What's new

Hi to all B&B members

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd introduce myself, first day on B&B.
I'm Andy, originally from New Zealand but now settled in Australia.
Guess I have always been a 'wet shaver' never used electric at all, but like many thought I was getting the best shave form the latest Gillette multiblade. I have recently become very interested in a more pure form of wet shaving, so purchased a few items locally to get started. A Dovo classic straight 5/8 (white) some TOBS cream and a TOBS badger brush. Unfortunately my inexperience led me to rinse the straight blade in the sink of water at a hotel I was staying at, of course the plug had a big chrome knob, which put a microscopic ding in the blade egde :glare: had to finish that shave with the old Gillette :) Haven't used the straight since, as I figured I best buy a water stone and try and restore the edge, it's probably better to try my hand at honing with a relatively cheap straight.

Started to watch a lot of you tube clips, especially geofatboy from Shave Nation, so just recently ordered the Edwin Jagger DE89 and a sampler pack of blades, it is yet to arrive (joys of living down under) but can't wait to try shaving with the DE.

So next on the purchase list is the waterstone, I'm thinking a Norton 4000/8000, a decent 3" strop, another nice straight, either another Dovo or perhaps a nice TI. I would also like to try a Feather artist Japanese style razor,as I find holding the straight razor like a Japanese one the best grip for me (don't know why, just feels better for me!)

So thats my introduction, glad to be here amongst so much information and what seems like friendly banter :biggrin1:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B! You are at the right place to discuss and look at that type of gear. If you look at the Buy/Sell/Trade, you might be able to get a Japanese straight razor on there for a good price if the seller wants to ship down under.

Thanks for the welcome everyone, well finally the Edwin Jagger arrived with some Feather blades, Derby's and Shark blades. Must say the EJ is an impressive looking piece of chrome, flawless in it's chroming and a nice solid weight and heft. While waiting for the EJ to arrive I purchased an Edwin Jagger shave bowl, (white porcelain) and a tub of green Proraso shave cream.

First shave, went well, just a 2 pass WTG and XTG with the shark blade installed, was very nice and smooth, one small nick on the chin but no biggy. This was with the proraso cream which I found to be a lot thicker/denser than the Taylors, I can see why people say it lasts 6 months. I enjoyed the fresh fragrance of it too.

For my next shave, I decided to throw caution to the wind and introduce my face to a feather! Lets just say the meeting didn't go as planned, I could tell the blade was super sharp and it got wonderfuly smooth on my cheeks, two big bleeders on my chin though, and I've always had a few tiny skin tags on my neck, which never really bothered any other razor (cartridge or the shark blade) but the feather almost surgically removed them....had to laugh, felt no pain at all, so guess I have discovered a cheap and pain free skin tag removal method. I won't give up on the feathers, I just think I will wait until my technique is improved.

I have ordered some Astra blades as I have heard a lot of good things about them being almost as sharp but a lot more forgiving, but so far am really looking forward to each shave and the whole experience, the lathering up and the aromas in the bathroom....it's almost like a ritual at times.

Last edited:
Top Bottom