What's new

High quality fluffy knot is too soft. Can someone fill me in on options?

I think I will install a brush as close to the original as I can find like in the pic. That way I'll get the stiffness and it will be like it was when Dad was using it. Can anyone recommend a good source?

The socket is 21.5 diameter and 12 deep. Do I need a 21 or 20mm knot? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Vintage Shaving Brush.png
    Vintage Shaving Brush.png
    207.5 KB · Views: 8
That brass handle really cries out for a nice badger. Get a knot from Shavemac, you should be able to get a 2 band that’s exactly the right width and loft for that brush.

Rudy V could probably give you advice on exactly what size knot to use give the depth of the socket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You won't find many 21mm knots, 20s are easier. Honestly, if I'm you, with that handle in hand and a desire for a stiff brush, I'd be most likely to do this: I have bought a few knots from Shave Forge, which resells the more popular Chinese-made knots, but their being in the US means you get quick shipping and their markup is reasonable. They have 20mm boar knots, if that's what you want, and they have a 20mm mixed badger-boar knot. I have one of the mixed knots in a vintage catalin handle that was drilled out to only 12mm depth, leaving a 50mm loft, and it's quite nice. Plenty of backbone but it didn't need to break in the way that a pure boar does, so it was ready to use right away, and the badger hair makes it look richer than a boar.

But, if you are interested in originality and stiffness, and it had a boar in the first place, and you like boar, then a boar is absolutely an option. So that's my 2c

Top Bottom