What's new

Hi Laz

91... Ok, so I've been shaving and honing and honing and shaving. I've been flirting a little with redness after I shave. I noticed what I would describe as little shiny stars along the edge every so occasionally and now on atleast one blade a long line along the edge, bright and shiny. Do you think that could be a wire edge? And do you think those little "stars" were a pre indicator I was approaching overhoned? I've noticed a dramatic need to use less pressure with this blade, but don't know if thats perfection or overhoned.

90. Shaving angle...I'm wondering if I'm using too steep an angle. From flat on my face it doesn't work ofcourse, then as I lift the spine I get to shaving, and then if I lift it further I get to what feels like maximum cutting effeciency. I'm wondering if there is a relationship between maximum cutting effeciency and redness? Any thoughts, I can't really give you angles, I'm thinking maybe 20-30 degrees. So my question is do you sense any benefit to not using the maximum angle that shaves well in order to achieve comfort?

91... Ok, so I've been shaving and honing and honing and shaving. I've been flirting a little with redness after I shave. I noticed what I would describe as little shiny stars along the edge every so occasionally and now on atleast one blade a long line along the edge, bright and shiny. Do you think that could be a wire edge? And do you think those little "stars" were a pre indicator I was approaching overhoned? I've noticed a dramatic need to use less pressure with this blade, but don't know if thats perfection or overhoned.

It could be. Try using less pressure when honing, and stropping. Also, use as little pressure as will work while shaving, too. The little stars might indicate tiny peices of the edge breaking off. Strop the razor and re-inspect the edge.

90. Shaving angle...I'm wondering if I'm using too steep an angle. From flat on my face it doesn't work ofcourse, then as I lift the spine I get to shaving, and then if I lift it further I get to what feels like maximum cutting effeciency. I'm wondering if there is a relationship between maximum cutting effeciency and redness? Any thoughts, I can't really give you angles, I'm thinking maybe 20-30 degrees. So my question is do you sense any benefit to not using the maximum angle that shaves well in order to achieve comfort?

You have to find what angle works best for you. Theoretically, maximumn cutting efficiency would mean cutting down at the skin surface itself. Using too much pressure while shaving or too steep of an angle will cause too much skin to get shaved off as well, which will give you irritation.
You may need to adjust the angle for different parts of your face as well.

Still at it...getting great shaves and the blades are singing sharp. One, I just realized is magnetic, is shaving so sharp it feels just a like a DE....wow. Gotta admit though its not with the Norton alone. Thank God for pasted balsa wood and .5 paste.

I'm afraid I'm out of basic questions now...I had a few more that might be mulling around but I got the knack of it quicker than I expected...thanx gentlemen.

I'm honing all my razors up now...wicked, wicked sharp! Yeeee HA!

I like the Norton hones (1000 and 4000 grit) for restoring an edge, but I haven't had much consistent luck getting them shaving sharp with the 8000 edge.

With some Star Wars lightsabers. They are very hard.

Best way I have found to lap one is with another similar type hone. They will wear out sandpaper very quickly.

AFDavis11 said:
One of the outcomes in the thumbnail test indicates a wire edge. It's when the blade makes a grating sound when moved over th thumb.
I've done a lot of experimentation with blade angle on a DE. Much of it applies to str8s. The flattest angle that will cut is the most efficient. It minimizes the pressure that must be applied to the razor and it minimizes the proportion of the pressure applied towards the face. Most often, the 30 degree anle that we are taught can be reduced, and that's to your advantage. One thng you could do is start with the razor flat and increase the angle gradually until the razor just cuts. In crease a touch more to make it comfortable and work with that angle. At first you will need to adjust many times during your shave, but in time you will get used to the feel of the angle and find it automatically. I find that i can usually shave with the spine of the blade spaced one spine width from the face.

Ok, I think this is a revisit to a past question so no points for this one. I'm finding I get better results from using pressure on the strop. I may, from my small experiments tonight, need to use pressure the first time after the hone or always. I'm not sure yet. I figure I'll just keep using pressure, but I'm not sure why this seems to work better for me...ineffective strop? Its a Russian Jemico. Maybe I have too much whatcha ma call it on there. The yellow paste? As long as I hold the strop taught and use pressure I don't seem to be rolling the edge and I seem to get a smoother shave. Without pressure I can actually feel the blade sortof feathered when I shave. Ouch! Wierd!

Update: I think it had too much yellow paste on the strop, its working fine now.

Top Bottom