What's new

Hindostan Info/Photos/ID Thread

I have recently gotten a few Hindostans to test out and they have really won me over. They may be my favorite all around stone at this point, and I've tried quite a diverse spectrum of stones. They fit into such an interesting and useful range, being able to both do earlier level fast metal removal and go all the way up to a razor finisher. Coticles can of course do a similar range, but I find the Hindostan lends itself easier to it and doesn't have as much fickleness about it. The price is much better as well!

I'm sure not all have such range or are coarser - the three I have so far have all been similar performance and are the finer variety. Very much what people look for out of Aizu stones the Hindostan delivers when refreshed often (it needs to be refreshed more than an Aizu by comparison) but has the ability to really take things further.

Of course, an Aizu has no hope of actually finishing a razor whereas the conditioned surface of a Hindostan can, so they are certainly different beasts. Usually, Hindostans do not seem to be lookers and unfortunately a great deal of them have been used with oil and degreasing them turns them even more bland looking. The third one I got and I attached pictures of is a beautiful example that wasn't used with oil. Actually, I'm not convinced it was ever used at all besides being banged up in storage over the years. Thus far I haven't seen another Hindostan like it, but maybe more used to look this before oil and degreasing - who knows. Wet and dry picture. Slurry comes up a very nice pink and it has a very nice smell to it!

Wow, I've never seen a stone like those photos. How certain are you it is a hindo? I dont think they often have so much color, mine dont atleast. Does it have sediment lines on the side?

I like my hindos alot also

Wow, I've never seen a stone like those photos. How certain are you it is a hindo? I dont think they often have so much color, mine dont atleast. Does it have sediment lines on the side?

I like my hindos alot also
Yeah it has the side sediment lines and using it, no doubt at all that it is a Hindostan.

Attachments

• 20230315_193921~2.JPG
    20230315_193921~2.JPG
    898.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230315_193939~2.JPG
    20230315_193939~2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Yeah it has the side sediment lines and using it, no doubt at all that it is a Hindostan.

Well that is a really nice looking stone, it almost has jnat renge? like patches. A few of mine have little red circles that when looked at under magnification are crystals. But no where near as much color as that guy.

I actually have had my new hindo handling all my kitchen knife work for weeks now. I take a small soft arkansas stone and rub it down, and the surface is fresh within 10s. It makes grey swarf within about 10 knife passes and will finish to a really nice cutting edge.

Well that is a really nice looking stone, it almost has jnat renge? like patches. A few of mine have little red circles that when looked at under magnification are crystals. But no where near as much color as that guy.

I actually have had my new hindo handling all my kitchen knife work for weeks now. I take a small soft arkansas stone and rub it down, and the surface is fresh within 10s. It makes grey swarf within about 10 knife passes and will finish to a really nice cutting edge.

Yeah it does remind me a lot of the Renge in JNATs for sure. And yeah, I think they do a range of things really well with knives being their pièce de résistance.

Griswold wrote this on page 74:

View attachment 1553319

I've wondered for a while on how to differentiate the hindos I've got. I'm thinking that @cotedupy 's stone and the IGS stone are 'washita finish' hindos. I don't think I've seen hindostan examples that were any whiter.

'Buff' seems to mean different things to different people, but 'white' seems to be broadly understood.

View attachment 1553323

Color aside, I don't understand the lack of layering in either stone.

What is the exact name of the Griswold study this comes from if you don't mind?

I just snatched one of these off the bay. It’s pretty crusty. Pics when it arrives.

Nice!

Both that, and the Norton version I eventually found after were the softer, quicker type of Hindo. Which I rather rate because they are actually relatively quick cutting.

They also degrease easier than the hard, fine versions, which sounds like it might be welcome if your new one is particularly crusty and grimy.

Got a nice hindostan in one of these old iron stone holders, Patented April 26 1870? on one end cast.

s-l400 (9).jpg

Hindostans really have a special special ability for being an oil sponge.

Stone fresh out of 3rd dip:
20230429_134405.jpg

A few hours later:
20230429_212252.jpg

this was the 3rd bath, scrub and dry for the stone also... Giving another cycle now which hopefully will be the last.

It was weird, the surface feels like 220# w/d sandpaper but it finishes pretty fine. Definitely an oil only stone. It didn't drink oil as fast as I expected either. Nothing like a turkey stone, which is a sponge.
Sounds like you got a very coarse orange stone variety. Mine can feel very smooth to the touch and work well with water. I have two which will finish razors if you really want on them.

People loved sharpening hooks on these and washitas. I swear. I highly doubt many people sharpen hooks anymore. I sharpen anything if it needs it. I keep a diamond rod on my Keychain for emergency in the field sharpening.

Sounds like you got a very coarse orange stone variety. Mine can feel very smooth to the touch and work well with water. I have two which will finish razors if you really want on them.
It's pure white. It's in the pictures above. The grains feel rounded but they feel big under my nail about the size of my 220 grit diamond plate. On the pad of my finger it feels like a washita or Tam. It's a pretty aggressive stone though and leave deep scratches under pressure but it did finish surprisingly fine.

It's pure white. It's in the pictures above. The grains feel rounded but they feel big under my nail about the size of my 220 grit diamond plate. On the pad of my finger it feels like a washita or Tam. It's a pretty aggressive stone though and leave deep scratches under pressure but it did finish surprisingly fine.
Orange stone is more referring to the level of grading - the coarsest variety. Maybe it is not one of those then, there is only a small difference between them all in the grand scheme of stones.

Orange stone is more referring to the level of grading - the coarsest variety. Maybe it is not one of those then, there is only a small difference between them all in the grand scheme of stones.
Yep. Sandstone gets too fine and it falls apart, too coarse and it's nearly unusable for most purposes. I haven't noticed too much swing in any that I have. I've really come to enjoy them lately. Pyrenees(saurat) and Dalmores are amazing.

Last edited:
Question for the brain trust.... does this look like the layers are delaminating? Or did this previously belong to a fisherman with very dull hooks? The hard/ fine washita I sold(suspected llw) had some pretty deep grooves in one side(why not move around the stone) and I know for them to get there it took lots of time and someone using lots of pressure. That stone was harder than the ½" smith's "hard arkansas"(I'd call it a true medium, dead between a pike washita and norton hard) and I know it didn't wear quickly because I've sharpened plane irons, axes and lots of chisels on it regularly. This Hindo doesn't really have many visible layers, it seems like a pretty pure stone, but those grooves are on both sides. Seem kind close to the top though to effectively hone hooks on without eventually wearing one in your hand or belly.
20230620_173216.jpg20230620_173221.jpg20230620_172409.jpg

Top Bottom