What's new

Herban Cowboy "Natural Organic" Shave Soap

While shopping in Whole Foods the other day I just happened to come across Herban Cowboy Shave Soap. I thought what the heck so I tossed it into my shopping cart.

The next morning I gave it a shot and to be honest with you I was less than impressed. It did not lather that well and the small amount that did lather did not have much volume to it. As I put it onto my face it quickly thinned out to an almost liquid state. The smell was great and I felt very clean after but overall I was NOT very impressed with it but for under $5 I thought I would give it a shot just the same. I am thinking now to just use it as a bathing soap but who knows.

I also noticed that they also had a big tub of Herban Cowboy shaving cream but for $17 + I did not want to take a chance, it probably was a good decision on my part.

Anyone else out there try this product? Were your experiences similar to mine??

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks for the review Joe. :thumbup1:

I've never heard of the stuff personally. Sometimes it's even more useful to know what's not worth your money than what's fantastic.

-Nick

Joe,

It seems like there is a post or two over at SMF about this. You might check there and do a search.

Randy

Joe,
Thanks for the post/review! Yeah - unfortunatly I had a similar experience with this product - however when I went there to pick up some Weleda a/s the next day - there was an employee stocking the area with more products - we got to chit chatting, and I mentioned I had tried that soap and disliked it. Well - he told me bring it back for a refund, and I did so without any hubub.... might wanna consider returning it and exchanging it for a different product! :biggrin:

Thanks guys, for starters you are quite right, I also want to know what to avoid in the future as well and had I seen a small blurb on this before buying it and it was negative I would have more than likely avoided it like the plague, even if it was just a few bucks.

I did go over to two other sites (one was "shave my face) and sure enough their reviews were pretty much in agreement with both mine and Joel’s.

Joel, you are spot on when you mentioned that Whole Foods would have taken the soap back either for an even exchange and/or your money back. In the past when I have purchased items and was not satisfied they have ALWAYS taken the product back, I know of one time I picked up some "cream" without realizing it had already expired and they took it back NO QUESTIONS asked. With Whole Foods 99% of the time the customer service is outstanding and I know if I had brought back the soap even if had been partially used they would have either returned my money and/or given me a credit for something else.

On another note I also picked up some Tom's of Maine shaving cream and must admit it was pretty darn good, I used some this morning and will be giving my report in due course.

Thanks!

Joe

hello joe,

sorry to dredge this post up as it is pretty old but i do have a question about the herban cowboy shave soap. even though the lather was thin and a little runny did it provide enough protection to get at least a decent shave. the description you posted is exactly the way i would describe the burma shave soap. that being said, the burma shave soap did provide a decent shave. the colgate shave soap, on the other hand, is only useful as a hockey puck.

thanks,
mike

farangzookzon said:
While shopping in Whole Foods the other day I just happened to come across Herban Cowboy Shave Soap. I thought what the heck so I tossed it into my shopping cart.

The next morning I gave it a shot and to be honest with you I was less than impressed. It did not lather that well and the small amount that did lather did not have much volume to it. As I put it onto my face it quickly thinned out to an almost liquid state. The smell was great and I felt very clean after but overall I was NOT very impressed with it but for under $5 I thought I would give it a shot just the same. I am thinking now to just use it as a bathing soap but who knows.

I also noticed that they also had a big tub of Herban Cowboy shaving cream but for $17 + I did not want to take a chance, it probably was a good decision on my part.

Anyone else out there try this product? Were your experiences similar to mine??

Cheers,

Joe

I bought this soap in June and couldn't get it to lather decently. I got online to do a search on it. Google led me here and the reviews were the same. So technically Herban Cowboy improved my shave because I joined and learned about better products.

I just wanted to add my "not impressed" vote. Amazing scent afterwards, but the lather on my face vanished too quickly and it didn't perform very well for me as a shaving lubricant. Maybe best used for me now as a post-shave face treatment or, as suggested, a shower soap.

I must agree with the general feeling that this soap is terrible for shaving. I tried a puck several months ago, and after working it with both my SR-230 and my C-M Pure Badger brush (great on soaps), I was unable to get a lather that would last more than 30 seconds before drying up and fading away. It did make a passable shower soap. :wink:

I used Herban Cowboy this morning for the first time (a Christmas present from my wife). It is bad. The lather is thin, not-very-protecting, and it disappears rapidly from both my face and the brush. It does, however, lather up fairly easily. It is bad, but it is nowhere near as bad as Caswell-Massey or Anne Lee's.

Why don't these companies reformulate their products once they realize how flawed they are?

Michael

My wife bought the shave cream for me, as local grocery store had it on clearance for 1.99. So it will not work at all with the brush for me. However without the brush it does provide a decent shave. A thin coat before each pass allows a nice close shave. Not sure that I will be buying anymore, unless it goes on clearance again.

Also tried the ASB with shea, which was marked down to $1. It is a very thick consistency, but works well in this cold weather to provide moisterizing to my face. This one I will probably buy again, once Floris and the other stores stop offering all these sales. The shelves only hold so much!!

V

VR6ofpain

I picked up a puck of the "Dusk", because of the clean scent and gray color. I dig the scent. Going to try it in the morning, but I lathered up my brush to test and it worked pretty good. We'll see how the shave goes. It was $3.99, not too pricey, but not too cheap either.

HATE the Herban Cowboy soap. Didn't think about showering with it, though; that might be good.

The Herban Cowboy mug is nice.

V

VR6ofpain

HATE the Herban Cowboy soap.
Well guess what, I used the Dusk soap this morning. Couldn't even do my third pass and I had to re-lather during the first two passes, because it dried up. Serious razor burn on my jaw line. I was horrified. This was the worst shave I have had since I started wetshaving. Amazingly I didn't get any cuts, but the razorburn was ferocious. The good part was Whole Foods took it back with a full refund and apologized for the product not working out for me. Great store, WORTHLESS SHAVE SOAP.

Two thumbs down for Herban Cowboy Dusk shave soap.

Herban Cowboy Shave Soap.....yuk yuk yuk

My wife picked me up a puck of this stuff as a stocking stuffer for XMas, and that is where it belongs, at the bottom of a dirty old sock.

It sure smells nice, but it lathers poorly and shaving with it it feels like you are shaving dry. It is really that bad. I got 1/4 of the way through my first shave with it and that was enough for me, I just didn't want to damage my skin.

You can pick it up here in Canada (Loblaws) for about $4 a puck. Save your money and buy coffee.

It is the worst stuff I have ever tried to shave with.

"It's that bad, eh?"...Yes, it's that bad.:tongue:

I got some herban cowboy shave soap...and I don't know what you guys are talking about! This stuff lathered like a dream, protected well, very slick...

no, just kidding...this is a horrible product, IMHO.

Top Bottom