What's new

Henson razor opinions?

I had bought the mild a year ago and shaved with it about a month and got the medium. I found I did not go back to the mild. Could get the same shave quality with both it was just that the medium got me there faster. Ended up selling the aluminum when I got the titanium. It's all I have shaved with for the last year. The only razor that is tempting me currently is a Yates 921. They are currently out of stock for the machined finish but that gives me time to decide which plate I'll get.
Get the Yates....
S&H Do It.png

Yates 921. They are currently out of stock for the machined finish but that gives me time to decide which plate I'll get.
I had the good fortune to try a 921 on a passaround before purchasing. I did not expect much from the M plate, but it is my Goldilocks razor. For my use, M for the face, H for the dome. The H has a noticeably wider blade gap, but it maintains that "safe" and comfortable feeling of the Henson.

EWK, thanks that is helpful! I am surprised as with the Henson users most prefer the medium on the face and the mild on the dome but you're just the opposite.
Do you think the M plate for the Yates would be comparable to the medium Henson?

EWK, thanks that is helpful! I am surprised as with the Henson users most prefer the medium on the face and the mild on the dome but you're just the opposite.
Do you think the M plate for the Yates would be comparable to the medium Henson?
For me the M plate and my Ti22 medium provide very similar results....as in great. I've been using the H plate for a couple of weeks now and really like it. Still smooth with even more efficiency.....may be my top performer. I'm only a face shaver if that helps.

Last edited:
The M is smoother with less blade feel than the Henson medium, but just as efficient. Just my opinion :)

The handle on the Yates looks slick, to me. Is that true? It has no knurling and I wonder if it would slip around in a wet hand.

The handle on the Yates looks slick, to me. Is that true? It has no knurling and I wonder if it would slip around in a wet hand.
Not sure which one ?
I only have the long skinny handle ? In the stone finish and it has some grip not as much as some but never had issue with it
Its like the Henson the grip is minimal but works :)

Like @Ckmaui said, the bead blast and stone finishes keep it from being overly slippery. I have a general preference for shorter handles, and Yates has one, but for some reason I prefer the longer one; to me it balances better.

After a week of shaving with the Feather AS-D2, I shaved with the Henson Mild this morning and both are top performers. In my opinion, for those considering either one I would suggest the Henson. Given the price points, diminishing returns are quickly met here. I was fortunate to find the Feather on eBay for a good price. If I had to pick one as the daily driver it would definitely be the Henson.
IMG_8636.jpg

For me the M plate and my Ti22 medium provide very similar results....as in great. I've been using the H plate for a couple of weeks now and really like it. Still smooth with even more efficiency.....may be my top performer. I'm only a face shaver if that helps.
I bought the Yates bundle with both m and h plates, looking forward to it arriving later next week.

I tried all the Yates plates on a pass round and they were not for me. I like shaving with a shallow angle and these razors crave a steep one. Got good shaved but I just didn't enjoy them much. To each his own. I know a lot of people absolutely love the Yates razors.

NICE!!!
The H plate has become my favorite and has brought the Yates to my number 1 spot. Hope it works out as well for you.
Man, if it does I may have to sell the Henson ti, but hopefully they both have their place. I just like staying more minimalist 😊

Man, if it does I may have to sell the Henson ti, but hopefully they both have their place. I just like staying more minimalist 😊
For me, the Yates M and Henson Ti22 medium are very similar in performance (as far as end results). They both get there a little differently. The H plate takes it up a notch, while still being a daily shaver....I'm really liking it.

I still have my Ti Henson and plan to keep it as it does perform superbly. I like the uniqueness of its styling and it's the only Ti razor in my den.

For me, the Yates M and Henson Ti22 medium are very similar in performance (as far as end results). They both get there a little differently. The H plate takes it up a notch, while still being a daily shaver....I'm really liking it.

I still have my Ti Henson and plan to keep it as it does perform superbly. I like the uniqueness of its styling and it's the only Ti razor in my den.
Did you ever try the eh plate just to check the full spectrum?

I have the EH, but do not use it much. It does increase the blade gap and feel while maintaining that safe and comfortable feel, but for me it does not add any appreciable efficiency. For my general use, I prefer M on the face, H on the head.

Yes, I have the EH plate too. It definitely takes off more whiskers, but loses some smoothness and comfort over the H. Results are stellar, but the EH moves out of daily use for me. It would make a great every 2-3 day razor like my R41GS. For me, the H plate works best for super close, comfortable daily shaves....it really is a great razor.

Top Bottom