening game, TB is clearly the better, deeper club & especially so now that they’re taken up residence inside Khudobin’s head.

shoelessjoe

Are we the only Hockey fans?
Don’t know that, but I do know that I’m probably the only NJ Devils fan who loathes Emrick ... who was NJ’s first play-by-play voice & who later called Devil games for a decade or so.

Smart money’s on the Cup being raised tonight!!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I like Doc. My interest in the playoffs fell off considerably once Boston was bounced. I've been occasionally watching it with only one eye since then. If there were an original 6 team or any Canadian team in it, or if the Dallas team were still the Minnesota North Stars I think I'd be more interested.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Yes they did with, as Paul McCartney once wrote & sang, With a Little Help From my Friends (see photo 😬) ... that was a hideous call on Benn! Sad, that the outcome of a Finals game was altered by a zebra 😡

Karma sometimes takes a long time, but it gets there in the end.

1601160589285.png

shoelessjoe

Karma sometimes takes a long time, but it gets there in the end.

View attachment 1160544

LOL ... the sins of our fathers! Poor Hasek, poor Sabres fans. Speaking of the Sabres, my all-time fav trio, The French Connection Line — Robert-Perrault-Martin

Correction: Karma repaid the Stars via a game-6, 2000 Finals OT, Elias-to-Arnott pass/goal! Great team, those Big Bird-coached 00’ Devils!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I like Doc as a person but he takes you the whole way out of the action then draws you back in with "AND HE SCORES!"" It's such as swing of emotion for me it's like being woken up by an ice cold pail of water being thrown on me. No thanks.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
IMO Pat Foley and Eddie Olczyk are the best tandem in Hockey play by play. Of course being a Hawks fan I may be biased. :lol:

Owen Bawn

To each his own... I really think Doc adds a lot of value to the game. I watch a lot of college hockey, & here in the midwest there's a guy named Ben Holden who does a lot of games. He also does West Point football on CBS Sports Network. Holden is an outstanding hockey play by play man. Jobs are so scarce in the upper echelon of sports broadcasting... a lot of the best guys never get the call.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
To each his own... I really think Doc adds a lot of value to the game. I watch a lot of college hockey, & here in the midwest there's a guy named Ben Holden who does a lot of games. He also does West Point football on CBS Sports Network. Holden is an outstanding hockey play by play man. Jobs are so scarce in the upper echelon of sports broadcasting... a lot of the best guys never get the call.

IIRC didn't Eddie Olczyk's wife call Doc out on his excessive use of Waffle boarding? I agree with you though, Doc is a good Play by Play guy. Someone like Pat Foley will always be regional even though he has the talent to go to a network.

Owen Bawn

IIRC didn't Eddie Olczyk's wife call Doc out on his excessive use of Waffle boarding? I agree with you though, Doc is a good Play by Play guy. Someone like Pat Foley will always be regional even though he has the talent to go to a network.
My wife laughs when Doc says "He hoists it out to centre ice" when a team clears the puck out of their zone. He probably says it 4 or 5 times a game. I think he was also the first guy I heard refer to the boards just past the face off circle as the "half wall." Now they all use it.

shoelessjoe

I like Doc as a person but he takes you the whole way out of the action then draws you back in with "AND HE SCORES!"" It's such as swing of emotion for me it's like being woken up by an ice cold pail of water being thrown on me. No thanks.

BINGO!

Back in the Devil’s Cup-raising era, when Emrick & Chico Resch were calling NJ’s TV broadcasts, I was (& remain!) a Devils fan & enjoyed Emrick immensely because nearly all of his many rabbit trails pertained to behind the scenes, Devils-related info, events, anecdotes, etc.

When NBC scarfed him up & teamed him with Eddie Olcyzk & Pierre MacGuire, my fascination with & for him just disappeared. There was nothing worse than when those 3-stooges/homers called Penguin games & especially so, their playoff games. Doc’s sports career began in Pittsburgh, where he coverd the Pens for some small-time rag; MacGuire rode Scotty Bowman’s coat tails to Pittsburgh, serving as a scout & coach for the Pens & then Eddie Olcyzk did time as the head coach for Pens. You talk about three homers ... they were absolutely nauseating!

When it comes to hockey play-by-play announcers, give me TSN’s, Gord Miller ... for my money, he’s the best!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I agree but I do believe Pierre hates the penguins secretly for not making him head coach. He always acts like he knows all the players and coaches intimately. I will actually not watch a game if he is on. Lol. My first world problems. Hahaha

I believe he had the Hulkamaniac thrown out of the arena once. 🙄

shoelessjoe

We share some of the same circuitry, KeenDog 😁

Yes, I could see (hear!) Pierre remaining miffed about being passed over ... and yessir, he is a name-dropper!

You may be humored by this:

shoelessjoe

And now Doc will speak no more...
For a moment there, I thought the worst... I hope that he enjoys a long, happy retirement.

The door is now open for Gord Miller, who has called some games for NBC.

Two of my favorites ... Thorne (also) called Devils’ games way back when.

Last edited:

shoelessjoe

I always liked Doc Emrick. Listened to and watched many Devils games. He always sounded like he was having a good time.
Those certainly were the best of times ... NJ was The Beast In The East and Doc & Chico, feeding off of one other, were every bit as entertaining. Do you remember “The Unseen Hand”? :)
And speaking of hands, I can count on one of them the number of Emrick-Resch & Cangialosi-Daneyko broadcasts I missed during the 2000-aughts. Great times, good memories.

Top Bottom