What's new

Hitachi vs. Panasonic

"Quality" is a relative term, but both manufacturers make quality products in terms of performance, durability and innovation. Both are Japanese companies, and both produce (essentially) foil shavers, "essentially" meaning that Hitachi produces a rather different "hybrid" rotary (their Gee Sword and Razaq line) that look (and by report) perform like a foil, with a rotating (rather than reciprocating) linear blade under a foil. Expensive ($200+ USD), but by all accounts good shavers, with less vibration than conventional foils. Their other shavers appear to be similar to Panasonic's, and actually Remington as well. Two potential problems with Hitachi comparatively are availability, and obtaining replacement parts - and you may need to order directly from Japan. Panasonic shavers are universally available, with a much more extensive line of models and readily available replacement parts. Hitachi also, to my knowledge, offers no models with a cleaning station, whereas many of Panasonic's models do, if thats a consideration.

Having never used a Hitachi I can't personally comment on performance, but I've used Panasonics extensively, and they provide - and are noted for - the closest shave you can get with an electric, and I can verify. You'll probably find either manufacturer produces quality shavers, and if you're adventurous and like to experiment off the beaten path, Hitach provides some unique offerings.

Last edited:
W
"Quality" is a relative term, but both manufacturers make quality products in terms of performance, durability and innovation. Both are Japanese companies, and both produce (essentially) foil shavers, "essentially" meaning that Hitachi produces a rather different "hybrid" rotary (their Gee Sword and Razaq line) that look (and by report) perform like a foil, with a rotating (rather than reciprocating) linear blade under a foil. Expensive ($200+ USD), but by all accounts good shavers, with less vibration than conventional foils. Their other shavers appear to be similar to Panasonic's, and actually Remington as well. Two potential problems with Hitachi comparatively are availability, and obtaining replacement parts - and you may need to order directly from Japan. Panasonic shavers are universally available, with a much more extensive line of models and readily available replacement parts. Hitachi also, to my knowledge, offers no models with a cleaning station, whereas many of Panasonic's models do, if thats a consideration.

Having never used a Hitachi I can't personally comment on performance, but I've used Panasonics extensively, and they provide - and are noted for - the closest shave you can get with an electric, and I can verify. You'll probably find either manufacturer produces quality shavers, and if you're adventurous and like to experiment off the beaten path, Hitach provides some unique offerings.
Which one will have more blades????

W

Which one will have more blades????

Depends on which model you purchase - most of the conventional Hitachis I've seen have 3 blades - similar to the Arc 3 Panasonics. The Panasonic Arc 4 shavers have 4 blades, and the Arc 5 shavers have 5. The rotary hybrid Hitachis have 1 blade - a rotating cylinder. The number of blades have very little to do with how well they cut, but more with the number of passes needed. More blades is not necessarily better, or worse. Most Braun shavers - considered by many among the best foils today - have 3 blades, and pretty universally have a reputation for excellent shaves. Panasonics in general, whether 3, 4 or 5 blades, are also generally considered to provide the closest shaves of any electrics (thinner foils, combined with the fastest moving blades - 14,000 cpm). More blades also means a larger head, so a shaver like the Arc 5 can sometimes be a problem maneuvering around your face until you become accustomed to it.

Depends on which model you purchase - most of the conventional Hitachis I've seen have 3 blades - similar to the Arc 3 Panasonics. The Panasonic Arc 4 shavers have 4 blades, and the Arc 5 shavers have 5. The rotary hybrid Hitachis have 1 blade - a rotating cylinder. The number of blades have very little to do with how well they cut, but more with the number of passes needed. More blades is not necessarily better, or worse. Most Braun shavers - considered by many among the best foils today - have 3 blades, and pretty universally have a reputation for excellent shaves. Panasonics in general, whether 3, 4 or 5 blades, are also generally considered to provide the closest shaves of any electrics (thinner foils, combined with the fastest moving blades - 14,000 cpm). More blades also means a larger head, so a shaver like the Arc 5 can sometimes be a problem maneuvering around your face until you become accustomed to it.
Can i ask you a personal question? I was reading that on the u.s. about 70% of men and women use manual razors instead of electrics, would it be because the blade can actually give a closer shave than any electric??? What do you think??? Can u give me your opinion?????

Can i ask you a personal question? I was reading that on the u.s. about 70% of men and women use manual razors instead of electrics, would it be because the blade can actually give a closer shave than any electric??? What do you think??? Can u give me your opinion?????

If "closeness" is your only goal and criterion for shaving (excluding comfort, speed or convenience), then a bare blade is capable of accomplishing that better than an electric. Not that it will, depending on your skill level and how you shave. And among bare blades, probably a straight razor for absolute closeness - with no "lubricating pads" or safety bars to interfere with direct contact with the skin. As far as who uses what, globally, there was an earlier thread with some actual data:

As far as the NA market by dollar amount:

north-america-razor-market.png

Note that global sales of electric shavers exceeds and has historically exceeded that of non-electrics by a considerable amount - possibly either by volume or dollars spent, but more likely related to the comparative cost of electrics. In NA, with electrics and cartridges increasing as a percentage by 2025 and disposables staying relatively flat, each of them still occupy about a third of the market share monetarily. And users have their own reasons for choosing what they shave with. I use both DE razors (and occasionally cartridges), as well as electrics, none of which I use because any are "closer" than any other. All of them are close enough for what I require in a shave. Your particular mileage, and preferences, may vary. YPMAPMV.

Last edited:
If "closeness" is your only goal and criterion for shaving (excluding comfort, speed or convenience), then a bare blade is capable of accomplishing that better than an electric. Not that it will, depending on your skill level and how you shave. And among bare blades, probably a straight razor for absolute closeness - with no "lubricating pads" or safety bars to interfere with direct contact with the skin. As far as who uses what, globally, there was an earlier thread with some actual data:

As far as the NA market by dollar amount:

View attachment 1157650

Note that global sales of electric shavers exceeds and has historically exceeded that of non-electrics by a considerable amount - possibly either by volume or dollars spent, but more likely related to the comparative cost of electrics. In NA, with electrics and cartridges increasing as a percentage by 2025 and disposables staying relatively flat, each of them still occupy about a third of the market share monetarily. And users have their own reasons for choosing what they shave with. I use both DE razors (and occasionally cartridges), as well as electrics, none of which I use because any are "closer" than any other. All of them are close enough for what I require in a shave. Your particular mileage, and preferences, may vary. YPMAPMV.
Can u show me a photo of a bare blade? What do u mean that not that it will???

Can u show me a photo of a bare blade? What do u mean that not that it will???

Here's a bare blade:

proxy.php

And here's one:

proxy.php

And here's one:

proxy.php

"Bare blade" meaning a blade edge that is in direct contact with your skin when shaving, as opposed to an electric, where the - also bare - blade is separated from your skin by the thickness of a metal foil or comb. The hair shaft you cut with a straight razor is .05 mm shorter than the hair shaft you cut with a Series 7 Braun. And "not that it will" meaning that not everyone who shaves with a blade chooses to shave BBS (I don’t) - or is capable of doing so. So a particular shave with a blade - any blade, depending - may not be any closer than a shave with a Braun or a Panasonic or a Norelco. Either by intent or incidentally. That's what "not that it will" means.

Last edited:
Here's a bare blade:

proxy.php

And here's one:

proxy.php

And here's one:

proxy.php

"Bare blade" meaning a blade edge that is in direct contact with your skin when shaving, as opposed to an electric, where the - also bare - blade is separated from your skin by the thickness of a metal foil or comb. The hair shaft you cut with a straight razor is .05 mm shorter than the hair shaft you cut with a Series 7 Braun. And "not that it will" meaning that not everyone who shaves with a blade chooses to shave BBS (I don’t) - or is capable of doing so. So a particular shave with a blade - any blade, depending - may not be any closer than a shave with a Braun or a Panasonic or a Norelco. Either by intent or incidentally. That's what "not that it will" means.
Well i only ask u this because i have a really weird gut feeling that the blade will give me a closer shave than any electric, does this make sense???? Im like 90 % completely sure about this.... i dont know why but i just do. Its just this really weird, crazy gut feeling....

I suppose some questions might be: What do you shave with now? Are you happy with it? Are you considering an electric? Have you shaved with one? A blade is likely to give you a closer shave, but only you know, in your hands. If that's your desired outcome, and you now shave with a blade and like it, look no further. Lots of info on blade shaving here - all types. If you're considering an electric, also plenty of help in the forum, for almost all brands. No one can tell you how a particular tool or technique will work for you. Plenty of reading material here....

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Makes sense to me. Electric razors have some screen in front of the blade. I suppose the makers claim some sort of lift and cut that makes this as good as a blade against the skin. I've tried electric shavers more than I ever should have. Lift and cut to me translates as tug, irritate, and itch.

We are on our own journey.

I suppose some questions might be: What do you shave with now? Are you happy with it? Are you considering an electric? Have you shaved with one? A blade is likely to give you a closer shave, but only you know, in your hands. If that's your desired outcome, and you now shave with a blade and like it, look no further. Lots of info on blade shaving here - all types. If you're considering an electric, also plenty of help in the forum, for almost all brands. No one can tell you how a particular tool or technique will work for you. Plenty of reading material here....
I think that a manual razor will shave me closer because sometimes when i have a bump, the blade will cut me. An electric wont. Theres an old norelco tv commercial from the 70s that says gotcha! Sure an electric wont nick or cut you but a blade will probably cut u closer! What do u think????

I think that a manual razor will shave me closer because sometimes when i have a bump, the blade will cut me. An electric wont. Theres an old norelco tv commercial from the 70s that says gotcha! Sure an electric wont nick or cut you but a blade will probably cut u closer! What do u think????

Obviously, a blade will give you a closer shave than an electric shaver. Electric shavers work more like a pair of scissors. The hairs are clipped close to the skin rather than being cut below the first layer of skin which a manual blade can accomplish.

Electric shavers offer safety, speed and convenience which are important factors. I have been using a Braun seven series shaver for about 18 months and I get a very close shave. The entire process of shaving only takes about five or six minutes. I shave dry before showering or washing my face and the cleanup takes just a few seconds to tap and brush out the cuttings onto a piece of toilet tissue. If I’m going out in the evening, then I can do a quick touch up shave in less than five minutes if I think that I require that level of closeness. The other factor is that I never cut myself nor have to have first aid products, such as Steptic pencils, which I always needed when I used to shave using a blade. When I did shave with a blade it always took much longer than six minutes. I had to wash my face, apply the shaving cream, then I had to shave very carefully or else I would cut myself. If I didn’t cut myself the cleanup always about another five minutes including cleaning up the bathroom sink.

Prior to owning the Braun, I used to use a Panasonic shaver and had equally close, comfortable, safe and satisfying shaves. I used the Panasonic shaver daily for five years and never had to replace the screens nor the cutters. The batteries were starting to not hold an entire weeks worth of shaving. I only switched to the Braun because it was on sale for about $100. Either brand will give you a very good and comfortable shave after spending a couple of weeks becoming accustomed to the electric shaver.

Obviously, a blade will give you a closer shave than an electric shaver. Electric shavers work more like a pair of scissors. The hairs are clipped close to the skin rather than being cut below the first layer of skin which a manual blade can accomplish.

Electric shavers offer safety, speed and convenience which are important factors. I have been using a Braun seven series shaver for about 18 months and I get a very close shave. The entire process of shaving only takes about five or six minutes. I shave dry before showering or washing my face and the cleanup takes just a few seconds to tap and brush out the cuttings onto a piece of toilet tissue. If I’m going out in the evening, then I can do a quick touch up shave in less than five minutes if I think that I require that level of closeness. The other factor is that I never cut myself nor have to have first aid products, such as Steptic pencils, which I always needed when I used to shave using a blade. When I did shave with a blade it always took much longer than six minutes. I had to wash my face, apply the shaving cream, then I had to shave very carefully or else I would cut myself. If I didn’t cut myself the cleanup always about another five minutes including cleaning up the bathroom sink.

Prior to owning the Braun, I used to use a Panasonic shaver and had equally close, comfortable, safe and satisfying shaves. I used the Panasonic shaver daily for five years and never had to replace the screens nor the cutters. The batteries were starting to not hold an entire weeks worth of shaving. I only switched to the Braun because it was on sale for about $100. Either brand will give you a very good and comfortable shave after spending a couple of weeks becoming accustomed to the electric shaver.
How can u be 100% certain that the blade will beat an electric at closeness??? Im only 90% certain of this? Rsvp.

In my case, it comes down to comfort. I can get a more comfortable shave with less burn and irritation from either a DE razor or my Shick adjustable injector razor. My neck was always irritated when I shaved with an electric, but I've never shaved wet with an electric. Don't know if that would help, but I'm happy with what I've got now so why try anything else (and the blade is closer shaving!)?

How can u be 100% certain that the blade will beat an electric at closeness??? Im only 90% certain of this? Rsvp.

Being 90% certain is very close to perfection. When shaving with a blade, the blade comes in direct contact with your skin which is also why cutting yourself is common with blade shaving. When shaving with an electric shaver it’s impossible to cut yourself as long as the screen or the head is not cracked, broken or worn. The screen provides a barrier between your skin and the cutting blades. Electric shaving requires that your beard’s hair shaft has to go through the holes in the screen or slots in the head to be cutoff by the blades.

In my case, it comes down to comfort. I can get a more comfortable shave with less burn and irritation from either a DE razor or my Shick adjustable injector razor. My neck was always irritated when I shaved with an electric, but I've never shaved wet with an electric. Don't know if that would help, but I'm happy with what I've got now so why try anything else (and the blade is closer shaving!)?

Shaving wet with an electric shaver using shaving cream might reduce the irritation of using an electric shaver dry. However, if you are going to all that trouble to get a comfortable shave with an electric shaver, then you give up the connivence and speed. You might as well stay shaving with your DE razor or your Shick adjustable injector razo. Different strokes for different folks. There’s no one way to shave.

U didnt tell me if a 7 blade razor will shave closer than the flexball power razor from gillette???
Being 90% certain is very close to perfection. When shaving with a blade, the blade comes in direct contact with your skin which is also why cutting yourself is common with blade shaving. When shaving with an electric shaver it’s impossible to cut yourself as long as the screen or the head is not cracked, broken or worn. The screen provides a barrier between your skin and the cutting blades. Electric shaving requires that your beard’s hair shaft has to go through the holes in the screen or slots in the head to be cutoff by the blades.

Top Bottom